The Actuator is a mechanism item sold by the Mechanic for 10 silver coins each. When activated, the tile it sits on toggles between active and inactive state, effectively allowing any block to be toggled in this way like Active Stone Blocks.
Like Wire, Actuators are normally invisible and only become visible when a mechanism item is selected and are removed with the Wire Cutter.
Using Actuators in place of doors creates Blood Moon proof entrances, as well as doors your NPCs won't wander through.
In the Mobile version they will not appear until wire is placed onto it.
- Actuators can work on platforms and teleporters, but otherwise only work on blocks and traps.
- Most furniture on top of a block/platform with an actuator will be freed when the actuator activates.
- Actuators won't activate if they are right under a tree, Demon Altar, Crimson Altar, or any chests (even if the chest is empty).
- Any plants growing on a block which is put into its inactive state by an actuator will be destroyed as if you swing a tool at it. This can be used to harvest mushroom farms. Herbs, however, will remain on the inactive block.
- Liquids can pass through blocks which an actuator has made inactive, but falling blocks like sand, silt and slush will still be supported.
- Actuators can be used to pass through Hellstone in the underworld without generating lava, and can similarly be used to pass through hive blocks without generating honey or spawning bees.
- Inactive Ebonstone, Crimstone, and Pearlstone Blocks will still count towards the formation of their respective biomes.
- If you stand inside an inactive block and it becomes active, you will be able to move inside the 6 blocks you are in but will be stopped by other blocks. This may be used for protection.
- Naturally occurring Lihzahrd Bricks may not be actuated until Plantera has been defeated.
- NPCs can spawn on top of Actuated blocks and thus fall through them.
- Traps that use Actuated blocks around the NPCs spawning area can often end up killing the NPCs.
- In the console edition a locked jungle temple door is considered an actuatable block.
- A Portal Gun can place portals on blocks that have actuators in them.
- 1.2.4: Actuated tiles no longer remove the water over them on world load.
- 1.2.3: Fixed bug where inactive tiles counted for sticky purposes (ex: Sticky Bomb).
- 220.127.116.11: Actuators no longer work on unlocked or made by and/or placed down by man doors.
- 18.104.22.168: You can no longer use actuators to deactivate temple blocks before killing Plantera.
- 1.2: Introduced.