The Antlion is an enemy found in Deserts during the day, and are also found in Underground Deserts. They remain stationary with their head sticking out of the ground, and will shoot sand at players when they enter their line of sight. They can only launch their projectile at an upwards angle (straight upwards or within ~45 degrees to the left or right), so approaching from lower ground means you will usually be out of their line of fire. Antlions will climb up walls if they are touching a wall. They can be rather annoying to less experienced Terraria players.
On the Console versions and Mobile versions, the Albino Antlion variant also appears.
- Because the Antlion creates Sand Blocks as it attacks, sand is a renewable resource, although one renewed slowly.
- If you have a lead/iron bow, use unholy arrows and stay more than 30 blocks back. It won't always hit you and you will kill it quickly.
- It has been seen in the Mobile version that Antlions have somewhat rare and limited movement across the desert, instead of being entirely stationary.
- If faced with a incline facing directly upward, Antlions will climb very slowly toward the player. This happens on all versions, and prevents them from burying themselves.
- The Antlion is based on real life antlion larvae which dig sand pits as traps for other insects. The antlion will throw sand at escaping prey, causing its victims to fall down and tumble down into the center of the pit where the hungry antlion is waiting.
- The NPC ID Image contains only the Head. The Body, is stored not by an ID, but rather by its name: AntlionBody.png
- May now drop up to two Antlion Mandibles
- Sprite updated
- Now has new sound effects
- 184.108.40.206: Can now drop its respective banner.
- Chance of dropping Antlion Mandible increased from 1 in 10 (10%) to 1 in 7 (14.29%)
- Projectile damage reduced from 20 to 10
- 1.0.5: Introduced.