Ingame Animation of the Beam Sword.
The Beam Sword is a powerful, rare Hardmode sword that deals 52 damage and fires a gold colored projectile. The beam will travel a near-infinite distance, but is stopped by blocks and does not pierce enemies. With its rate of attack the player may be able to perform three "beamless" swings before it is ready to fire another beam. The best modifier for this weapon is Legendary.
It can be obtained by killing Armored Skeletons, which have a 0.67% (1 in 150) chance of dropping it.
- The beam cannot penetrate terrain, or more than one enemy.
- The beam has an internal cool-down of approximately 1 second.
- This weapon will not swing continuously.
- The weapon cannot be switched to another item while the beam is on cool-down
- If attacking an enemy from close range, the player can easily get two quick, simultaneous hits with the sword and beam combined.
- The "beam" also emits a faint light, making it useful for exploration.
- This sword is more powerful than the Excalibur. But once transformed in True Excalibur, this latter sword becomes more powerful again. These 3 swords are often compared because of the similarity of their special projectile attack.
- Hitting an enemy with the Beam of the sword will cancel the attack.
- It seems to be a more powerful version of the Enchanted Sword, and can be considered a direct upgrade.
- This sword could be a reference to the Master Sword from The Legend of Zelda. Several other video games have since featured swords that fire sword-shaped beams.