As of 1.2, All blocks can be collected with a Pickaxe or Drill (Drills are not available until world enters Hardmode). Rare blocks may require higher-grade Tools to mine. Blocks can also be transformed into bottom half-blocks and 45 Degree Right angled triangles (from bottom left corner of tile to bottom right corner, and the other block from top left corner to bottom right corner) with a Hammer.
The only blocks that can't be mined with a Pickaxe or Drill are any blocks with a Tree, Chest or Demon Altar/Crimson Altar on top, which need to be harvested using an Axe for the tree, Pickaxe or Drill for the Chest, and Pwnhammer, Drax, or The Axe for the altar first. Additionally, every Block with any kind of Grass growing on it can not be mined but instead the Grass on the block will be destroyed and only the Dirt or the Mud it grew on remains.
The Tools listed below are the minimum required tools for harvesting the specified block. Incomplete as of 1.2.1.
 Usual blocks
 Corrupted/Hallowed blocks
- Tool: the lowest tier of a tool capable for mining that type of block.
- Demonite Ore can be mined with any type of pickaxe when found above ground level. Below ground level it must be mined with a Gold Pickaxe or better.
- Hellstone will be invulnerable to explosives until the Wall of Flesh has been defeated. After that, any explosive will destroy it.
Gems are valuable materials that can be found in veins underground, embedded in Stone blocks or on the sides of Stone blocks, which will drop the gem when mined. When placed, they will be embedded in Stone. Amber is also a gem, but cannot be placed, nor is it found in stone.
Bricks are a sub-type of placeable blocks that can be used to build a house or to craft background walls. Pink, blue and green bricks cannot be crafted and are mined from the Dungeon instead. Lihzahrd Bricks can only be mined from the Jungle temple with a Picksaw. Bricks can be recovered with a pickaxe once placed.
|Normal (Gray • Stone Slab • Red • Mudstone • Obsidian • Iridescent • Pearlstone • Ebonstone • Snow • Ice • Stucco (Gray • Red • Green • Yellow) • Sandstone • Bone • Rainbow)|
Ore (Copper • Tin • Silver • Tungsten • Gold • Platinum • Demonite • Hellstone • Cobalt • Palladium • Mythril • Bubblegum • Adamantite • Titanstone)
Dungeon (Blue • Green • Pink • Lihzahrd)
Mechanisms were introduced in version 1.1 and can be found in caves and tunnel systems throughout the world.
|Mechanism||Ingredient (s)||Crafting Station|
|Active Stone Block||Stone Block x 1 + Wire x 1||By Hand|
|Inactive Stone Block||Stone Wall x 4 + Wire x 1||By Hand|
|Boulder||Stone Block x 6||Tinkerer's Workshop|
|Dart Trap||Cannot be crafted|
|Super Dart Trap||Cannot be crafted|
|Spear Trap||Cannot be crafted|
|Spiky Ball Trap||Cannot be crafted|
|Flame Trap||Cannot be crafted|
|Teleporter||Sold by Steampunker|
- Shooting a projectile into a right angled block may cause the projectile to behave unexpectedly, such as a Meteor Shot not ricocheting or a shot from a Diamond Staff going through the wall. Projectiles shot through stacked half-blocks work as expected, moving past any opening in the block texture if it can fit.
- If you throw a big enough item outside of your inventory, and you are near a 1 block wall, the item will go through the block wall.
 See also