You can tell a Blood Moon is out when the sky turns red. There is something about it that causes monsters to swarm.
"The Blood Moon is rising..."
A Blood Moon is a common randomly occurring event that takes place over the course of an entire night. It causes several hazards for its duration: Enemy spawns increase, even near your Home and NPCs (where enemies do not normally spawn), Zombies become able to open Doors, and Bunnies, Penguins, and Goldfish transform into dangerous enemies, along with other effects (see below). Blood Moons are signaled by the message "The Blood Moon is rising..." in the lower left corner of the screen, and the moon, sky, water, and rain will appear red for their duration. A reddish-pink filter will also be present in all above-ground areas.
A Blood Moon will only occur if at least one player in the world has over 120 life, and only on nights when a moon is present (any night except a new moon). Given those criteria, a Blood Moon has a 1 in 9 chance (11.11%) of occurring. Without taking the current moon into consideration, there is an overall chance of approximately 1 in 10 (1/9 * 7/8 = 7/72, or 9.72%).
Content[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Drops||For Sale|
From The Groom:
From The Bride:
From Clown (in Hardmode):
| From Arms Dealer:
| From Dryad:
Effects[edit | edit source]
Enemies[edit | edit source]
- The spawn rate of monsters on the surface increases. Dripplers , Blood Zombies , The Groom, and The Bride have a chance to spawn. Enemies not only spawn faster, but more are spawned than can normally exist on-screen at once. This works no matter the environment, so Corruption enemies can also swarm even more than they normally would, for example.
- Enemies can even spawn near NPCs and their houses, whereas those usually suppress enemy spawns. Player-placed walls are not necessarily safe during this event.
- Zombies and their counterparts can open doors.
- Goldfish become Corrupt Goldfish/Crimtane Goldfish, and Bunnies become Corrupt Bunnies/Crimtane Bunnies. Those spawned from Statues are Corrupt/Crimtane, and they do not revert to regular Goldfish or Bunnies after the Blood Moon is over. If it is raining during the event, transformed Goldfish will flop around on the ground.
Sold items[edit | edit source]
- The Merchant sells Throwing Knives.
- The Arms Dealer sells Silver Bullets.
- The Clothier sells the Mime Mask, Fallen Tuxedo Shirt and Fallen Tuxedo Pants .
- The Dryad stops selling Purification Powder, Sunflowers, and Grass Seeds.
- The Painter sells Evil Presence painting.
- The Steampunker sells Purple Solution (if the Corruption is present) or Red Solution (if the Crimson is present) instead of Green Solution.
- The Cyborg sells Rocket II ammunition.
- The Skeleton Merchant sells the Slap Hand .
Other effects[edit | edit source]
- Deathweed blooms. Blood moons are the only time you can harvest Deathweed Seeds from Deathweed (other than during a full moon, as of 1.3).
- Most NPCs have their own unique lines commenting on the event. Female NPCs act annoyed or rude (except for the Party Girl), as this is likely a reference to drastic mood change occurring at a certain time in the menstrual cycle. The red color of a blood moon further supports this.
- As said before, water will turn red, including rain. A red filter will be applied to the screen as well, shifting the colors of all entities and light towards reds and purples.
Achievements[edit | edit source]
|Bloodbath • "Survive a Blood Moon, a nocturnal event where the rivers run red and monsters swarm aplenty"|
|Survive your first Blood Moon.|
|Red Moon Rises • "You have survive the Blood Moon!"|
|Survive your first Blood Moon.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Blood Moon's effects on monster spawn rates stack with that of the Water Candle and Battle Potion.
- Whether or not a Blood Moon will occur is determined at dusk each night.
- Every nightfall has an equal chance of being a Blood Moon and does not change if the previous night was a Blood Moon. It is possible to have four or more Blood Moons in a row and, conversely, a Blood Moon will not necessarily occur even over the course of many in-game weeks.
- In a multiplayer game, using the time adjustment server commands (dawn, noon, dusk, midnight) do not trigger the Blood Moon check, and so using "dusk" repeatedly does not force a Blood Moon to occur.
- Water in an Ocean biome will not turn red even though all other water in biomes will. However, the blue water is still affected by the red shader, giving it a purple colour.
- If a player chooses to, they can cancel a Blood Moon by summoning the Pumpkin Moon or Frost Moon. Most players would not do this, as early players would not have access to those event summoning items, and end-game players would not want to waste a Naughty Present or Pumpkin Moon Medallion.
- A Blood Moon can happen in the middle of a Pirate Invasion. The invasion will still go on until it ends, then the Blood Moon starts. A Blood Moon can also occur during Slime Rain.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- A Blood Moon only affects the surface. Players can avoid it entirely by staying underground.
- During a blood moon in Hardmode, every enemy has a 1 in 1000 (0.1%) chance of dropping the KO Cannon.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In real life, the Moon appears red during lunar eclipses, and is sometimes referred to as a "Blood Moon". As sunlight passes into the shadow through the atmosphere, the Moon is given a red/orange color due to the amount of air the light passes through. This is the same phenomenon that gives sunsets and sunrises such colors.
- Because of the celestial significance of the moon in Earth's sky, combined with its tendency to change its apparent color, the moon symbolically or literally turning the color of blood is a recurring theme in historical and popular contexts, repeatedly appearing in books, movies and video games as an ill omen- and often being treated as one when it occurs in real life.
- One of the earliest references to a blood moon appears as one of the "Seven Signs of the Apocalypse" in the biblical book of Revelation, which states, "And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;..."
- When a real Blood Moon occurred on April 14, 2014, a warning was jokingly announced on the official Terraria forums.
- During a Blood Moon, most female NPCs use more irritable or aggressive dialogue than normal. This may be a reference to the menstrual cycle.
References[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- 220.127.116.11: The Dryad will now sell Vicious Powder in a Crimson world.
- 1.2.4: Rain no longer cancels Blood Moon, and now falls as blood.
- The water during this event now turns blood red.
- The KO Cannon now has a chance of dropping from enemies during this event.
- Bunnies/Goldfish spawned from statues no longer drop money during a Blood Moon.
- 1.1: The chance of a Blood Moon was decreased to 1/9 from its previous chance of 1/7.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Random Events||Rain • Slime Rain • Blood Moon • Sandstorm • Solar Eclipse|
|Summoned Events||Goblin Army • Frost Legion • Pirate Invasion • Solar Eclipse • Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon • Martian Madness • Lunar Events • Party|
|Seasonal Events||Chinese New Year • Valentine's Day • St. Patrick's Day • Easter • Oktoberfest • Thanksgiving • Halloween • Christmas|
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages|
|Interface||Minimap • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Mining speed • Pickaxe Power • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Rarity • Storage • Use time • Value|
|Game||Settings (desktop version) Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Death • Defense • Drowning • Fall damage • Ghost • Health • Health regeneration • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|