You can tell a Blood Moon is out when the sky turns red. There is something about it that causes monsters to swarm.
A Blood Moon is a common, randomly occurring event that takes place over the course of an entire night. It causes several hazards for its duration: Enemy spawns increase, even near your Home and NPCs (where enemies do not normally spawn), Zombies become able to open Doors, and Bunnies, Penguins, and Goldfish transform into dangerous enemies, along with other effects (see below). Blood Moons are signaled by the message "The Blood Moon is rising..." in the lower left corner of the screen, and the moon, sky, water, and rain will appear red for their duration.
A Blood Moon will only occur if at least one player in the world has over 120 life, and only on nights when a moon is present (any night except a new moon). Given those criteria, a Blood Moon has a 1 in 9 chance (11.11%) of occurring. Without taking the current moon into consideration, there is an overall chance of approximately 1 in 10 (1/9 * 7/8 = 7/72, or 9.72%).
|Characters||Unique Drops||For Sale|
| From Groom:
| From the Arms Dealer:
| From Dryad:
- The spawn rate of monsters on the surface increases, and The Groom has a chance to spawn. Enemies not only spawn faster, but more are spawned than can normally exist on-screen at once. This works no matter the environment, so Corruption enemies can also swarm even more than they normally would, for example.
- Enemies can spawn even near NPCs and their houses, whereas those usually suppress enemy spawns.
- The Merchant sells Throwing Knives
- The Arms Dealer sells Silver Bullets
- The Clothier sells the Mime Mask. On the console version, he will sell George's Tuxedo for male players and Fabulous Outfit for female players
- The Dryad stops selling Purification Powder, Sunflowers, and Grass Seeds, and starts selling Vile Powder, Corrupt Seeds and Crimson Seeds. If you have the console version, she will sell you Sparkly Wings
- The Painter sells Evil Presence painting
- The Steampunker sells Purple Solution (if the Corruption is present) or Red Solution (if the Crimson is present) instead of Green Solution
- The Cyborg sells Rocket II ammunition.
- Deathweed blooms. Blood moons are the only time you can harvest Deathweed Seeds from Deathweed.
- Most NPCs have their own unique lines commenting on the event. Female NPCs act annoyed or rude (except for the Party Girl).
- All water will turn a blood red color in all biomes except for the Ocean. If it is raining, the rain drops will also appear red.
- The Blood Moon's effects on monster spawn rates stack with that of the Water Candle and Battle Potion.
- Whether or not a Blood Moon will occur is determined at dusk each night.
- Every nightfall has an equal chance of being a Blood Moon, and does not change if the previous night was a Blood Moon. It is possible to have four or more Blood Moons in a row and, conversely, a Blood Moon will not necessarily occur even over the course of many in-game weeks.
- In a multiplayer game, using the time adjustment server commands (dawn, noon, dusk, midnight) do not trigger the Blood Moon check, and so using "dusk" repeatedly does not force a Blood Moon to occur.
- Blood Moons are most likely a reference to The Bible prophecy in Revelation 6:12. At the end of the world, 'the sun will become black as sackcloth, and the full moon will become like blood'. In Terraria, however, the world will not end shortly afterwards, but death is still fairly probable, especially to newer players.
- Water in an Ocean Biome will not turn red even though all other water in Biomes will.
- A Blood Moon only affects the surface. Players can avoid it entirely by staying underground.
- During a blood moon, every enemy has a 0.1% chance of dropping the KO Cannon.
- One of the "Seven Signs of the Apocalypse" in the Bible states, "...on the 6th sign the moon will arise, showing the color of blood, bringing with it the demons that prowled the Earth, but were sealed away. Then they will feast on those who doubted...".
- In real life, the Moon appears red during lunar eclipses, and is sometimes referred to as a "Blood Moon". As sunlight passes into the shadow through the atmosphere, the Moon is given a red/orange color due to the amount of air the light passes through. It is the same phenomenon that gives sunsets and sunrises such colors.
- During a Blood Moon, most female NPCs use more irritable or aggressive dialogue than normal. This may be a tongue-in-cheek reference to female menstruation, a cyclic discharge of blood which can cause emotional disturbances and was once believed to be associated with lunar cycles.
- When a real Blood Moon occurred on April 14, 2014, a warning was jokingly announced on the official Terraria forums.
- 1.2.4: Rain no longer cancels Blood Moon, and now falls as blood.
- The water during this event now turns blood red.
- The KO Cannon now has a chance of dropping from enemies during this event.
- Bunnies/Goldfish spawned from statues no longer drop money during a Bloodmoon.
- 1.1: The chance of a Blood Moon was decreased to 1/9 from its previous chance of 1/7.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Game mechanics|
|Attack Speed • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Music • NPC drops • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Storage • Use time • Value • Velocity|