Brain of Cthulhu
The Brain of Cthulhu is a pre-Hardmode boss, which is from the Crimson biome that resembles a large flying brain. It spawns when players destroy 3 Crimson Hearts, or when a player uses a Bloody Spine.
20 to 30 Creepers spawn along with the Brain and orbit at high speed. All Creepers must be destroyed first: As long as even one survives, the Brain cannot be damaged. Once the Creepers are destroyed, they will not respawn, and the Brain itself becomes vulnerable to attacks.
The Brain of Cthulhu is the Crimson counterpart to the Corruption's Eater of Worlds. Much like its cousin, fighting it is essential for progression, as the Brain and its attendant Creepers are the only source of Tissue Samples and usable quantities of Crimtane Ore, which are required to craft advanced tools and armor. Note that, like with the Eater of Worlds, actually defeating the Brain of Cthulhu is not completely necessary, as long as you are able to destroy enough Creepers to get the materials you need.
Attacks[edit | edit source]
First phase[edit | edit source]
The Brain itself is initially invincible. It teleports around the player, drawing nearer before teleporting away again in a random direction while its Creeper minions attack. The Creepers do not teleport along with the Brain, but are instead pulled between the player and the Brain in large, sweeping orbits. Once all Creepers are defeated, the Brain enters its second phase. In Expert Mode, Creepers can inflict various status effects.
Second phase[edit | edit source]
In the second phase, the Brain becomes vulnerable to attacks, and aggressively attempts to ram the player before teleporting away.
Expert mode[edit | edit source]
Also in the second phase, 3 mirror images of the Brain appear to distract the player, and become more visible as the boss loses health. And just like the creepers in expert mode, the brain can also cause various status effects, such as Darkness, Silenced and Weak.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Mastermind • "Defeat the Brain of Cthulhu, an enourmous demon brain which haunts the creeping crimson."|
|Defeat the Brain of Cthulhu for the first time.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Creepers drop Hearts at a higher rate than most enemies.
- Creepers are more aggressive on Expert Mode.
- You can summon two Brains at once by smashing Crimson Hearts. They seem to share their Creepers and go in second phase simultaneously.
- If the player leaves the Crimson, the Brain of Cthulhu will disappear (unless one manages to lure it into The Corruption). This also happens when breaking Crimson Hearts outside of the Crimson biome (this is possible if surrounding Crimson is converted by Purification Powder or the Clentaminator) - the message text for the boss is displayed, and the boss spawns, but it will quickly sink through the map and despawn, usually before entering the player's screen.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- As Creepers drop Tissue Samples and Crimtane Ore fairly frequently, it's technically not necessary to defeat the Brain of Cthulhu to gain access to Crimson-tier equipment, only to kill a couple of Creepers and secure their drops.
- Creepers have low individual health and are especially susceptible to the On Fire! and Frostburn debuffs, so weapons that inflict those can make quick work of them.
- The Brain of Cthulhu is the only boss susceptible to knockback. Weapons with high knockback such as the The Rotted Fork can keep both Creepers and the Brain from closing distance between teleports.
- Jester's Arrows or other enemy-piercing weapons can be immensely helpful while fighting the first stage of the Brain of Cthulhu because Creepers often line up in a relatively straight formation, effectively allowing the player to hit most if not all of the Creepers in one well-aimed shot.
- Since the Brain of Cthulhu spawns as soon as you smash a third Crimson Heart, you are likely to be in tight quarters when the attack begins. This can lead to you being swarmed by the Creepers and overwhelmed. You will likely have a much easier time defeating the boss by summoning it manually in the large main room of the Crimson area.
- Using ~25-40 Grenades can be a very easy way of defeating the boss. Grenades can be very effective against the Creepers.
- Building a closed box (about 15x15) and using Water Bolt constantly is a great way to fight Brain of Cthulhu, bolts will kill any Creeper that gets into a box, triggering Brain of Cthulhu's second form within seconds and will also keep it away by knocking it back it every time it teleports. Make sure you have enough Mana or Mana Flower, because you will have to spam Water Bolt all the time. Similar tactic can be used against Eater of Worlds.
- For Expert Mode, Bone Javelins can be used to reveal the real brain, as they stick out of it.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Brain of Cthulhu, along with the Eye of Cthulhu, is based on the character Cthulhu from the works of the author H.P. Lovecraft.
- Unlike the correlation between the Eater of Worlds and The Destroyer, the Brain of Cthulhu does not have a Hardmode counterpart.
- The Brain of Cthulhu has the least HP out of all the bosses, with even less than the Eye of Cthulhu in its second form. However, if counting the health of the creepers, it has more health than King Slime.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.2: Introduced.