The Broken Hero Sword is a Hardmode crafting material. It is not itself a weapon, and cannot be swung, reforged, or placed on a Weapon Rack. It is dropped during the Solar Eclipse event, but what it drops from varies by platform.
On the Desktop version, the Broken Hero Sword has a 25% (30.94%) chance of being dropped by Mothron, which starts to spawn after all three Mechanical Bosses have been defeated. On the Console versions and Mobile versions, it is instead dropped by Frankensteins and Swamp Things, with a 0.4% (1/250) chance to drop.
Mobile and Console Versions[edit | edit source]
- Given the drop rate, it can be a good idea to use Water Candles and/or Battle Potions during a Solar Eclipse, to increase the chances of having more multiples dropped.
- As of 126.96.36.199 it is now more profitable to turn excess Broken Hero Swords into True Excaliburs, as long as you have surplus of Hallowed Bars. Base sell value of that item is 10 , with the next best alternative use for the Bars selling for 5 , resulting in a net profit of an additional 3 per Broken Hero Sword.
- This item is an allusion to the classic literary trope of the disgraced or defeated hero who must repair their sword, or the similar trope of taking up the weapon of a past hero (perhaps killed by the monster dropping this item) to fulfill a destiny.
- 188.8.131.52: No longer used to directly craft the Terra Blade.
- No longer dropped by Frankensteins and Swamp Things, now only drops from Mothron.
- 1.2: Introduced.