| Broken Hero Sword
|| Crafting material
| Max stack
The Broken Hero Sword is a high-tier Hardmode material that is used for the highest tier sword, the Terra Blade, however cannot be used by itself offensively. The Broken Hero Sword has a 1 in 250 chance (0.4%) of dropping from either a Frankenstein or Swamp Thing during a Solar Eclipse, which can only happen in a Hardmode world.
 Used in
- Given the drop rate, and that three Broken Hero Swords are needed to craft the Terra Blade, it can be a good idea for high tier characters to use Water Candles and/or Battle Potions during a solar eclipse, to increase the player's chances of getting three.
- This item may be an allusion to the classic literary trope of the disgraced or defeated hero who must repair their sword.
- It may also be an allusion to the similar trope of taking up the weapon of a past hero (perhaps killed by the monster dropping this item) to fulfill a destiny.
- It is likely this is a reference to the Zelda games, as the hilt is similarly shaped to the one on the master sword, and the in game version of Link's clothes are called the Hero's clothes. Also, broken powerful swords exist in the Zelda series too.
- It could also be a reference to Lord Of The Rings, as the sprite looks similar to the broken sword Narsil.
- It could also be a reference to League of Legends' champion: Riven, who carries a broken sword. When she uses her ultimate, she similarly repairs her sword for a short duration to deal greater damage.
- It could also be a reference to Dark Souls in which your character starts out with a broken sword, Similarly, one can smith said sword into a powerful blade near the end of the game.