A Cactus is both a Plant and an Item that drops when the plant is harvested using an axe or mining the block below the plant.
The Cactus Plant can be found in the Desert biome (and its variants) on sand. Cactus Plants can be chopped down like trees, which drops the Cactus item. Mining the Sand blocks beneath a Cactus plant will quickly destroy the entire plant and yield all possible Cactus items. Corrupt, crimson, and hallowed cacti, when broken, will still drop the cactus item. Cacti will sometimes grow Pink Prickly Pears.
Cactus Plants will only grow under the following conditions:
- There needs to be at least one thick layer of sand below it.
- The Cactus requires one space of open ground to either side. A raised tile will block growth, but a lower tile will not.
- The sand it grows on needs to be above the ground level.
- They only grow at least 378 blocks away from the edges of the world, i.e. not in zone where the Ocean biome can be generated.
In a Crimson, Hallowed, or Corrupt desert, the cactus flower sprite appears the same color as if it were in a regular desert.
Corrupt cactus with a regular cactus flower sprite.
The updated cacti in 1.2.3 still grow pink flowers.
|| Crafting material
| Max stack
Cactus is a crafting material obtained from chopping down Cactus Plants (described above), in the same manner as trees. It can also be harvested by removing or hammering a sand block below the base of the cactus.
Cactus is used to craft the Swiftness Potion and Thorns Potion. It can also be placed and used as a building material. It also provides early-game armor and weaponry.
- The most effective way of selling cactus is to make it into cactus swords.
- 1.2.4: Used is to craft Cactus Clock and Cactus Sofa.
- 1.2.3: Added more cactus variations.
- More cactus furniture and lighting introduced.
- Cactus weapons, armor, and furniture introduced.
- New pink prickly pears will grow on the top of cacti.
- Can now be placed and used as a building material.
- Stack limit was increased from 250 to 999.
- 1.1: No longer damages players.
- 1.0.6: No longer causes knockback when damaging players and no longer destroys blocks above when growing.
- 1.0.5: Introduced.