Cactus is both a Plant and an item that drops when that plant is harvested.
 Cactus plant
The Cactus Plant can be found in the Desert biome on sand. Cactus Plants can be chopped down like trees, which drops the Cactus item. Mining the Sand blocks beneath a Cactus plant will quickly destroy the entire plant and yield all possible Cactus items.
Cactus Plants will only grow under the following conditions:
- There needs to be at least one thick layer of sand below it.
- The Cactus requires one space of open ground to either side. A raised tile will block growth, but a lower tile will not.
- The sand it grows on needs to be above the ground level.
- They only grow at least 378 blocks away from the edges of the world, i.e. not in zone where the Ocean biome can be generated.
 Cactus item
|| Crafting material
| Max stack
Cactus is a crafting material obtained from chopping down Cactus Plants (described above), in the same manner as trees. It can also be harvested by removing a sand block below the base of the cactus.
After being harvested, it can not be placed by the player. Cactus is used to craft the Swiftness Potion and Thorns Potion.
 Used in
- 1.1: No longer damages players.
- 1.0.6: No longer causes knockback when damaging players and no longer destroys blocks above when growing.
- 1.0.5: Introduced.