|| 2 wide ˣ 2 high
| Max stack
| Use time
Chests are storage items that hold up to 40 item stacks in rows of 10x4. They can only be freed and picked up when empty, which is done using a Pickaxe. It is impossible to destroy the blocks underneath the chest while it still has items in it.
In addition to being craftable, chests also occur naturally in random map locations and contain various loot.
Placed chests, with other storage items
- Before opening a chest outside of a dungeon in a hardmode world, it would be advisable to use a ranged weapon on it. If the chest is really a mimic, it will take damage and start chasing the player.
- All crafted Chests can be sold for 1 , except: The Dynasty Chest, Steampunk Chest, and Honey Chest, which all sell for 5 ; and the Glass Chest, which sells for 60 .
- Any Chest whose ingredients specify Iron Bars can alternatively be crafted using Lead Bars.
Ordinary Chests that occur naturally on the Surface contain various loot that the player can take and place in their own inventory. Each chest contains a single "rare item" and an assortment of randomly chosen common items.
Clicking an NPC while it is in front of a chest will make it so that you can not open that chest until the world is reset or another chest is open by the player that gliched it. Only tested on PC.
Magic Mirroring while renaming a chest soft locks the keyboard controls, but this can be fixed by going into the settings menu.
When renaming a chest, if you enter another chest before saving the name, the new chest will receive the name and the other will reset.
Putting inventory hacked items in chests and changing to another character will make the items in it inaccessible and will have their ID's for names.
Placing items in a chest (or a Piggy Bank
) can suddenly make all items disappear the next time you open it.
Placing weapons with modifiers ex. Legendary terra blade will change the item to its state prior to the reforge.
Sometimes, if you break locked chest (Works with shadow chests) with a corner gone or something missing, it will drop a chest even though it's locked. And it will still be there. You can farm chests because it doesn't go away.
Rarely, after picking up or crafting a chest, the player will not be able to place any kind of chest, or open any chest.
Dropping an item from a chest menu may cause it to disappear.
Rarely, if a chest is placed next to a door, upon reloading the world, the chest sprite will only half appear, the absent half towards the door. When the door is opened from the other side, a chest will be dropped, and the original chest and its contents will be unaffected. Repeating the action with rare chests and selling the drops is a profitable farm.(Confirmed on console and mobile)
- Biome Chests have recipes.
- Right-clicking to open a chest, Piggy Bank or Safe will no longer pick up an item from the stack where the cursor is.
- Added Glass Chest.
- 1.2.4: Fixed the crash when a chest is placed above but not directly on a Boulder.
- Fixed a bug where Chests could not be placed on 2x1 tiles. There had to be a solid tile to the right of the chest to place it.
- Fixed bug where opening a chest with a sign open would lock the inventory.
- Fixed the problem with altars/pots/chests spawning in bugged conditions.
- Chests should no longer lose their names in multiplayer.
- Shadewood, ebonwood, rich mahogany and pearlwoos sprites updated.
- Added more chests.
- Placed chests can now be renamed. Hovering the mouse cursor over a renamed chest will show its name. The default chest is shown for ANY chest (even ones that were renamed) called "Chest".
- Boulders with Chests on them no longer crash the game if the boulder is hit.
- Fixed bug where chests could be placed in bad positions (e.g. ice blocks or sloped tiles in worldgen).
- Fixed a crash when you destroy a teleporter with a chest on top.
- 184.108.40.206: Opening a chest can no longer grab items from it automatically on a small screen.
- 220.127.116.11: People playing on small screens should no longer auto equip an item from a chest or pick it up.
- 18.104.22.168: Chests, crystal hearts, and statues should no longer spawn on ice (Thin Ice).
- Now broken with a pickaxe.
- All chests have doubled capacity
- Music box/chest duping no longer works.
- Active blocks will no longer become inactive with a chest on them.
- Chests now have larger loot tables.
- 1.1.1: Fixed an issue that caused stacked coins to go missing from chests during multiplayer.
- 22.214.171.124: No longer contain stacks of empty item.
- 1.0.6: All wooden Chests generated in the Dungeon now contain Golden Keys, needed to open the locked Gold Chests.
- Chests now spawn on the Surface, containing items to help new players survive.
- Chests now contain loot based on the level they spawn in.
- Most of the pre-generated chests replaced with Gold Chests.
- 1.0.1: Sand directly under a chest no longer falls due to gravity.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.