|Dimensions||2 wide ˣ 2 high|
The Chest is a Storage item, likely the first one the player will have access to. It can hold up to 40 item stacks in rows of 10x4. They can only be broken with a Pickaxe when empty, and it is impossible to destroy the blocks underneath the chest while it still has items in it.
In addition to being craftable, chests are also generated in caves close to the surface of the world, containing early game loot. They also spawn in the Dungeon, where they will always contain a Golden Key. Chests with loot spawn all over the rest of the world as well, but other biomes have different types of chest. In addition to the normal wooden chest, there are also Rich Mahogany Chests, Ebonwood Chests, Shadewood Chests and Pearlwood Chests, which must be crafted from their respective wood types and are never generated with the world.
The loot for any given chest is determined by the location in which it is found. Each chest contains a single "rare item" and an assortment of randomly chosen common items. The rare item is first placed in the chest, then each set of common items is checked to see whether or not it will be added. If a set is chosen to be added then a single item from the list is added to the chest.
- Before opening a chest outside of a dungeon in a hardmode world, it would be advisable to throw something such as a boomerang or Magic Missile at it. If the chest is really a mimic, it will take damage and start chasing the player.
- Now broken with a pickaxe.
- All chests have doubled capacity
- 1.1.1: Fixed an issue that caused stacked coins to go missing from chests during multiplayer.
- 184.108.40.206: No longer contain stacks of empty item.
- 1.0.6: All wooden Chests generated in the Dungeon now contain Golden Keys, needed to open the locked Gold Chests.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Chest (Ivy • Ebonwood • Ice • Lihzahrd • Living Wood • Gold • Pearlwood • Rich Mahogany • Shadewood • Shadow • Skyware • Water • Web Covered)|
Hardmode Dungeon Chest (Corruption • Crimson • Frozen • Jungle • Hallowed)
Piggy Bank • Safe
Trash Can • Barrel
|Ore • Bar|
Iron Anvil • Sawmill • Cooking Pot • Chain
Chest • Barrel • Trash Can • Toilet • Bathtub • Lamp Post
Pickaxe • Axe • Hammer • Broadsword • Shortsword • Bow • Flamethrower
Armor • Empty Bucket • Grappling Hook • Mechanical Eye • Mechanical Skull • Mechanical Worm
Timers (1 Second / 3 Second / 5 Second) • Pumps (Inlet / Outlet)