Chests are storage items that hold up to 40 item stacks in rows of 10x4. They can only be freed and picked up when empty, which is done using a Pickaxe. It is impossible to destroy the blocks underneath the chest while it still has items in it.
In addition to being craftable, Chests also occur naturally in random map locations and contain various loot.
There are 11 varieties of natural Chests (10 of which cannot be crafted) and 22 craftable ones (plus a Barrel and a Trash Can), for a total of 33 Chest types and 35 placed storage items overall.
Placed chests, with other storage items
- Before opening a chest outside of a dungeon in a hardmode world, it would be advisable to shoot it with a ranged weapon, because the chest might really be a mimic. If it is, it will take damage and start chasing the player.
- All crafted Chests can be sold for 1 , except: The Dynasty Chest, Steampunk Chest and Honey Chest, which all sell for 5 ; and the Glass Chest, which sells for 60 .
Ordinary Chests that occur naturally on the Surface contain various loot that the player can take and place in their own inventory. Each chest contains a single "rare item" and an assortment of randomly chosen common items.
- Pink, Blue, and Green Dungeon Chests have recipes.
- Right-clicking to open a chest, Piggy Bank or Safe will no longer pick up an item from the stack where the cursor is.
- Added Glass Chest.
- 1.2.4: Fixed the crash when a chest is placed above but not directly on a Boulder.
- Fixed a bug where Chests could not be placed on 2x1 tiles. There had to be a solid tile to the right of the chest to place it.
- Fixed bug where opening a chest with a sign open would lock the inventory.
- Fixed the problem with altars/pots/chests spawning in bugged conditions.
- Chests should no longer lose their names in multiplayer.
- Shadewood, ebonwood, rich mahogany and pearlwood sprites updated.
- Added more chests.
- Placed chests can now be renamed. Hovering the mouse cursor over a renamed chest will show its name. The default chest is shown for ANY chest (even ones that were renamed) called "Chest".
- Boulders with Chests on them no longer crash the game if the boulder is hit.
- Fixed bug where chests could be placed in bad positions (e.g. ice blocks or sloped tiles in worldgen).
- Fixed a crash when you destroy a teleporter with a chest on top.
- 220.127.116.11: Opening a chest can no longer grab items from it automatically on a small screen.
- 18.104.22.168: People playing on small screens should no longer auto equip an item from a chest or pick it up.
- 22.214.171.124: Chests, crystal hearts, and statues should no longer spawn on ice (Thin Ice).
- Now broken with a pickaxe.
- All chests have doubled capacity
- Music box/chest duplicating no longer works.
- Active blocks will no longer become inactive with a chest on them.
- Chests now have larger loot tables.
- 1.1.1: Fixed an issue that caused stacked coins to go missing from chests during multiplayer.
- 126.96.36.199: No longer contain stacks of empty item.
- 1.0.6: All wooden Chests generated in the Dungeon now contain Golden Keys, needed to open the locked Gold Chests.
- Chests now spawn on the Surface, containing items to help new players survive.
- Chests now contain loot based on the level they spawn in.
- Most of the pre-generated chests replaced with Gold Chests.
- 1.0.1: Sand directly under a chest no longer falls due to gravity.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.