| Max Life
| KB Resist
| Internal NPC ID: 54
| This is a Town NPC. A House may be required in order for it to appear.
The Clothier is an NPC vendor who sells only vanity items (items that only change a player's appearance and serve no other function).
The Clothier is the same character as the Old Man who guards the Dungeon before Skeletron is defeated. After defeating Skeletron, the Old Man is freed from his curse, and he disappears from the Dungeon's entrance. Once a suitable vacant house is available thereafter, he spawns and sells items. His clothes are no longer tattered, his eyes have turned blue (from red), and he is wearing a Red Hat.
Equipping the Clothier Voodoo Doll allows a player to attack and kill him (similar to the Guide Voodoo Doll). Doing so at night re-summons Skeletron.
When threatened, the Clothier fires skull projectiles similar to those produced by the Book of Skulls. In Hardmode, these inflict enemies with the Shadowflame debuff.
These items are sold in addition to the regular inventory, but are only available after hardmode has been unlocked.
The clothier may have any of the following names:
- Placing a shallow Lava pit in the floor of the Clothier's house (eg. by pouring one Lava Bucket into an 8 or 9-tile long horizontal recession of one tile height) will cause the Clothier to die and respawn often, leaving behind the Red Hat each time, which can be sold for 2 each (or worn).
- "Thanks again for freeing me from my curse. Felt like something jumped up and bit me" (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "Being cursed was lonely, so I once made a friend out of leather. I named him Wilson." (Reference to Cast Away)
- "Mama always said I would make a great tailor." (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "Life's like a box of clothes, you never know what you are gonna wear!" (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "Of course embroidery is hard! If it wasn't hard, no one would do it! That's what makes it great." (This is a mock up of line from A League of Their Own)
- "I know everything there is to know about the clotherin' business." (Reference to Forrest Gump)
When wearing a Red Hat:
- "That Red Hat of yours looks familiar..."
When Nurse is present:
- "T'were I younger, I would ask [Name of Nurse] out. I used to be quite the lady killer."
When Mechanic is not housed:
- "I have vague memories of tying a woman up and throwing her in a dungeon."
When Truffle is present:
- "I'll give you a discount on your wears if you can convince [Name of Truffle] to come over for a ... sizing."
During a Blood Moon:
- "... We have a problem! It's a blood moon out there!" (Reference to Apollo 13)
During a Party:
- "Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can party on."
- 1.3.2: Now sells several party-related items.
- Added Lunar- and Solar-Cultist sets, Added White Tuxedo set.
- Sprite updated.
- 1.2.3: Fixed bug where you cant hurt the clothier with clothier voodoo doll using projectiles (bows / guns / thrown items / spears / flails and so on).
- 22.214.171.124: Skeletron now spawns on the Clothier when using a Clothier Voodoo Doll.
- 1.2.1: Sells the Guy Fawkes Mask for the Halloween event.
- 126.96.36.199: You can now attack the Clothier with the Clothier Voodoo doll equipped.
- 1.2: Now sells more unique vanity sets during Hardmode, as well as the Balla and Gangsta hats. Can now be killed with a Clothier Voodoo Doll to summon Skeletron at night.
- 1.1: Now has random name given to him on spawn. His deaths will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes.
- 1.0.5: Familiar clothes, The Doctor's clothes and Mime Mask were added to inventory. Choice of goods become time of the day and event dependent.
- 1.0.4: Introduced.