The Clothier is the same character as the Old Man who used to guard the Dungeon before Skeletron was defeated. After you defeat Skeletron, you will have freed the Old Man from his curse, wherein he will disappear from the Dungeon entrance. Once a suitable vacant house is available, he will spawn and sell items. His clothes are no longer tattered, his eyes have turned blue, and he is wearing a red hat.
If the Clothier is killed, he will drop the Red Hat, another Vanity item. Since players can not harm NPCs with weapons, only enemies, Dart Traps, Boulders or lava can kill him. Note that lava of sufficient depth may also destroy the Hat, though.
 Items sold
Once the Clothier has moved into a house, he will sell the following:
|Black Dye||1||Always available.|
|Summer Hat||1||During the day.|
|Plumber's Shirt||25||During a full moon.|
|Plumber's Pants||25||During a full moon.|
|Familiar Shirt||1||Always available.|
|Familiar Pants||1||Always available.|
|Familiar Wig||1||Always available.|
|The Doctor's Shirt||20||During the day after a full moon.|
|The Doctor's Pants||20||During the day after a full moon.|
|Mime Mask||2||During a Blood Moon.|
|Clown Hat||2||After defeating the Clown.|
|Clown Shirt||1||After defeating the Clown.|
|Clown Pants||1||After defeating the Clown.|
- Placing a shallow Lava pit in the floor of the Clothier's house (eg. by pouring one Lava Bucket into an 8 or 9-tile long horizontal recession of one tile height) will cause the Clothier to die and respawn often, leaving behind the Red Hat each time, which can be sold for 2 each (or worn).
- Most of the Clothier's dialogues refer to movies starring Tom Hanks. The movies are "Cast Away", "Forrest Gump" (IMDb links), 'Ladykillers', 'Apollo 13'.
- All of his purchasable items require a few gold to be bought, unlike many others.
- He is the only one of the NPCs to drop an item upon death.
- "T'were I younger, I would ask [Name of Nurse] out. I used to be quite the lady killer." (Only if Nurse is present | Reference to Ladykillers)
- "Thanks again for freeing me from my curse. Felt like something jumped up and bit me" (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "Being cursed was lonely, so I once made a friend out of leather. I named him Wilson." (Reference to Castaway)
- "Mama always said I would make a great tailor." (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "That Red Hat of yours looks familiar..." (When wearing Red Hat only)
- "Life's like a box of clothes, you never know what you are gonna wear!" (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "I have vague memories of tying a woman up and throwing her in a dungeon" (If Mechanic has not been rescued)
- "Of course embroidery is hard! If it wasn't hard, no one would do it! That's what makes it great." (This is a mock up of line from A League of Their Own)
- "I know everything they is to know about the clotherin' business." (Reference to Forrest Gump)
During a Blood Moon:
- "[Name of Player]... We have a problem! Its a blood moon out there!" (Reference to Apollo 13)
- 1.1: Now has random name given to him on spawn. His deaths will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes.
- 1.0.5: Familiar clothes, The Doctor's clothes and Mime Mask were added to inventory. Choice of goods become time of the day and event dependent.
- 1.0.4: Introduced.
|Arms Dealer • Clothier • Demolitionist • Dryad|
Guide • Merchant • Nurse
Mechanic • Goblin Tinkerer • Wizard