| Max Life
| KB Resist
| Internal NPC ID: 54
| This is a Town NPC. A House may be required in order for it to appear.
The Clothier is an NPC vendor who sells only vanity items (items that only change a player's appearance and serve no other function).
The Clothier is the same character as the Old Man who guards the Dungeon before Skeletron is defeated. After defeating Skeletron, the Old Man is freed from his curse, and he disappears from the Dungeon's entrance. Once a suitable vacant house is available thereafter, he spawns and sells items. His clothes are no longer tattered, his eyes have turned blue (from red), and he is wearing a Red Hat.
Equipping the Clothier Voodoo Doll allows a player to attack and kill him (similar to the Guide Voodoo Doll). Doing so at night re-summons Skeletron.
On the Desktop version, when threatened, the Clothier fires skull projectiles similar to those produced by the Book of Skulls that inflict enemies with the Shadowflame debuff.
These items are sold in addition to the regular inventory, but are only available after hardmode has been unlocked.
The clothier may have any of the following names:
- Placing a shallow Lava pit in the floor of the Clothier's house (eg. by pouring one Lava Bucket into an 8 or 9-tile long horizontal recession of one tile height) will cause the Clothier to die and respawn often, leaving behind the Red Hat each time, which can be sold for 2 each (or worn).
- The Clothiers best housing area may be in a Snow biome, the only place he sells the Beanie (the only shop inventory item of his requiring a specific biome).
- "Thanks again for freeing me from my curse. Felt like something jumped up and bit me" (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "Being cursed was lonely, so I once made a friend out of leather. I named him Wilson." (Reference to Cast Away)
- "Mama always said I would make a great tailor." (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "Life's like a box of clothes, you never know what you are gonna wear!" (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "Of course embroidery is hard! If it wasn't hard, no one would do it! That's what makes it great." (This is a mock up of a line from A League of Their Own)
- "I know everything there is to know about the clotherin' business." (Reference to Forrest Gump)
When wearing a Red Hat:
- "That Red Hat of yours looks familiar..."
When Nurse is present:
- "T'were I younger, I would ask [Name of Nurse] out. I used to be quite the lady killer."
When Mechanic is not housed:
- "I have vague memories of tying a woman up and throwing her in a dungeon."
When Truffle is present:
- "I'll give you a discount on your wears if you can convince [Name of Truffle] to come over for a ... sizing."
During a Blood Moon:
- "... We have a problem! It's a blood moon out there!" (Reference to Apollo 13)
During a Party:
- "Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you before you can party on."
- Most of the Clothier's dialogues refer to movies starring Tom Hanks. The movies are "Cast Away", "Forrest Gump", "The Ladykillers", "Apollo 13".
- One of possible names for the Clothier is James. This is a reference to the popular Terraria YouTuber ChippyGaming, who is called James Bennett in real life.
- The Clothier appears to have a feud with the Truffle. This can be seen in the Truffle's quote, "Everyone in this town feels a bit off. I woke up to the clothier chewing on my foot last night" and the Clothier's quote, "I'll give you a discount on your wears if you can convince [Name of Truffle] to come over for a ... sizing." His hesitation before saying 'sizing' is commonly used to indicate a reason other than the one mentioned.