|Internal NPC ID: 54|
The Clothier is the same character as the Old Man who guards the Dungeon before Skeletron is defeated. After you defeat Skeletron, you will have freed the Old Man from his curse, wherein he will disappear from the Dungeon entrance. Once a suitable vacant house is available, he will spawn and sell items. His clothes are no longer tattered, his eyes have turned blue, and he is wearing a red hat.
If the Clothier is killed, he will drop the Red Hat, another Vanity item. Since players can not harm NPCs with weapons, only enemies, Dart Traps, Boulders or lava can kill him. Note that lava of sufficient depth may also destroy the Hat, though. As of 1.2, the Clothier also has a voodoo doll, named the Clothier Voodoo Doll, that when equipped allows you to kill him (similar to the Guide Voodoo Doll) and summon Skeletron.
Once the Clothier has moved into a house, he will sell the following:
|Black Thread||1||Always available.|
|Pink Thread||1||Always available.|
|Familiar Shirt||1||Always available.|
|Familiar Pants||1||Always available.|
|Familiar Wig||1||Always available.|
|Beanie||1||When present in a Snow biome.|
|Summer Hat||1||During the day.|
|Plumber's Shirt||25||During a full moon.|
|Plumber's Pants||25||During a full moon.|
|The Doctor's Shirt||20||During the day after a full moon.|
|The Doctor's Pants||20||During the day after a full moon.|
|Mime Mask||2||During a Blood Moon.|
|Guy Fawkes Mask||2||During Halloween.|
|George's Hat||1||During a Blood Moon, male character.|
|George's Suit||25||During a Blood Moon, male character.|
|George's Pants||25||During a Blood Moon, male character.|
|Fabulous Ribbon||1||During a Blood Moon, female character.|
|Fabulous Dress||25||During a Blood Moon, female character.|
|Fabulous Slippers||25||During a Blood Moon, female character.|
|Old Walking Stick||1||Anytime.|
|Oktober Locks||80||During Oktoberfest.|
|Dirndl Blouse||1 20||During Oktoberfest.|
|Dirndl Skirt||1||During Oktoberfest.|
|Alpine Hat||80||During Oktoberfest.|
|Lederweste||1 20||During Oktoberfest.|
|Festive Top Hat||1||During Christmas.|
These items are sold in addition to the regular inventory, but are only available after hardmode has been unlocked.
|Clown Hat||2||After defeating the Clown.|
|Clown Shirt||1||After defeating the Clown.|
|Clown Pants||1||After defeating the Clown.|
|Tiara||25||During a new moon.|
|Princess Dress||10||During a new moon.|
|Cowboy Hat||5||During a first quarter moon. (2 days after a new moon)|
|Cowboy Jacket||5||During a first quarter moon. (2 days after a new moon)|
|Cowboy Pants||5||During a first quarter moon. (2 days after a new moon)|
|Tam O' Shanter||2 50||During a third quarter moon. (2 days after a full moon)|
|Balla Hat||No value||After defeating the Frost Legion. (Doesn't seem to be sold in multiplayer)|
|Gangsta Hat||No value||After defeating the Frost Legion. (Doesn't seem to be sold in multiplayer)|
The clothier may have any of the following names:
- Placing a shallow Lava pit in the floor of the Clothier's house (eg. by pouring one Lava Bucket into an 8 or 9-tile long horizontal recession of one tile height) will cause the Clothier to die and respawn often, leaving behind the Red Hat each time, which can be sold for 2 each (or worn).
- If you have the clothier voodoo doll equipped, making him die either by lava, or by monsters will spawn Skeletron at night
- "T'were I younger, I would ask [Name of Nurse] out. I used to be quite the lady killer." (Only if Nurse is present) [Reference to Ladykillers. May also have a dual meaning.]
- "Thanks again for freeing me from my curse. Felt like something jumped up and bit me" (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "Being cursed was lonely, so I once made a friend out of leather. I named him Wilson." (Reference to Cast Away)
- "Mama always said I would make a great tailor." (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "That Red Hat of yours looks familiar..." (When wearing Red Hat only)
- "Life's like a box of clothes, you never know what you are gonna wear!" (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "I have vague memories of tying a woman up and throwing her in a dungeon." (If Mechanic is not housed)
- "Of course embroidery is hard! If it wasn't hard, no one would do it! That's what makes it great." (This is a mock up of line from A League of Their Own)
- "I know everything there is to know about the clotherin' business." (Reference to Forrest Gump)
- "I'll give you a discount on your wears if you can convince [Name of Truffle] to come over for a ... sizing." (Only if Truffle is present)
During a Blood Moon:
- "... We have a problem! It's a blood moon out there!" (Reference to Apollo 13)
- Most of the Clothier's dialogues refer to movies starring Tom Hanks. The movies are "Cast Away", "Forrest Gump", "The Ladykillers", "Apollo 13" (IMDb links).
- 1.2.3: Fixed bug where you cant hurt the clothier with clothier voodoo doll using projectiles (bows / guns / thrown items / spears / flails and so on).
- 188.8.131.52: Skeletron now spawns on the Clothier when using a Clothier Voodoo Doll.
- 1.2.1: Sells the Guy Fawkes Mask for the Halloween event.
- 184.108.40.206: You can now attack the Clothier with the Clothier Voodoo doll equipped.
- 1.2: Now sells more unique vanity sets during Hardmode, as well as the Balla and Gangsta hats. Can now be killed with a Clothier Voodoo Doll to summon Skeletron at night.
- 1.1: Now has random name given to him on spawn. His deaths will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes.
- 1.0.5: Familiar clothes, The Doctor's clothes and Mime Mask were added to inventory. Choice of goods become time of the day and event dependent.
- 1.0.4: Introduced.