|Knockback||2 (Very Weak)|
|Use time||7 (Insanely Fast)|
|Tooltip|| Uses coins for ammo|
Higher valued coins do more damage
|Internal Item ID: 905|
The Coin Gun is a Hardmode ranged weapon that uses coins as ammunition, which cannot be retrieved once fired. Its damage and velocity depend on the type of coin fired. It is dropped very rarely (0.0125% or 1/8000 chance) by Pirate Invasion enemies, excluding the Parrot. The drop rate for the Pirate Captain is quadrupled (0.05% or 1/2000 chance) and increasing again with the Flying Dutchman (0.25% or 1/400).
The Coin Gun cannot receive any Modifiers that increase damage, so one of its best prefixes is Agile, as the slightly higher critical chance boosts the weapon's damage rate slightly. Rapid may be preferred as it instead boosts speed and velocity. Zealous serves as the most economical option, with the highest raise in critical chance without adding attack speed.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Coins are consumed from the inventory first, then the designated coin slots.
- Without taking defense into account, It is more cost efficient to convert coins to lower denominations for ammo. However this comes at the cost of a lower damage rate. Using copper coins is 125,000 times more efficient than using platinum.
- Needs a constant craft of 100 low tier coins because the pickup of coins can convert the stacks with lower than 100 coins into a higher-tier coin, otherwise it can eventually use unwanted coins. It requires constant attention to the ammo amount indicated. If there's less than 200 ammo, it can start using Silver, Gold or Platinum Coins.
- The Coin Gun is affected by ammo conservation effects such as that of Shroomite armor, the Ammo Box or the Ammo Reservation Potion.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Easily one of the most powerful weapons — if platinum coins are used as ammo — though this can make combat prohibitively expensive.
- Just using copper coins when not trying to rapid fire will deal more damage.
- The gun becomes much more viable in Expert Mode due to the larger volume of coin drops.
- The Coin Gun with Platinum Coins regardless of modifiers has the highest DPS (damage per second) in the game, dealing a whopping 1714 damage per second, making it a very useful weapon for invasions like the Frost Moon (that is, if you have a decent amount of Platinum Coins). Due to its high DPS, adding modifiers and damage boosters, it can reach over 2000 DPS.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- This item is extremely rare. Before 1.3 it took an average of 66-67 complete Pirate Invasions before it dropped. With the addition of the Flying Dutchman in 1.3, there is an increased chance of the weapon drop.
History[edit | edit source]
- Console 1.08: Introduced (re-introduced).
- 220.127.116.11: Can now be dropped by the Flying Dutchman.
- 1.2: Introduced.