|Use time||14 (Very Fast)|
|Max stack|| 100 |
999 for Platinum
|Internal Item ID: 71-74|
- For money making strategies, see Guide:Making money.
Coins are Terraria's main unit of currency. They are primarily used for NPC transactions, though other players may also accept them as payment in multiplayer. Coins can also be used as ammunition for the Coin Gun. There are currently 4 types of coins: Copper Coins, Silver Coins, Gold Coins, and Platinum Coins.
Coins can be obtained by killing enemies, interacting with NPCs, or finding them in multiple forms of loot. Despite coins appearing as the materials "Copper", "Silver", "Gold", or "Platinum", they are unrelated to their respective ore types and cannot be crafted from them.
The coin value an enemy drops upon death is calculated from fixed values in the game code, with some random variation.
|Silver Coin||= 100|
|Gold Coin||= 100|
|Platinum Coin||= 100|
- On the Console versions, coins have the old, pre-220.127.116.11 textures:
- On the Mobile versions, coins also have their old sprites, except for a version-exclusive Platinum Coin texture:
Crafting[edit | edit source]
Coins can be "crafted" by hand, which combines or splits them into other denominations. Each coin is worth 100 of its lesser denomination (Copper -> Silver -> Gold -> Platinum). When picked up, Coins are automatically combined into their higher denomination, if possible. For example, if the player picks 100 Silver Coins, they'll end up with one Gold Coin in their inventory instead. Similarly, a player holding 96 silver coins picking up another 15 will give them a gold coin and 11 silver coins.
Death penalty[edit | edit source]
- Upon a player's death in Softcore Mode (the default mode), half of all of the stacks of coins in a player's inventory are dropped, rounded up to the nearest whole coin. For example, if the player possesses 1 Gold Coin in one stack, it will be dropped. If it is instead 10 coins, 5 will be dropped.
- Upon player death in Softcore Mode on Expert mode, 75% of coins are dropped, instead of 50%.
- Upon player death in Mediumcore or Hardcore Mode, all coins are dropped, regardless of how the player died.
- Being killed by a player-wielded weapon will not cause the player to drop any coins in Softcore Mode, even if recently damaged by an enemy.
- Forms of accidental death, such as Fall Damage or Chaos State, will cause coins to drop.
Storage[edit | edit source]
|A pile of Copper Coins|
Inside the player's inventory, coins have their own special slots, although it is possible to move them into normal inventory slots.
- In the early game, before receiving the piggy bank, it may be inevitable to store your coins in a chest. However, quick stack does not place coins in chests. Deposit All does place coins, but if the chest is already full when you press Deposit All, higher denominations may be destroyed if a stack for that coin doesn't exist.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- On the Mobile versions and Desktop versions, coins have their damage values (from a Coin Gun) listed, and are listed as ammo.
- Purchasing every NPC item requires:
- As of update 18.104.22.168, coins will make a clink sound when picked up.
- As of update 22.214.171.124, Coin Portals have a rare chance to be opened by pots.
- As of update 126.96.36.199, coins may be spent in NPC transactions directly from the player's Piggy bank or Safe.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- As of the 188.8.131.52 update, Copper, Silver, and Gold coins are now the only items that can have a max stack of 100.
- Coin Portals often spawn in Hell due to large amount of pots.
History[edit | edit source]
- New sound effect when coins are picked up.
- New texture and animation for all coins.
- 184.108.40.206: Fixed bug that caused coins to deal damage when swung.
- 1.2.4: Coins now can be placed.
- You can no longer sell money.
- Fixed a bug that would cause coins to disappear instead of converting into the next highest currency.
- Holding coins when dying will now correctly drop those as well.
- Coins will now auto stack when close to each other.
- 220.127.116.11: Fixed trashing coin dupe.
- Coins held on the cursor will correctly be dropped on death.
- Fixed an issue that caused stacked coins to go missing from chests during multiplayer.
- 1.0.6: Sparkle and light amplification added.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.