From Terraria Wiki
(Redirected from Controls)
The default controls are listed below. These can be changed from the Controls menu in Settings on the Title Screen.
PC / Console Versions[edit | edit source]
|Use held item||
⚒ Use / Attack
|Left click||R1||RT||Attack using held weapon, consume held potion, summon using held mount/minion summon item, etc.|
|Activate environment object||
⚷ Open / Activate
|Right click||○||Ⓑ||Open a door or chest, activate switch, talk to NPC, edit a sign/tombstone, etc. To right click on OSX without a right click button, you need to put two fingers on the trackpad (for laptop users) before you click to make the same effect as a right click.|
|T||Discards the currently selected item onto the ground as a dropped item, which can then be collected by any player. Does not inflict throwing damage. You can also throw items by opening the inventory, picking the item you want to throw away and right-clicking outside the inventory. Note that throwing throws the whole stack of items, except for torches, where only one torch will be thrown.|
|Esc||△||Ⓨ||Opens the expanded head-up display, including inventory, crafting interface, Save and Quit (singleplayer) or Disconnect (multiplayer) controls. If autopause is enabled, the game will pause (not currently available on console). Press Start on Xbox or PS3 to pause the game (this won't open your inventory).|
|A||Left thumbstick left||Left thumbstick left||Moves your character to the left. Hold the key down for continuous movement.|
|D||Left thumbstick right||Left thumbstick right||Moves your character to the right. Hold the key down for continuous movement.|
|S||Left thumbstick down||Left thumbstick down|
|W||Left thumbstick up||Left thumbstick up|
|0-9||L2+R2||LT+RT||Selects an item from the hotbar (1 being the leftmost, and 0 being the rightmost). The hotbar is the uppermost row of the inventory, i.e. the top 10 slots. (The item is merely selected; to actually use it click the left mouse button after making a selection.)|
|F7||Toggles debugging info.|
|F8||Toggles multiplayer connectivity debug info. In singleplayer, all values are 0 and do not change.|
|F9||Cycles through the 4 lighting settings: Color, White, Retro and Trippy, in that order.|
|F10||Toggles FPS (frames per second) display.|
|F11||Toggles visibility of the HUD (heads-up display).|
|Enter||Opens the chat box (multiplayer only).|
|H||Consumes the best healing item from your inventory.|
|Quick Mana Heal||
|J||Consumes the first mana restoration item in your inventory (starting from the top-left).|
|M||Select||Back||Opens a full-screen map. This can be zoomed in and out with the keyboard just as the minimap can, or with the mouse wheel. It can be scrolled using the directional keys or by dragging it with the mouse. The full-screen map can be dismissed by clicking the icon at the bottom left corner, or by pressing the inventory key, or the Map key again. In multiplayer, it will also show all players. On the console versions, you can select your team from this screen.|
|E||L1||LT||Activates/launches the grappling hook equipped in the grappling hook slot.|
|Shift||When held, it will try to select the appropriate tool to interact with the object under the cursor. A light source will be selected if nothing else applies.|
|Tab||Cycles the minimap between the three modes: portrait, overlay, and hidden. See Map for more details.|
|Ctrl||R3||Right thumbstick down||Toggles the Smart Cursor. When on, it will automatically target tiles depending your current tool, to semi-automate tasks such as tunneling and building.|
|R||Mount or dismount the mount located in the equipment slot.|
|Use bound item||D-pad||D-pad||Items can be bound to the D-pad by opening the inventory, selecting an item and pressing a direction on the D-pad. That item can then be equipped in the hotbar immediately by pressing that direction on the D-pad during gameplay.|
Inventory[edit | edit source]
- To remove one item from a stack, right click on it. Hold down the right mouse button to increase the number of items to be removed from the stack.
- To place objects directly from your inventory, left click to select the item, then left click to place it or right click to discard it.
- To place objects directly from your inventory into the Trash Can hold shift down while clicking the item. This can be used to quickly free up space in your inventory.
- To favorite an item (making it unable to be quick stacked, quick trashed, thrown, or deposited) hover over the item and press Alt + Left Click. A border should appear letting you know that the item is favorited. Do note that placing favorited equipment onto your equipment slots and placing them back in your inventory will remove the favorite status on the equipment, in which case you are going to need to Alt + Left Click again.
NPC[edit | edit source]
- To interact with an NPC approach close enough that a speech bubble appears on the target when you move the mouse cursor to it. Then click the right mouse button.
- When buying items from an NPC, hold down the right mouse button to increase the number of items purchased.
Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Right-clicking on a piece of equipment, including one located in a Social slot, will swap it with its corresponding Armor or Accessory slot.
Miscellaneous[edit | edit source]
- To read a sign, tombstone, or the name of a chest, hover your cursor over it.
- When crafting, hold down the right mouse button to rapidly craft a number of items (the speed increases as long as you hold down the button).
- Terraria for iOS and Android had PlayStation 3 controller support in earlier versions, but this was removed in a later update.
- As of now, iOS does have support for MFi controllers through Apple's own API.
Mobile Version[edit | edit source]
|Action||MFi Controller Buttons||Effect||Notes|
|Single Tap||R2, B** (Single Press)||Perform an Action||
|Tap and Hold||Hold R2||Constant Action||
|Tap Hotbar||R1, L1||Hotbar Control||
|Drag Item From Hotbar||X||Throw||
|Tap "..." on Hotbar||Y||Open Inventory||
|Tap pause button in top-right||Pause Button||Settings||
|Left thumbstick left/right||Left Analog Stick left/right||Left/Right||
|Left Thumbstick down||Left Analog Stick down||Down|
|Left Thumbstick up||A, Left Analog Stick up**||Up||
|Flick Left Thumbstick up||A||Up (Alt)|
|Move Right Thumbstick||Move Right Analog Stick||Quick-Action||
|Tap Right Thumbstick||Hold R2 without touching the Right Analog Stick||Auto-Attack||
|Swipe From Character||L2||Quick-Grapple||
|Pinch Screen Outwards||N/A, D-Pad**||Zoom out||
|Pinch Screen Inwards||N/A||Zoom in||
|Touch and Drag||Left Analog Stick||Control Map|
Inventory / Storage Tab[edit | edit source]
- Tap and drag an item to move it, or switch its position with another.
- Drag the inventory screen up or down to see more of the inventory.
- Selecting an item and tapping the "Split Stack" button (the button with stacked coins) will take one item and place it in a new stack. If a new stack has been recently created, the item will be added to that one instead.
- Selecting armor or an accessory and tapping the Equip button (labeled with a helmet and a player's head) will automatically equip it in an armor or accessory slot. If the respective armor slot is full, it will be equipped in the vanity slot. Dragging an item to the Equipment tab and releasing will equip it in the same manner.
- Selecting an item the Storage tab Tapping the Take button will add it to your inventory. Dragging an item to the Inventory tab and releasing will take it in the same manner.
- Holding an item over a tab for a while will switch to that tab.
Equipment Tab[edit | edit source]
- Any equipable item will automatically be equipped when crafted, bought, picked up, or when the Take button is pressed in the Storage tab.
- Selecting an item and tapping the Unequip button (labeled with a helmet and a player's head) will unequip it and place it in the Inventory
Crafting Tab[edit | edit source]
- Tap a recipe and tap Craft to craft one of the item.
- Tap and hold Craft to craft multiple items (the speed increases as you hold the button)
NPC Shop Tab[edit | edit source]
- Selecting an item and tapping Buy will buy the item if you have enough money.
- Hitting Sell in the Inventory tab, or simply dragging an item to the Shop tab will sell it.
- The Goblin Tinkerer has an additional spot above the shop. Dragging an item here and selecting Reforge will reforge it.
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.3.1: Controller support for PC, easier binding.
- 220.127.116.11: Added favorite option for items in your inventory and the mount hotkey.
- 1.2.3: Added support for Ctrl+Z, X, C, and V (clear line, cut line, copy line, and paste into line respectively). Added support for Shift+Insert, Shift+Delete, Ctrl+Insert (paste, cut, and copy respectively).
- Added map control.
- Keybindings will no longer sometimes be set to "None" automatically.
- Items Pulsate when hold on the mouse cursor so they stand out against other items on the UI.
- Items move freely and rotate when falling after being dropped or thrown.
- F7 shows game debug information.
- F8 shows connectivity debug information.
- F9 changes lighting setting.
- Added 'Auto Select' hotkey.
- Added ability to place items directly from open inventory.
- Added hotkeys for quickly drinking healing, mana, and buff potions. The healing/mana potion you use is based on the same principle arrows are. Topleft most item first. The buff potions are all used at once.
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages|
|Interface||Minimap • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Mining speed • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Rarity • Storage • Use time • Value|
|Game||Settings (desktop version) Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Death • Defense • Drowning • Fall damage • Ghost • Health • Health regeneration • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|