|Type||Ore – Crafting material|
|Max stack||999 (: 999)|
Crimtane Ore is a pre-hardmode ore that was added in the 1.2 update. It has a luminescent blood red color and can be easily spotted underground due to its glowing effect. It can be found underground; more specifically, in the Crimson Biome's Chasms.
Crimtane is extremely rare to find, so it is not recommended that the player go mining for it. Defeating the Brain of Cthulhu, which can be summoned repeatedly by breaking Demon Hearts or by crafting Bloody Spines, is the easiest way to farm this ore. Crimtane is also dropped by the Eye of Cthulhu in worlds which contain the Crimson biome instead of the Corruption.
Crimtane can be crafted into bars which are then used in the creation of Crimson Armor and its coinciding tool kit. Unlike Demonite Ore, its Corruption counterpart, Crimtane cannot be crafted into bricks.
 Used in
- Crimtane Ore does not spread the Crimson during Hardmode.
- In the Console Version, Crimtane Ore still only stacks to 99 while all other ores stack to 999.
- Crimtane Ore is even more profitable than demonite ore, selling at 9 silver an piece whereas Demonite Ore is 8 silver.
- Crimtane Ore can, like Demonite ore, be used as "emergency lighting" due to its faint glow. This is convenient for when you have no Torches or similar left. The glow emitted is not valid lighting for NPC housing.
- 1.2.3: Increased stack limit from 99 to 999.
- 1.2.1: No Longer requires a Deathbringer Pickaxe or over to mine.
- 1.2: Introduced.