|Type||Crafting material – Furniture|
|Dimensions||1 wide ˣ 1 high|
Crystal Shards are a common Hardmode crafting material found in the Underground Hallow, where they grow on Pearlstone Blocks and Pink Ice Blocks, even when submerged in Water or Lava. They respawn randomly on Pearlstone and Pink Ice blocks in the Cavern layer and below, making farming possible. Crystal Shards are most easily harvested using a Pickaxe, but can also be freed by mining the blocks surrounding them. They emit a small amount of light, similar to Demonite Ore.
Crystal Shards are also placeable in nearly any position (on walls, floors, and ceilings) as background Furniture, though they are not nearly luminous enough to replace other light sources, and placement has no other functional effect. Although new Crystal Shards will only spawn on Pearlstone blocks in the Cavern layer, once harvested they can be placed anywhere.
Crafting all items, including only one color of Phasesaber, but excluding Crystal Bullets and Greater Healing Potions, requires 135 Crystal Shards. Add 250 to this number for one of each color Phasesaber.
- Unlike most other resources that "grow", Crystal Shards can grow in any direction (i.e. on ceilings and walls).
- Crystal Shards are randomly colored either pink, blue, or cyan when grown or placed. Their color has no functional effect.
- As of update 1.2 Crystal Shards may no longer be harvested with a hammer, and must be obtained with a pickaxe of any material.
- Crystal Shards only appear in the cavern layer, and are an indication of actual Underground Hallow, as opposed to Hallow entities having strayed into other biomes.
- Crystal Shards can be farmed by placing Pearlstone blocks in the Cavern Layer to create an artificial Underground Hallow. The area should be properly "insulated" using open areas, Clay Blocks, or Wood, three blocks wide, to prevent spreading of the Hallow.
 Used in
- 1.2: Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- 1.1.1: Now give off light in retro and white color mode.
- 1.1: Introduced.