|Type||Block – Mechanism|
|Dimensions||1 wide ˣ 1 high|
|Use time||14 (Very Fast)|
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
|Internal Item ID: 539|
|Internal Tile ID: 137|
Dart Traps are traps that fire poisoned darts when triggered via wire. The trap does not consume any ammunition, its output being limited only by how frequently it can be triggered, which is a maximum of once every three seconds. Dart Traps are found naturally placed in random areas on the Cavern layer, and more frequently in the Dungeon, and can be freed and harvested by players with a pickaxe. They are found wired to Pressure Plates that trigger when the player or an enemy steps on them.
In order to use harvested Dart Traps, players must wire them to a triggering mechanism, which can only be done with tools available from the Mechanic (who can only be found after Skeletron is defeated). Dart Traps will be placed facing the direction the player is facing.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Placing multiple Dart Traps on top of each other in order to shoot more darts will not do damage per dart, but instead only one dart will do damage (unless the timing is staggered significantly).
- Due to the 3-second cooldown period, a 1 Second Timer will still only trigger a firing once every 3 seconds.
- In the 1.3 update, the cooldown period of dart traps is 200 frames (3.333 seconds, or 3 1/3 seconds) long, making a 1 Second Timer only trigger a firing once every 4 seconds.
- In single-player, dart traps benefit from your critical strike chance when used against enemiesVerify.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- With some planning, Dart Traps can also be used to very quickly harvest entire Mushroom/Glowing Mushroom/Vile Mushroom/Underground Jungle and Herb (planted on soil) farms.
- By switching to a wiring-related item in your Hotbar, such as a Dart Trap or a Wrench, any wire on screen will be be visible as red, blue, yellow, or green lines, including the naturally-spawned wires connecting a Dart Trap to its Pressure Plate.
- Dart Traps do pierce damage, triggering a 1/6th second (10 frames) of invincibility frames on enemies. If an enemy is hit by more than one dart in that time frame, it will only take damage from one dart. Keeping 8 tiles of space between dart traps should guarantee that each dart causes damage
- Dart Traps still fire when actuated. Use an actuator, and you can place one dart trap behind another easily.
- The tip of the dart spawns one block in front of the dart trap; you can place two dart traps in a row and both will fire without problems.
- Darts travel at precisely 45 blocks per second; if you space two dart traps 180 blocks apart with a 1 second timer, the darts will overlap. Keep this in mind if you're trying to make a continuous dart trap.
- Darts will travel at 1/2 speed in water, and 1/4 speed in honey. Multiple dart traps can be chained together with Teal Pressure Pads to create very precise, repeating timers in relatively compact spaces while in honey. As Dart Traps are fairly common, they can be especially useful when trying to activate statues or other traps as often as possible.
- Darts can fly for up to 60 seconds, at which point they will break as if they had struck a block. At 45 blocks per second, this gives the Dart Trap a maximum range of 2,700 blocks.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Dart Trap's graphic resembles a stylized stone head. Traps involving such heads firing darts out of their mouths are a common sight in popular culture, such as the Indiana Jones movies.
- This is one of two reusable traps available prior to Hardmode, along with geyser.
See Also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- Sprite updated.
- Can now be hammered to rotate 90 degrees at a time.
- 184.108.40.206: Fixed bug where traps could critically hit.
- 1.2: Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- 1.1: Introduced.