|Type||Block – Mechanism|
|Dimensions||1 wide ˣ 1 high|
|Internal Item ID: 137|
Dart Traps are traps that fire poisoned darts when triggered via wire. The trap does not consume any Ammunition, its output being limited only by how frequently it can be triggered, which is a maximum of once every three seconds. Dart Traps are found naturally placed in random areas on the Cavern layer, and more frequently in the Dungeon, and can be freed and harvested by players with a pickaxe. They are found wired to Pressure Plates that trigger a firing when the player or an enemy steps on them.
In order to use harvested Dart Traps, players must wire them to a triggering mechanism, which can only be done with tools available from the Mechanic (who can only be found after Skeletron is defeated). Dart Traps will be placed facing the direction the player is facing.
- Placing multiple Dart Traps on top of each other in order to shoot more darts will not do damage per dart, but instead only one dart will do damage (unless the timing is staggered significantly).
- Due to the 3-second cooldown period, a 1 Second Timer will still only trigger a firing once every 3 seconds.
- The upgraded version is the Super Dart Trap.
- Dart traps benefit from your critical strike chance when used against enemies.
- With some planning, Dart Traps can also be used to very quickly harvest entire Mushroom/Glowing Mushroom/Vile Mushroom/Underground Jungle and Herb (planted on soil) farms.
- By switching to a wiring-related item in your Hotbar, such as a Dart Trap or a Wrench, any wire on screen will be be visible as red, blue or green lines, including the naturally-spawned wires connecting a Dart Trap to its Pressure Plate.
- The Dart Trap's graphic resembles a stylized stone head. Traps involving such heads firing darts out of their mouths are a common sight in popular culture, such as the Indiana Jones movies.
- This is the only reusable trap available prior to Hardmode.