Day and night cycle
The day and night cycle of the Terraria world refers to the rising and setting of the Sun and Moon, and the ways this can affect the world.
- Day and Night each have their own respective theme music in some surface biomes.
- Some surface enemies only spawn at night (see Enemies below).
- Some NPCs sell unique items at night.
Note that the Sun in Terraria rises at the left of the map, even though the left is referred to in-game as "West" (the same for right/East). When a Goblin Army or the Frost Legion begin approaching, the messages shown hold true to this rule.
- All newly-created Worlds begin at 7:00 AM.
- In-game time can be displayed by equipping a Watch or GPS, or can be checked from a Grandfather Clock.
- One minute of in-game time equals one second of real-world time, meaning one hour in-game equals one minute real-world. One Terraria day therefore lasts 15 real-world minutes, and night lasts 9 real-world minutes.
At the surface layer, unique enemies spawn at night. Nocturnal enemies will run or fly away when the day starts.
 Night-only enemies
- Clown (during a Blood Moon)
- Gastropod (only in The Hallow)
- Possessed Armor
- Wandering Eye
- Werewolf (during a Full moon)
- You can grab the sun or the moon on the title screen and move it around. This has no functional effect, although some players claim to be able to occasionally drag the sun around as a level is loading. However it will hover to the correct place, not effecting the time.
- Before formal server software was released for Terraria, and while it was necessary to open a second window of Terraria to host a server, you could drag the sun or moon around to directly change the time of day within the server.
- If you are wearing sunglasses, the sun will appear to be wearing them too. Un-equipping the sunglasses will cause it to revert back. This has no functional effect.
|Attack Speed • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage types • Data IDs|
Day and night cycle • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory
Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Modifier • Moon phase • Music • NPC drops • NPC Spawning • Placement
Player stats • Rarity • Shoot speed • Spawn • Storage items • Use time • Value