Death is what happens when a player's health reaches zero. A Death Message is displayed dependent on how the player died. For example, "<PlayerName> tried to swim in lava" is one that is displayed if the player died from lava damage.
When a player dies, a Tombstone is dropped at the location of their death. When it finds a suitable space, it will become a 2x2 tile. It stores text, much in the way the sign functions, with the player's Death Message. Being affected by physics, a Tombstone to fall after the player's death if they were moving at the time. If there is no flat 2-block space for a Tombstone, it will get stuck before it despawns.
Difficulty Differences[edit | edit source]
A softcore character will drop half of the amount (three-quarters in expert mode, both rounded up) of each type of Coins a player is carrying at the moment of death. To avoid heavy losses upon death, be sure to often stash coins in a Piggy Bank (or in a Chest, or other storage containers).
Hardcore characters will drop all of their items upon death. The character is deleted upon death and the player turns into a ghost, unable to interact with the environment, but still able to observe, move about, and chat with other players.
Death Messages[edit | edit source]
Default Death Messages[edit | edit source]
PvP Death Messages[edit | edit source]
PvP death messages will use the 'default' death messages, but will additionally state the name of the player's killer along with the weapon or projectile with which the killing blow was landed. For example: "Fire_Fang13's face was torn off by DynasticHat's Ball O' Hurt."
Monster Death Messages[edit | edit source]
Falling Death Messages[edit | edit source]
Drowning Death Messages[edit | edit source]
Lava Death Messages[edit | edit source]
Debuff Death Messages[edit | edit source]
Other Death Messages[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If a player is killed by a ranged attack, it won't say the name of the entity that launched the projectile, but instead say the name of the projectile. For example: "<PlayerName> slain by death laser."
- There is a delay between death and respawn, which increases in duration in Expert mode boss fights.
- PvP deaths will cause the player to respawn in full health. This also applies to self-inflicted deaths with items such as explosives.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The tombstone mechanic can be very useful for locating items/coins dropped after death, since the tombstone will usually fall within the vicinity of where the player died.
- Using the tombstones as replacements for signs can be useful early in the game.
- During multiplayer boss fights, the last surviving player should play defensively until the other players can return to the fight after respawning. The boss may despawn if all players are too far away from the fight.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- When a player dies with a Worm Pet buff on, it will say, "Bye bye!", and will drop a different type of tombstone.
- The text that appears after death saying "You were slain..." does not appear in the iOS, Android, and 3DS versions of the game.
- On the Console version, the "You were slain..." message will have a faded & translucent version of itself behind the opaque text that flickers around in an eerie twitching motion.
- On the Console version, before an unspecified patch, any profanity/sexual wording on the tombstone will simply say '(Censored)'.
- Several death messages from 1.3 entities don't explicitly mention the cause.
History[edit | edit source]
- 18.104.22.168: Now shows amount of money dropped under "You were slain".
- 22.214.171.124: The proper items will now drop on Mediumcore/Hardcore deaths.
- 1.2.4: Fixed a bug where you would die on entering the world from fall damage.
- 126.96.36.199: Fixed bug where Hardcore characters couldn't open the menu after death.
- 1.2.3: Players have a longer respawn delay after a non-PVP death with a boss alive in multiplayer. Fixed dying by demon altar having no message.
- 1.1.1: Coins held on the cursor will correctly be dropped on death.
- 1.0.5: More specific death message added.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Combat Targeting • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages • World Seed|
|Interface||Minimap • Logo • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Crossover content • Explosion-proof objects • Mining speed • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Pickaxe Power • Rarity • Storage • Tooltips • Use time • Value|
|Game||Achievements • Settings (desktop version) Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Aggro • Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Character styles • Death • Defense • Drowning • Fall damage • Ghost • Hairstyles • Health • Health regeneration • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|