Defense is a player statistic that determines how much damage can be absorbed per hit. On non-Expert Mode worlds, damage the player takes is reduced by half of their defense value, rounded up. In Expert Mode, damage the player takes is reduced by three-quarters of their defense value, rounded up. Defense can be increased by equipping armor and accessories, or temporarily boosted by various buffs. No attack can be reduced below 1 damage (with the exception of a player with an ally wearing the Paladin's Shield).
Damage taken from lava can be reduced through defense.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
Defense gives an arithmetic reduction in damage: i.e. damage is reduced by a fixed amount per hit (as opposed to a geometric damage reduction, which would reduce damage by a percentage).
Non-Expert Mode Formula[edit | edit source]
The formula is:
net damage = attack - (defense * 0.5)
- With 10 Defense, a 20 Damage attack is reduced by 5, resulting in 15 damage taken.
- With 21 Defense, a 20 Damage attack is reduced by 11, resulting in 9 damage taken.
Expert Mode Formula[edit | edit source]
In expert mode, the formula is:
net damage = attack - (defense * 0.75)
- With 20 Defense, a 40 Damage attack is reduced by 15, resulting in 25 damage taken.
- With 30 Defense, a 40 Damage attack is reduced by 23, resulting in 17 damage taken.
Note that in expert mode only the player's defense follows the formula. Enemies will still take the same amount of damage as in normal mode.
Enemies[edit | edit source]
Enemies have the same Defense mechanics as players. Monsters with high defense will take virtually no damage from low damage weapons (e.g. Fire Imps take 5 damage from the Minishark with Musket Balls). Accordingly, when fighting high defense monsters, high damage weapons are preferable.
Defense boosts[edit | edit source]
Here is a list of accessories, and their respective defense bonuses. A list of armor including defenses can be found on the armor page.
|Shield of Cthulhu||2|
|Moon Charm||3 (only during the night)|
|Moon Shell||3 (only during the night)|
|Moon Stone||4 (only during the night)|
|Sun Stone||4 (only during the day)|
|Paladin's Shield|| 6 (Absorbs 25% of damage done to players on your team
Only active above 25% life)
|Celestial Shell|| 4 (during the day)
7 (during the night)
|Frozen Turtle Shell|| 0
30 (When below 25% health)
|Goblin Tinkerer's / random Modifiers||4 (Max per accessory)|
|Buff / Debuff||Temporary Defense|
|Dryad's Blessing (Buff)||8|
|Tipsy||Defense reduced by 4|
|Weak||Defense reduced by 4|
|Ichor (debuff)||Defense reduced by 20|
|Broken Armor||Defense reduced by half|
Damage reduction boosts[edit | edit source]
|Buff||Source||Damage reduction bonus|
|Solar Blaze||Solar armor||30%|
|Beetle Endurance||Beetle armor||15%/30%/45%|
|Paladin's Shield||Paladin's Shield||25% (Only active above 25% life)|
|Ice Barrier||Frozen Turtle Shell||0 / 25% (When below 50% health)|
|Warmth||Warmth Potion||30% (Reduces damage only from cold-themed enemies)|
|Item||Source||Damage reduction bonus|
|Worm Scarf||Treasure Bag (Eater of Worlds)||17%|
Armor Penetration[edit | edit source]
Armor penetration is a statistic that reduces the defense of the player's targets. For instance, a Pixie normally has 20 defense. If the player has 5 Armor Penetration, then the Pixie will be taken to have 15 defense instead.
|Source||Armor penetration bonus|
|Shark Tooth Necklace||5|
|Sharpening Station||4 for Melee Weapons only|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The highest possible defense is 172 normally, and 180 in expert mode.
- Chlorophyte Mask，Solar Flare Breastplate and Solar Flare Leggings or Vortex Leggings - 79 defense
- Flesh Knuckles - 7 defense
- Celestial Shell - 7 defense if worn at night
- Paladin's Shield - 6 defense
- Guarding with the Brand of the Inferno - 20 defense
- Any other two accessories that give 4 defense at night - 8 defense
- Warding modifiers on all accessories - 20 defense
- Ironskin buff - 8 defense
- Well fed buff - 2 defense
- The Dryad's Blessing grants an additional 8 defense.
- Riding a Mechanical Cart at full speed gives an additional 7 defense (expert mode only, but can be imported to a normal world).
- Any sixth accessory that gives 4 defense at night, with a Warding prefix (expert mode only).
- The highest damage reduction is 87%.
- Armor-based reductions are multiplicative.
- Beetle Armor with shell - 45% reduction
- Accessory- and potion-based reductions are additive.
- Frozen Turtle Shell - 25% reduction
- Worm Scarf - 17% reduction
- Endurance Potion - 10% reduction
- Paladin's Shield buff - 25% reduction
- Armor-based reductions are multiplicative.
(100%-45%) * (100%-(25%+17%+10%+25%)) = 12.7% damage taken = 87.3% damage reduction
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Combat Targeting • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages • World Seed|
|Interface||Minimap • Logo • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Crossover content • Explosion-proof objects • Mining speed • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Pickaxe Power • Rarity • Storage • Tooltips • Use time • Value|
|Game||Achievements • Settings (desktop version) Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Aggro • Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Character styles • Death • Defense • Drowning • Fall damage • Ghost • Hairstyles • Health • Health regeneration • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|