|Internal NPC ID: 38|
The Demolitionist is an NPC vendor that will spawn once the following criteria have been met:
If the Demolitionist is killed, he will only respawn if the above conditions are met again. This means you must place an explosive in your inventory. Having them stored in Chests or other containers will not fulfill this requirement. In the PC version, the Demolitionist will lob Grenades at nearby enemies to defend himself.
Items sold[edit | edit source]
|Hellfire Arrow||1||After defeating the Wall of Flesh.|
|Land Mine||5||After defeating Plantera and a Pirate Invasion. (Does not seem to sell in multiplayer servers)|
|Explosive Powder||12||After defeating the Wall of Flesh.|
|Roman Candle||5||During Christmas.|
|Bouncy Bomb||5||After defeating Solar Eclipse. (Does not seem to sell in multiplayer servers)|
|Holy Hand Grenade||5||After defeating King Slime and Turkor the Ungrateful.|
|Stynger Bolt||10||After defeating Golem.|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Demolitionist's weapons—Grenades—are surprisingly powerful, considering how early-on he may spawn in the game. Thus, he can be a great help during blood moons.
Names[edit | edit source]
The Demolitionist may have any of the following names:
Quotes[edit | edit source]
- "Dynamite, my own special cure-all for what ails ya."
- "Explosives are da' bomb these days. Buy some now!"
- "Why purify the world when you can just blow it up?" (Only if Dryad is present.)
- "It's a good day to die!"
- "I'm sure [Name of Nurse] will help you if you accidentally lose a limb to these." (Only if Nurse is present.)
- "I wonder what happens if I... (BOOM!)... Oh, sorry, did you need that leg?"
- "Even [Name of Arms Dealer] wants what I'm selling!" (Only if Arms Dealer is present)
- "Would you rather have a bullet hole or a grenade hole? That's what I thought." (Only if Arms Dealer is present.)
- "Check out my goods; they have explosive prices!" (This was bugged before 1.1.)
- "Trying to get through that ebonrock, huh? Check out my explosives!"
Only at night:
- "NO SMOKING IN HERE!!!"
- "If you throw this one in the bathtub and close all the windows, it'll clear your sinuses and pop your ears!"
- "Wanna play Fuse Chicken?"
- "Hey, could you sign this Griefing Waiver?" (Referring to the term "griefing" used in video games, the act of ruining a player's game with actions such as destroying buildings)
Only during Blood Moon:
- "I've got something for them zombies alright!"
- "Hey, have you seen a clown around?" (Indirectly references that Clowns throw explosives)
- "There was a bomb sitting right here, and now I can't seem to find it..." (Possible reference to Clowns carrying bombs)
During a party:
- "You might want to be careful today. Us dwarves tend to have pretty explosive parties."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Demolitionist's appearance seems to be based on dwarves from many games, films and works of literature. He is significantly shorter than other NPCs and has a beard. Furthermore, his mining helmet, lantern, and the fact that he sells Explosives fits the trope of dwarves preferring underground environments. This further proved in one of his quotes during a party.
- Several of his names are also references to dwarf characters in fiction, such as Gimli from The Lord of the Rings or Beldin from The Belgariad. Fikod and Urist are generic dwarven names from Dwarf Fortress. Durim is a corruption of Durin, a dwarven king mentioned in J.R.R. Tolkien's books.
- Morthal is a name of a Hold Capital in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
- Ironically, he used to have the sprite for the Arms Dealer in the pre-release version.
- The Demolitionist is depicted in a painting called American Explosive.
- In one of his quotes, he calls ebonstone ebonrock.
History[edit | edit source]
- 22.214.171.124: Buying a landmine requirement reduced from defeating Golem and at least one Pirate Invasion to defeating Plantera and at least one Pirate Invasion.
- 1.2: Now sells explosive powder and landmines.
- 1.1: Now has random name given to him on spawn. His death will be reported with this name. Also other NPCs will use it in their quotes.
- 1.0.3: Now triggered to arrive when the players have Sticky Bombs or Grenades in their inventory.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.