|Use time||19 (Very Fast)|
|Tooltip||Casts a demon scythe|
The Demon Scythe is a Magic Weapon that fires circular projectiles that can pierce through multiple enemies and/or large enemies for multiple hits on each. Its projectiles have little to no movement for the first second or two, then gradually gain speed. The Demon Scythe has a 2% (1:50) chance of being dropped by Demons in The Underworld.
The Demon Scythe's projectiles emit a good deal of light, and depending on their momentum when impacting a surface, will produce illuminating sparks that continue on the same trajectory, even through thick walls. It can therefore be useful for cave exploration.
The best Modifier for the Demon Scythe is Mythical.
- The Demon Scythe's projectile can travel through a 1-block gap.
- The Demon Scythe can pierce through 5 enemies.
- It uses the same sound effect as the Shadow Orb (item) and switching gravities while the Gravitation Potion is in effect, as well as the Vilethorn and Terra Blade.
It seems to have a better drop chance from arch demons.
- The Demon Scythe remains useful well into Hardmode, as its damage rate rivals that of many Hardmode weapons, especially when fired up-close for continuous damage while the projectile is still picking up speed.
- It is an extremely potent weapon vs. The Wall of Flesh, able to damage ALL enemies associated with it, as well as the boss itself thanks to piercing.
- Can be effective against The Destroyer if you place a scythe then move out of the way. Use a Hunter Potion to see where The Destroyer will emerge.
- Its Reforge cost is surprisingly low, and gaining the Mythical Modifier is worthwhile.
- The slow speed allows the user to lay temporary traps. If you are fighting worm monsters, get into a position where you know they will jump up at you from below. Aim in the rough direction you think the worm will travel and fire off a few scythes before moving out of the way. This can cause extreme amounts of damage, and even kill a Bone Serpent with just one scythe.
- Flying creatures can easily become annoying as they swarm you, like the Hellbat. The best way to kill them with one scythe is to wait for them to get close to you, then fire a scythe just before they get in close enough to damage you. The scythe will damage/knock them back, and if flying at the right angle, will ram into them again, killing them instantly.
- It's effective for finding unseen caves or minerals. Simply fire a scythe about 10 blocks away and when the scythe hits the wall, the sparks will shoot far into the wall.
- Demon Scythes can be shot through Wood platforms, and hence can make a good weapon for farming flying enemies, such as Demon Eyes.
- The Demon Scythe projectile is actually called a Demon Sickle.