- See also: Underground Desert.
The Desert is a sandy biome. Each map will generally contain at least two desert areas. Drained Oceans also become deserts. Pools of water can appear in deserts, taking on a sandy yellow color. Pyramids can rarely appear in Desert Biomes, generated at world creation.
An area is considered a Desert biome if there are at least 1000 sand blocks, causing the water and background to change, but desert plants and enemies can spawn on even a single block of sand. Deserts are overridden by most other biomes. Rain will occur in deserts just as in any other surface biome. Sandstorms may also occur periodically, which causes special enemies to spawn as well as slowing down the player according to the sandstorm's direction.
During Hardmode, the increased spread of the Corruption/Crimson and Hallow is likely to eventually convert any normal Deserts. Corruption/Crimson deserts spawned upon world creation may also be turned into Hallow ones if they are inside the world part that is instantly converted at the beginning of Hardmode. All variations will be similar to their main biomes (e.g. The Corruption or The Hallow): the music theme is the same, the mobs are the same (excepted the Dark and Light Mummies), and the background is just slightly different. The sand will be replaced by ebonsand, crimsand, or pearlsand. Although their color will change, cacti still drop cactus when cut, and waterleaf are also able to grow on hallowed desert.
This is the only biome to not contain special fishing catches.
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Drops||For Sale|
| From normal, Dark,
From normal Mummies:
From Dark Mummies:
From Light Mummies:
From Shadow Mummies:
| From Antlions:
From Antlion Swarmers:
From Antlion Chargers:
From the terrain:
|From the Painter:|
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Sand blocks can be crafted into Glass, which can be crafted into Mugs, which are filled at a Keg to produce Ale, which has a sell price of 20 each. Though the sell price is low, this is one of the only sources of coins in the game that is always readily available. Assuming the player carries only a Pickaxe and one other Weapon for fighting off any enemies encountered, while keeping all other Inventory and ammo slots available for sand collection: 41,958 sand blocks (42 slots x 999 max sand stack per slot) = 20979 Glass blocks = 20979 Mugs = 20979 Ale x 20 each = 419580 ; or 41 95 80 .
History[edit | edit source]
- Added Sandstorm event.
- Added a heat distortion visual effect.
- 18.104.22.168: Added Underground Desert, including new mobs and blocks.
- 1.2.3: Fixed a bug where Crimsand deserts were not making the water show up red.
- Water in desert is now yellow.
- Now has its own specific music.
- Cacti no longer damage the player.
- Now has own specific background.
- Cacti no longer cause knockback when damaging players and no longer destroy blocks above when growing.
- Desert spawn slightly farther away from initial spawn point.
- 1.0.5: Cactus, Waterleaf, Antlion, and Vulture added to desert biomes.
- 1.0.2: Sand no longer spawns within a certain distance of the spawn location. This removes the chance of spawning in a desert with no wood to use.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Surface Layers||Forest • Desert • Ocean • Snow • Jungle • Mushroom • The Corruption • The Crimson • The Hallow • Space|
|Underground Layers||Underground • Cavern • Underground Snow • Underground Desert • Underground Jungle • Underground Mushroom • Underground Corruption • Underground Crimson • Underground Hallow • The Underworld|
|Special Biomes||Meteorite • Granite Cave • Marble Cave • Spider Nest • Bee Hive • Dungeon • Lihzahrd Temple|
|Other||Living Tree • Enchanted Sword Shrine • Floating Island • Underground Cabin • Chasm • Pyramid • Jungle Shrine • Living Mahogany Tree • Jungle Sanctum • Ruined House|