The Drax is an alternative to the Pickaxe Axe. Appearances and sounds aside, the two tools are functionally identical. Unlike most drills, Drax has a minimal amount of knockback, making its best possible modifier Godly.
It is obtained after killing the three Mechanical Bosses and combining their souls with some hallowed bars.
In the mobile version, it has a 0.003% chance of being found In a Shadow Chest.
It can mine any block except Lihzahrd Bricks.
- Due to its rapid attack speed, high damage and knockback, it can serve as a melee weapon for low-end close-range targets.
- The Drax is the only drill with knockback.
- It used to be called the Hamdrax as it had 85% hammer power, but as of 1.2, it no longer has its hammer abilities. This is due to the fact that hammers can now be used to create slopes and half-blocks, which would conflict with its mining functionality. In addition, players often complained that they would accidentally remove background walls when building using the Hamdrax. As of version 1.2, with an exception of early 1.3, no item combining the abilities of a hammer, pickaxe, and axe currently exist, presumably for these very reasons.
- "Drax" is a portmanteau of words, drill and axe, because it can perform the actions of both.
- The original tooltip for the Hamdrax was “Not to be confused with a hamsaw.”
- The message that shows up on the mobile version when you kill a player with a Drax still shows it as death by Hamdrax.
- 1.2.3: Recipe now includes one of each of the Souls dropped by the Mechanical Bosses.
- 1.2: Changes:
- Removed Hammer capabilities
- Re-named to "Drax"
- Now only takes Hallowed Bars to craft
- 1.1: Introduced as Hamdrax.