The Drax is a Hardmode ( ) tool that is the alternative to the Pickaxe Axe. Appearances and sounds aside, the two tools are functionally identical, but the Pickaxe Axe is half a second faster than the Drax, just like every Hardmode drill/pickaxe. Unlike most drills, Drax has a minimal amount of knockback.
It can be crafted after killing the three Mechanical Bosses and combining their souls with Hallowed Bars.
On the Mobile version and version, it has a chance of being found In a Shadow Chest, making it obtainable in pre-Hardmode.
Like the Pickaxe Axe, its power is sufficient to mine any block except Lihzahrd Bricks.
Its best Modifier is Godly.
|| Drax Attax • "Craft a drax or pickaxe axe using hallowed bars, and the souls of the three mechanical bosses."
| Craft your first Drax or Pickaxe Axe.
- Due to its rapid attack speed, high damage and knockback, it can serve as a melee weapon for low-end close-range targets.
- () If found in a Shadow Chest pre-hardmode, the player has a significant mining advantage, as it can mine all pre-Plantera blocks, at which point the Picksaw is needed. This can prove useful throughout all of the game, at least until a Picksaw is required.
- It used to be called the Hamdrax as it had 85% hammer power, but as of 1.2, it no longer has its hammer abilities. This is due to the fact that hammers can now be used to create slopes and half-blocks, which would conflict with its mining functionality. In addition, players often complained that they would accidentally remove background walls when building using the Hamdrax. As of version 1.2, with an exception of early 1.3, no item combining the abilities of a hammer, pickaxe, and axe currently exist, presumably for these very reasons.
- "Drax" is a portmanteau of words, drill and axe, because it can perform the actions of both.
- The original tooltip for the Drax was “Not to be confused with a hamsaw.”
- When a player is killed by a Drax in PVP, the death message will refer to the tool as a "Hamdrax", its old name.