- For tips on navigating the Dungeon, see Guide:Surviving in the Dungeon.
The Dungeon is a vast underground brick labyrinth that is generated on World creation, either on the far right or left of the map. It begins at an above-ground entrance structure resembling a castle, and extends down to the deeper Cavern depths. It can appear in a variety of colors, which the game randomly picks when the world is first created. A single Dungeon is generated in each world. Accessing the Dungeon requires first defeating Skeletron (see Access below).
The Dungeon contains unique furniture and enemies, whose spawn rates increase the deeper a player travels. There are also several Chests containing both Dungeon-only loot (listed below) and standard underground loot. A Golden Key is required to open each of these, which can be obtained from Pots, Dungeon Slimes, and from other Chests in the Dungeon. Prior to 1.2, the Floating Island chests also required a Golden Key to be opened.
A unique characteristic of the Dungeon is that it is densely furnished with placed items that can be retrieved by the player (using a Pickaxe) for later use. These items include Books, Water Candles, Chain Lanterns, Switches, Dart Traps, and Spikes. The bound Mechanic and the bound Goblin (if you defeat Skeletron after a Goblin Army) will also be found here, and can be freed when spoken to.
Several Dart Traps are Wired to Pressure Plates throughout the Dungeon, providing an extra hazard to both players and enemies. One of these is often found above-ground at the Dungeon's entrance. Chain Lanterns are also found wired to Switches, and some are switched off. You can right-click on these switches for a quick light source, instead of having to place your own. All of these items can be freed and picked up for later use by the player.
When spawned the dungeon will have numerous Faction Flags scattered around denoting what kind of enemies will be spawned there once hardmode commences. There are six different flags to be found.
In order to gain unrestricted access to the Dungeon, Skeletron must first be defeated. Skeletron is summoned by speaking to the Old Man, who guards the Dungeon entrance, at Night. The "curse" option will display, which will turn the Old Man into Skeletron when clicked. Speaking to the Old Man during the Day will not allow you to fight Skeletron.
The Dungeon can be entered but not fully explored before Skeletron is defeated. Traveling below zero depth in the Dungeon before Skeletron has been defeated will trigger multiple Dungeon Guardians, who will kill you with a single hit. If you can find a way to kill the Dungeon Guardians, they drop a rare and special item! You can tell if the requirements to spawn the Dungeon Guardian are ready if you hear the dungeon music, if you hear the Dungeon Guardian roar, or use a depth meter. Killing the Dungeon Guardian will also grant you deeper access into the dungeon, but it is assumed that you can and must still kill Skeletron.
Plantera must be defeated prior to the spawning of hardmode enemies inside the dungeon.
|Enemies||Unique treasures||Unique drops|
 Hardmode Dungeon
When you enter a Hardmode Dungeon after defeating Plantera, you will notice there will be new enemies. They will be much stronger than the regular enemies, and there is even one enemy that deals more damage than Skeletron Prime. Here is a short list of enemies:
- Rusty Armored Bones
- Blue Armored Bones
- Bone Lee
- Tactical Skeleton
- Dungeon Spirit
- Skeleton Commando
- Giant Cursed Skull
- Ragged Caster
- Skeleton Sniper
There are also a number of new drops available in the dungeon:
- Rifle Scope
- Tactical Shotgun
- Paladin's Shield
- Paladin's Hammer
- Wisp in a Bottle
- Magnet Sphere
- Black Belt
- Spectre Staff
- Inferno Fork
It's not recommended to take on the hardmode dungeon without Hallowed armor or better.
There will also be 5 biome-related chests, and you may need to kill many of the respective biome's enemies to get the key mold in order to craft the keys to unlock the chest specific to that biome.
- The Dungeon will always be on the side of the map opposite the Jungle. If you're looking for the dungeon and run into a Jungle, turn around and go the other way.
- A player is considered to be in the Dungeon if they're below the depth of -4 feet and standing in front of any naturally-placed Wall, if there are at least 250 Dungeon Bricks on screen, except dirt walls.
- You may also farm wires from the dungeon by using a wire cutter.
- The walls on the dungeon denote which faction of hardmode enemies will spawn after Plantera is killed. Each faction contains a type of Magic, Ranged, and Melee enemy. These factions are also indicated by the banners hanging in the dungeon.
- Dungeon brick walls will cause Blue Armored Bones, Necromancers and Skeleton Commandoes to spawn. They will also contain a large variety of paintings.
- Dungeon slab walls will cause Rusty Armored Bones, Ragged Casters and Skeleton Snipers to spawn.
- Dungeon tiled walls will cause Hell Armored Bones, Diabolists and Tactical Skeletons to spawn. There might be Dungeons without exposed tiled walls, Dungeon bricks have to be removed on some zones to expose them so that specific enemies can spawn.
- 220.127.116.11: Now only generates hardmode enemies after Plantera is defeated.
- 1.2: Now generates with biome-key locked chests and Faction Flags. which denote what will spawn there in Hardmode.
- Now has its own music instead of the Eerie theme.
- 1.1: Now generated with traps and light sources wired to switches.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Forests • Deserts • Ocean • Jungle • Snow • The Corruption • The Crimson • The Hallow • Rain • Mushroom Biome|
Underground • Cavern • The Underworld • Underground Jungle • Underground Snow • Underground Corruption • Underground Crimson • Underground Hallow
Dungeon • Meteorite • Floating Island • Living Tree • Spider Nest • Pyramid • Bee Hive • Lihzahrd