that guard the Dungeon
against intruders. If a player enters the Dungeon without first killing Skeletron
and travels below zero depth (the vertical center of the map), multiple Dungeon Guardians quickly fly at the player, dealing 9,000 damage each, effectively killing any player instantly. Dungeon Guardians are large, very fast, and travel through blocks
Dungeon Guardians are immune to the Poisoned, On Fire!, and Cursed Inferno debuffs.
- Deep caves and Chasms near the Dungeon should be avoided until Skeletron is defeated, as having a significant portion of the Dungeon on-screen below zero depth is considered being inside it, and Guardians can therefore still spawn.
- Killing a Dungeon Guardian is not impossible, though it would take 9,999 hits due to its absurdly high defense. Combined with the fact that you generally need to contend with multiple Guardians at once, victory is highly unlikely without mods or hacks. Dungeon Guardians do not drop any items or coins, nor even a corpse.
- Entering the Dungeon while fighting Skeletron will still spawn the Dungeon Guardian.
- Dungeon Guardians have the same appearance as the Skeletron Head.
- Originally, actual Skeletron Heads were used to guard the Dungeon. Killing all Skeletron Heads would count as defeating Skeletron, so the Dungeon Guardian was created to repair this unintentional behavior.
- ↑ 1.0.5 Patchlog: “Entering the dungeon before defeating Skeletron now spawns a new NPC instead of Skeletron’s head. This should fix several issues with that event.”