that guard the Dungeon
against intruders. If a player enters the Dungeon without first killing Skeletron
and travels below zero depth (the horizontal midline of the map), one or more Dungeon Guardians quickly fly at the player, dealing 1,000 damage each, effectively killing any player that they touch instantly. Dungeon Guardians are large, very fast, and travel through all blocks
Dungeon Guardians are immune to the Poisoned, On Fire!, and Cursed Inferno debuffs.
A skybridge designed to kill Guardians. Part of it is a "stairway" that runs from the Dungeon depth at which Guardians spawn up to the skybridge. Both stair and skybridge are (partially) made using Asphalt Blocks
- Deep caves and Chasms near the Dungeon should be avoided until Skeletron is defeated, as there is the risk of accidentally entering the Dungeon by digging.
- To be considered in the Dungeon, you must be in front of a dungeon wall. Simply having a large number of dungeon bricks on-screen will not count as being in the Dungeon.
- Killing a Dungeon Guardian is possible, though it would take thousands of hits due to its absurdly high defense. Combined with the fact that you generally need to contend with multiple Guardians at once, victory is extremely unlikely unless you prepare carefully for the encounter.
- Entering the Dungeon while fighting Skeletron will still spawn the Dungeon Guardian.
- One method is to build a long sky bridge below the height where harpies and wyverns spawn, preferably out of asphalt blocks. Using weapons that do damage quickly like the Megashark or the Piranha Gun while running along the sky bridge works very well, it just requires patience.
- Another method is to use a teleporter wired to a 1-second timer along with a hall of spike ball traps. When executed properly, the Dungeon Guardian(s) will chase you as you teleport back and forth, taking damage from the spike balls. This method is effortless and saves bullets and gravitation potions.
- A full set of Frost Armor is also very good, considering the fact that it is not immune to the Frostburn debuff.
- Using Vampire Knives to shoot more than one knife at a time infinitely may be a good idea, although these will need to be obtained from another Dungeon's Crimson Chest.
- Using a Black Belt or Master Ninja Gear can save your life on accidental mishaps a tenth (10% chance to dodge) of the time.
- The Rod of Discord is capable of teleporting you out of sticky situations, but should not be overused due to the Chaos State debuff.
- The buff from the Titanium armor can sometimes help if the dungeon guardian hits you after the buff activates.
- In the console version, a good way to defeat a single Guardian is to use Titan armor with a Megashark & Crystal Bullets. While its defense is still too high to deal any more than 1 damage (2 for critical strikes), the ammo saving can still be useful to reduce the cost of preparation (you will need a LOT of bullets).
- The Chain Gun is another good weapon for killing a Dungeon Guardian, due to its extreme shooting speed, especially if it has the Rapid Prefix. Chlorophyte Bullets can be used to counter its inaccuracy.
- The Dungeon Guardian's insane stats and difficulty causes some players to consider it a boss.
- Originally, actual Skeletron Heads were used to guard the Dungeon. Killing all Skeletron Heads would count as defeating Skeletron, so the Dungeon Guardian was created to repair this unintentional behavior.
- If you continue going down into the Dungeon, and manage to dodge the first Dungeon Guardian, more may appear and eventually, quickly kill you due to their immense speed.
- It is possible to survive a Dungeon Guardian using Beetle armor (with shell), defense + warding acsessories and Ironskin and Well Fed buffs and 500 life. The guardian may hit 500 hp, which will kill you in one hit. Sometimes he will hit somewhere in the 480s and you will survive.
- If you teleport out with a Magic Mirror at the exact moment that a the Dungeon Guardian hits you, a death message will be displayed but you will survive.
- The AI-reset problem has now been fixed, causing Turtle armor to no longer deal massive damage. The damage is now reduced to 1, like all other attacks.
- Defense raised from 9000 to 9999.
- 18.104.22.168.1: Damaged reduced from 9000 to 1000, to prevent Turtle armor from dealing too much damage, however the exploit still works due to the Dungeon Guardian's AI resetting the damage (see [Discussion of this exploit] for details).
- 1.2: Now drops a Bone Key upon death.
- 1.0.5: Introduced, replacing Skeletron Heads as the Dungeon's guards.
- ↑ 1.0.5 Patchlog: “Entering the dungeon before defeating Skeletron now spawns a new NPC instead of Skeletron’s head. This should fix several issues with that event.”