|AI Type||Dungeon Guardian AI|
|Internal NPC ID: 68|
- For strategies on defeating a Dungeon Guardian, see Guide:Dungeon Guardian strategies.
Dungeon Guardians are enemies that guard the Dungeon against intruders. If a player enters the Dungeon without first killing Skeletron and travels below zero depth (a horizontal border separating the surface from the underground), one or more Dungeon Guardians quickly fly at the player, dealing 1,000 damage each, which effectively kills most players instantly. Dungeon Guardians are large, very fast, and travel through all blocks.
Any player attack on a Dungeon Guardian, regardless of the weapon or other equipment, will deal only 1 damage, or 2 for critical hits.
- If you are unlucky with a Teleportation Potion, and you are randomly teleported into the dungeon before fighting Skeletron, Dungeon Guardians will spawn. Due to the enclosed nature of the Dungeon, your chances of survival are slim.
- To be considered in the Dungeon, you must be in front of a dungeon wall. Simply having a large number of dungeon bricks on-screen will not count as being in the Dungeon.
- Killing a Dungeon Guardian is possible, though it would take thousands of hits due to its absurdly high defense. Combined with the fact that you generally need to contend with multiple Guardians at once, victory is extremely unlikely unless you prepare carefully for the encounter.
- Entering the Dungeon while fighting Skeletron will still spawn the Dungeon Guardian.
- If you're lucky enough when wearing a Master Ninja Gear you may be able to dodge its attack.
- It is possible to survive a hit from Dungeon Guardian using Beetle armor (with 3 beetle charges from beetle shell) and Lifeforce Potion (with maximum life), the damage can be reduced further with high defense and defensive potions.
- Originally, actual Skeletron Heads were used to guard the Dungeon. Killing all Skeletron Heads would count as defeating Skeletron, so the Dungeon Guardian was created to repair this unintentional behavior.
- Due to being invincible to direct damage in the tutorial on console, it is possible to survive all attacks from the Dungeon Guardian. This, however, is not the best way to defeat him as one; you will be knocked around incessantly without a cobalt shield making moving a challenge and two; the absurdly high defense of the Guardian makes it nearly impossible to kill him. If caught in this situation, the best way to stop is to drown yourself or be poisoned until you die.
- The AI-reset problem has now been fixed, causing Turtle armor to no longer deal massive damage. The damage is now reduced to 1, like all other attacks.
- Defense raised from 9000 to 9999.
- 184.108.40.206: Damage reduced from 9000 to 1000, to prevent Turtle armor from dealing too much damage, however the exploit still works due to the Dungeon Guardian's AI resetting the damage (see [Discussion of this exploit] for details).
- 1.2: Now drops a Bone Key upon death.
- 1.0.5: Introduced, replacing Skeletron Heads as the Dungeon's guards.
- 1.0.5 Patchlog: “Entering the dungeon before defeating Skeletron now spawns a new NPC instead of Skeletron’s head. This should fix several issues with that event.”