|Editors, please note: When updating information for items that existed prior to 1.3, remember that there are other, non-PC editions of the game to which the old information still applies. Try not to remove this older information as you add new 1.3 information.|
|Damage||1000 / 2000|
|Max Life||9999 / 19998|
|Internal NPC ID: 68|
- For strategies on defeating a Dungeon Guardian, see Guide:Dungeon Guardian strategies.
Dungeon Guardians are enemies that guard the Dungeon against intruders. If a player enters the Dungeon without first killing Skeletron and travels below zero depth (a horizontal border separating the surface from the underground), one or more Dungeon Guardians quickly fly at the player, dealing 1,000 damage each, which effectively kills most players instantly. You can survive one hit from Dungeon Guardian if you have 153 in defense. Dungeon Guardians are large, very fast, and travel through all blocks.
Any player who attacks a Dungeon Guardian, regardless of the weapon or other equipment, will deal only 1 damage, or 2 for critical hits.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- To be considered in the Dungeon, you must be in front of a dungeon wall. Simply having a large number of dungeon bricks on-screen will not count as being in the Dungeon.
- The Dungeon Guardian will override all Dungeon spawns, so the Bound Mechanic and Angry Bones are impossible to come across, even if the player somehow endures the Dungeon Guardian.
- In the Mobile Version the Dungeon Guardian still deals 10000 damage making instant death guaranteed
- He travels at a speed of 41 mph so using a Cosmic Car Key is useful against him as the UFO mount travels at the same speed.
- That can only spawn 15 Dungeon Guardians at the same time.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Killing a Dungeon Guardian is possible, though it would take thousands of hits due to its absurdly high defense. Combined with the fact that you generally need to contend with multiple Guardians at once, victory is extremely unlikely unless you prepare carefully for the encounter.
- High speed and critical chance are crucial for fighting the Dungeon Guardian, as every hit will do 1 damage, or 2 damage if it is a critical hit.
- Dungeon Guardians will adhere to the same spawn limits as any other monster: if there are too many monsters on-screen at once, they will not spawn.
- An efficient way to defeat the Dungeon Guardian is by using the Phantasm with the Endless Quiver. Although each hit will deal 1-2 damage, the high fire speed and additional homing arrows provide enough damage to deal about 75 damage per second on average. This combined with the UFO mount and the Stardust Cell or Dragon can take out Dungeon Guardians in about 5 minutes. This time can be lowered if you do not miss any arrow shots even when turning at the world border.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Originally, actual Skeletron Heads were used to guard the Dungeon. Killing all Skeletron Heads would count as defeating Skeletron, so the Dungeon Guardian was created to repair this unintentional behavior.
- Despite being intended to be unbeatable, it is not invincible like Spike Balls and Blazing Wheels are.
History[edit | edit source]
- The speed of Dungeon Guardians and any other mobiles with the Dungeon Guardian Al (Skeletron and Skeletron Prime during day) has been buffed to move faster when flying in clear air.
- If the Dungeon Guardian is going through blocks then its speed slows down.
- When trying to outrun it with asphalt blocks, the Dungeon Guardian will chase you down and keep a certain distance near the player until you stop or if it goes through blocks
- The AI-reset problem has now been fixed, causing Turtle armor to no longer deal massive damage. The damage is now reduced to 1, like all other attacks.
- Defense raised from 9000 to 9999.
- 18.104.22.168: Damage reduced from 9000 to 1000, to prevent Turtle armor from dealing too much damage, however the exploit still works due to the Dungeon Guardian's AI resetting the damage (see [Discussion of this exploit] for details).
- 1.2: Now drops a Bone Key upon death.
- 1.0.5: Introduced, replacing Skeletron Heads as the Dungeon's guards.
References[edit | edit source]
- 1.0.5 Patchlog: “Entering the dungeon before defeating Skeletron now spawns a new NPC instead of Skeletron’s head. This should fix several issues with that event.”