- For strategies on how to defeat a Dungeon Guardian, see Guide:Dungeon Guardian strategies.
Dungeon Guardians are enemies that guard the Dungeon against intruders. If a player enters the Dungeon without first killing Skeletron and travels below zero depth (the horizontal midline of the map), one or more Dungeon Guardians quickly fly at the player, dealing 1,000 damage each, effectively killing any player that they touch instantly. Dungeon Guardians are large, very fast, and travel through all blocks.
- If you are unlucky with a Teleportation Potion, and you are randomly teleported into the dungeon before fighting Skeletron, Dungeon Guardians will spawn. Due to the enclosed nature of the Dungeon, your chances of survival are slim.
- To be considered in the Dungeon, you must be in front of a dungeon wall. Simply having a large number of dungeon bricks on-screen will not count as being in the Dungeon.
- Killing a Dungeon Guardian is possible, though it would take thousands of hits due to its absurdly high defense. Combined with the fact that you generally need to contend with multiple Guardians at once, victory is extremely unlikely unless you prepare carefully for the encounter.
- Entering the Dungeon while fighting Skeletron will still spawn the Dungeon Guardian.
- If you have full Beetle armor with Shell and your Beetle Endurance (buff) is full it is possisble to get you a second chance if the guardian hits you.
- If you're lucky enough when wearing a Master Ninja Gear you may be able to dodge it's attack.
- The Dungeon Guardian's insane stats and difficulty causes some players to consider it a boss.
- Originally, actual Skeletron Heads were used to guard the Dungeon. Killing all Skeletron Heads would count as defeating Skeletron, so the Dungeon Guardian was created to repair this unintentional behavior.
- If you continue going down into the Dungeon, and manage to dodge the first Dungeon Guardian, more may appear and eventually, quickly kill you due to their immense speed.
- It is possible to survive a Dungeon Guardian using Beetle armor (with shell), defense + warding accessories and Ironskin and Well Fed buffs and 500 life. The guardian may hit 500 hp, which will kill you in one hit. Sometimes he will hit somewhere in the 480s and you will survive, you can reduce this damage further using Endurance Potions, a Lifeforce Potion and having a friend with a Paladin's Shield equipped.
- On Mobile version (During San Valentine) the best way to defeat Dungeon Guardian is using Heart Arrows as it can stun it making it ridiculously easy. However buying these arrows may be very expensive (a stack of 10,000 arrows costs 50 ) and is a must use the Necro armor, also it doesn't drop any loot making it wasteful.
- The best way to fight the Dungeon Guardian is to use a Rapid Chain Gun with Crystal Bullets, equipped with Fishron Wings, Frostspark Boots (both with the Quick Modifier) and Shroomite Armor.
- The AI-reset problem has now been fixed, causing Turtle armor to no longer deal massive damage. The damage is now reduced to 1, like all other attacks.
- Defense raised from 9000 to 9999.
- 126.96.36.199: Damaged reduced from 9000 to 1000, to prevent Turtle armor from dealing too much damage, however the exploit still works due to the Dungeon Guardian's AI resetting the damage (see [Discussion of this exploit] for details).
- 1.2: Now drops a Bone Key upon death.
- 1.0.5: Introduced, replacing Skeletron Heads as the Dungeon's guards.
- 1.0.5 Patchlog: “Entering the dungeon before defeating Skeletron now spawns a new NPC instead of Skeletron’s head. This should fix several issues with that event.”