- For strategies on how to defeat the Eater of Worlds, see Guide:Eater of Worlds strategies.
The Eater of Worlds is one of eight boss enemies. It is a giant Corruption-themed worm (resembling a Devourer, but much larger). It is summoned using the Worm Food from within The Corruption, or by destroying 3 Shadow Orbs.
The Eater of Worlds is not a single target, but a string of 50 body segments with individual life counters. When any inner segment is destroyed, it splits into multiple smaller worms, each with their own head and tail. Each section of the Worm must be killed in order to defeat the entire boss.
Fighting the Eater of Worlds is the only way to obtain Shadow Scale, which are required to craft the Nightmare Pickaxe, The Breaker, and Shadow Armor. Defeating the Eater of Worlds also produces usable quantities of Demonite Ore. Individual segments drop some of these when killed, with a larger bonus drop upon defeating the entire entity.
- Individual segments cannot survive on their own. Killing one segment, when that part only consisted of two segments, will kill both.
- The different sections of the Eater of Worlds are not equivalent: A Head section will deal significantly more damage than the Body or Tail, but has far less life.
- Trying to summon the Eater of Worlds with Worm Food while another is still alive will instantly kill the player. Summoning additional Eater of Worlds by breaking additional Shadow Orbs does work and will not kill the player.
- If the player leaves The Corruption, the Eater of Worlds will disappear.
- Like all Worms, the Eater of Worlds is immune to Lava.
- The Eater of Worlds, along with King Slime and the Wall Of Flesh, are the only bosses that can be summoned during day time.
- The Eater of Worlds has a total of fifty body segments, 1 head, 48 body segments and 1 tail. This brings its total HP up to (48*150+1*65+1*220, 7,200+65+220) 7,485.
Player being "Loop Attacked" by the EoW
- Farming the Eater of Worlds is one of the most effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode. Mid- to end-game armor and weapons will make the fight easy, and selling its drops will yield 9 to 11 each time, on average.
- Weapons that pierce for multiple hits are effective, due to the Eater's large size (eg. Demon Scythe, Flails, Spears, Spiky Balls, Vilethorn). The Harpoon is also effective, and is best used when being charged by his head.
- When you kill a section of the Eater of Worlds, they will drop hearts if the player is injured, as if it was another enemy. The near-constant hearts will heal the player, making the battle not as challenging as you may think.
- 1.1.2: The Eater of Worlds can now spawn when a third Shadow Orb is broken within the Hallow, but will still flee due to not being in the Corruption.
- No longer defeated when he flees.
- Head health reduced from 80 to 65, damage reduced from 43 to 22.
- Body health reduced from 210 to 150, damage reduced from 18 to 13, armor reduced from 7 to 4.
- Tail health reduced from 300 to 220, damage reduced from 15 to 11, armor reduced from 10 to 8.
- No longer drops Shadow Armor.
- Can no longer follow players out of the corruption.
- Head health reduced from 140 to 80, damage reduced from 50 to 43.
- Body life reduced from 230 to 210, damage reduced from 25 to 18.
- Tail life reduced from 350 to 300.
- Fixed a bug where simply selecting Worm Food in your quick bar summoned the Eater of Worlds.
- Head life increased from 120 to 140, damage increased from 40 to 50, armor increased from 0 to 2.
- Body life increased from 200 to 230, damage increased from 10 to 25, armor increased from 4 to 7.
- Tail life increased from 300 to 350, damage increased from 10 to 15, armor increased from 8 to 10.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
Eater of Worlds might disappear even if you fight him in the middle of the corruption. This might happen if it goes too far away from the player.