- For strategies on how to defeat the Eater of Worlds, see Guide:Eater of Worlds strategies.
"A horrible chill goes down your spine..."
"Screams echo around you..."
The Eater of Worlds is a giant Corruption-themed worm boss (resembling a Devourer, but much larger) with eyes on every segment of its body. It is summoned using the Worm Food from within The Corruption, or by destroying 3 Shadow Orbs.
The Eater of Worlds is not a single target, but a string of 50 segments (1 head, 48 body, 1 tail) with individual life counters. When any inner segment is destroyed, it splits into multiple smaller worms, each with their own head and tail. Each section of the Eater must be killed in order to defeat the entire boss.
Defeating the Eater of Worlds is the only way to obtain Shadow Scale, as well as usable quantities of Demonite Ore. Individual segments drop some of these when killed, with a larger bonus drop upon defeating the entire entity. The Eater of Worlds is immune to the Poisoned, On Fire!, and Cursed Inferno debuffs.
If your world generated Crimson instead of Corruption, this boss will be replaced by the Brain of Cthulhu.
- The different sections of the Eater of Worlds are not equivalent: A Head section will deal significantly more damage than the Body or Tail, but has far less life.
- Trying to summon the Eater of Worlds with Worm Food while another is still alive will instantly kill the player. Summoning additional Eater of Worlds by breaking additional Shadow Orbs does work and will not kill the player.
- If the player leaves The Corruption, the Eater of Worlds will disappear (unless one manages to lure it into the crimson which is unlikely).
- Like all Worms, the Eater of Worlds is immune to Lava.
- Individual segments cannot survive on their own. Killing one segment, when that part only consisted of two segments, will kill both.
- When a part is destroyed, if it results in another worm being made, the segment that becomes the tail will fully recover. The head doesn't seem to recover any health (tested in Console and PC).
Player being "Loop Attacked" by the EoW
- Farming the Eater of Worlds is one of the most effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode. Mid-game armor and weapons will make the fight easy, and selling its drops will yield 9 to 11 each time, on average.
- Weapons that pierce for multiple hits are effective, due to the Eater's large size (eg. Flails, Spears, Grenades, Spiky Balls, Molotov Cocktails, Vilethorn). The Harpoon is also effective, and is best used when being charged by its head.
- The individual worms have a tendency to retreat into the ground when their heads are destroyed.
- During Hardmode, it is an effective means of farming Soul of Night. One Soul of Night can be dropped per segment, the percentage being the same as with other mobs.
- During Hardmode, the Eater can be summoned to heal yourself when your health is low, even while fighting other bosses: Your equipment at this stage will kill segments quickly, and each segment drops more than enough hearts to not only offset their negligible damage, but also heal your character significantly, if not fully.
- Perhaps the easiest way to take care of the Eater of Worlds is using the Meteor Armor with the Space Gun. The Space Gun has high damage for this point in the game, and it pierces through enemies. Coupling this with the Meteor Armor's set bonus of the Space Gun using 0 Mana, you can easily pierce and kill multiple segments at once.
- If you are lucky enough to obtain a Water Bolt from the dungeon's upper section without having to fight Skeletron, it makes the boss battle trivial thanks to its piercing ability.
- Vilethorn is a highly suggested weapon to use against the Eater of worlds. Considering you can find one by breaking shadow orbs which in turn will eventually spawn the Eater of Worlds only makes it more of a reason to use it. You can easily beat it in less than 3 minutes because of how the thorns hit multiple parts of it's body and it sticks around, making the Eater of Worlds move very slowly.
- If possible, try to aim for the head or tails of each section, as if they die first, they will not split into more.
- You should use fast swords like Phaseblade, Phasesaber, Muramasa,and Cutlass. The Muramasa is especially useful because of its constant damage. It is a recommended weapon against the Eater of Worlds
- the dark lance is very effective when he is underground, as it kills each section allowing a player to stand in one spot.
Eater of Worlds might disappear even if you fight it in the middle of the corruption. This might happen if it goes too far away from the player.
Breaking a Shadow Orb
with a Clentaminator
in a corrupted chasm will display the boss summon message, but the worm won't appear. This seems to be beacause he is outside of the Corruption, and so instantly despawns.
Eater of Worlds randomly sets you on fire and instantly kills you. Not sure what causes this.
Eater of Worlds will sometimes die randomly but leave no items like healing potions.
Sometimes in multiplayer, Eater of Worlds is still alive even if the text "Eater of Worlds is defeated!" was announced.
When killed, there will be between 2 and 7 head segments that deal 1000 Damage but only have 1 Health. This Bug has not been tested.
Sometimes when the Eater of Worlds is spawned it will appear as if it is only his head and you are not able to damage other segments.This bug has been tested.
(iOS multiplayer) If the host will see "Eater of Worlds has been defeated!", others will see the message too, but there will be another Eater that spawns.
Eater of worlds may come as a line of Dungeon Guardians occasionally.
Sometimes on multiplayer the Eater will spawn randomly only visible to one player and will have no drops.
Sometimes, while fighting EoW on Hardmode, harmode ores will spawn as if you broke a Demon Altar
- 1.2.3: Now has a chance at dropping the Eater Mask.
- 1.2.1: Now has a chance at dropping the Eater's Bone as the drop chance is now fixed.
- 22.214.171.124: Now has a chance at dropping a Blend-O-Matic, this is meant to be the Eater's Bone drop however the drop is bugged.
- 1.2: Now has a chance of dropping the Eater of Worlds Trophy.
- The Eater of Worlds can now spawn when a third Shadow Orb is broken within the Hallow, but will still flee due to not being in the Corruption.
- No longer defeated when he flees.
- Head health reduced from 80 to 65, damage reduced from 43 to 22.
- Body health reduced from 210 to 150, damage reduced from 18 to 13, armor reduced from 7 to 4.
- Tail health reduced from 300 to 220, damage reduced from 15 to 11, armor reduced from 10 to 8.
- No longer drops Shadow Armor.
- Can no longer follow players out of the corruption.
- Head health reduced from 140 to 80, damage reduced from 50 to 43.
- Body life reduced from 230 to 210, damage reduced from 25 to 18.
- Tail life reduced from 350 to 300.
- Fixed a bug where simply selecting Worm Food in your quick bar summoned the Eater of Worlds.
- Head life increased from 120 to 140, damage increased from 40 to 50, armor increased from 0 to 2.
- Body life increased from 200 to 230, damage increased from 10 to 25, armor increased from 4 to 7.
- Tail life increased from 300 to 350, damage increased from 10 to 15, armor increased from 8 to 10.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.