"Screams echo around you..."
The Eater of Worlds is a pre-Hardmode giant Corruption-themed worm boss. It is summoned using the Worm Food from within The Corruption, or by destroying 3 Shadow Orbs that spawn in Corruption worlds.
The Eater of Worlds is not a single target, but a string of 50 segments (1 head, 48 body, 1 tail) with individual life counters. When any inner segment is destroyed, it splits into multiple smaller worms, each with their own head and tail. Each section of the Eater must be killed in order to defeat the entire boss.
Defeating the Eater of Worlds is the only way to obtain Shadow Scales, as well as usable quantities of Demonite Ore. Individual segments drop some of these when killed, with a larger bonus drop upon defeating the entire entity. The Eater of Worlds is immune to the Poisoned, On Fire!, and Cursed Inferno debuffs, and like all worms, is immune to Lava.
Defeating the Eater of Worlds allows the Tavernkeep NPC to spawn (in corrupt worlds).
The Crimson counterpart is the Brain of Cthulhu. The Hardmode Mechanical Boss equivalent of the Eater of Worlds is The Destroyer.
|| Worm Fodder • "Defeat the Eater of Worlds, a massive worm whom dwells in the corruption."
| Defeat the Eater of Worlds for the first time.
- If the player leaves the Corruption, the Eater of Worlds will disappear (unless one manages to lure it into The Crimson). This also happens when breaking Shadow Orbs outside of the Corruption biome (this is possible if surrounding Corruption is converted by Purification Powder or the Clentaminator) - the message text for the boss is displayed, and the boss spawns, but it will quickly sink through the map and despawn, usually before entering the player's screen.
- Trying to summon the Eater of Worlds with Worm Food while another is still alive will not work and the item will not be consumed. Breaking multiple Shadow Orbs will still allow multiple Eaters of Worlds to spawn. Regardless of how many are summoned, only the last head alive will drop loot.
- Though it is a boss, it is possible for an eater of worlds segment to drop a bloody machete and/or a bladed glove during Halloween.
- In Expert Mode, the Eater of Worlds shoots Vile Spit from all body parts.
- The different sections of the Eater of Worlds are not equivalent: A Head section will deal significantly more damage than the Body or Tail, but has far less life and less defense.
- Individual segments cannot survive on their own. Killing one segment, when that part only consisted of two segments, will kill both.
- When a part is destroyed, if it results in another worm being made, the segment that becomes the tail will fully recover. The segment that becomes the head will not heal.
- Its spawn location is relative to the player, not to the bottom of the map. Depending on where exactly the Eater of Worlds is summoned, it may get stuck underneath some empty terrain, such as a cave. It will only be stuck for a few seconds however, since it can travel through blocks.
- When the Eater of Worlds spawns, it begins in a coiled state, and then unravels. Attacking it in this state will damage all its segments in that spot, which can kill it in seconds. This also applies to the Destroyer.
- When despawning, it travels into the ground until it vanishes.
- The Eater of Worlds only takes 65% of the usual damage from Molotov Cocktails.
- In Expert mode, the Eater of Worlds takes 80% less damage from most explosives- however, this damage reduction does not seem to apply to Bouncy Bombs.
For more elaborate strategies on defeating Eater of Worlds, including Weapon and Arena recommendations, see Guide:Eater of Worlds strategies.
- Weapons that pierce for multiple hits are effective, due to the Eater's large size and multiple parts.
- Additionally, weapons with a large area of effect such as Grenades can be used to great effect. Keep in mind grenades seem to deal much less damage against it in Expert mode.
- Jester's Arrows are exceptionally useful against this boss. Their infinite piercing and decent damage allow them to destroy entire sections after it splits a few times, and they can still deal insane damage before then.
- The individual worms have a tendency to retreat into the ground when their heads are destroyed.
- If possible, try to aim for the head or tails of each section, as if they die first, they will not split into more.
- Farming the Eater of Worlds is one of the most effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode. Mid-game armor and weapons will make the fight easy, and selling its drops will yield 9 to 11 each time, on average.
- During Hardmode, fighting the Eater of Worlds in a corrupt snow biome is an effective way to farm Amaroks as each individual segment has the 1:80 chance to drop it, each yoyo can sell for 5 depending on the modifier.
- The Vilethorn (a 20% chance drop from smashing Shadow Orbs) can be effective against the Eater of Worlds as it can pierce through walls and can hit multiple segments of the Eater of Worlds at once.
- Since the Eater of Worlds will some times surround you, a quick way to get out is to have a bed over the battle area; you can then use a recall potion, magic mirror, ice mirror, or a cell phone to get out.
- Building a closed box (about 15x15) and using Water Bolt constantly is a great way to fight Eater of Worlds, however, you will need a decent amount of Health and Mana. Similar tactic can be used against Brain of Cthulhu.
- In Expert Mode, the Eater of Worlds will likely take all the money a player drops upon death, as each segment counts as a separate NPC. Therefore it is suggested that players store their money in a Chest, Piggy Bank, or Safe before summoning it.
- In Expert Mode, the Slime Mount will bounce and destroy Vile Spit if hit from atop, leaving player undamaged.
- 1.3.5: Sprite updated.
- 184.108.40.206: Reduced damage of the Vile Spit attack.
- 1.2.3: Now has a chance of dropping the Eater Mask.
- 1.2.1: Now has a chance of dropping the Eater's Bone as the drop chance is now fixed.
- 220.127.116.11: Now has a chance of dropping a Blend-O-Matic, this is meant to be the Eater's Bone drop however the drop is bugged.
- 1.2: Now has a chance of dropping the Eater of Worlds Trophy.
- The Eater of Worlds can now spawn when a third Shadow Orb is broken within the Hallow, but will still flee due to not being in the Corruption.
- No longer defeated when it flees.
- Head health reduced from 80 to 65, damage reduced from 43 to 22.
- Body health reduced from 210 to 150, damage reduced from 18 to 13, armor reduced from 7 to 4.
- Tail health reduced from 300 to 220, damage reduced from 15 to 11, armor reduced from 10 to 8.
- No longer drops Shadow Armor.
- Can no longer follow players out of the corruption.
- Head health reduced from 140 to 80, damage reduced from 50 to 43.
- Body life reduced from 230 to 210, damage reduced from 25 to 18.
- Tail life reduced from 350 to 300.
- Fixed a bug where simply selecting Worm Food in your quick bar summoned the Eater of Worlds.
- Head life increased from 120 to 140, damage increased from 40 to 50, armor increased from 0 to 2.
- Body life increased from 200 to 230, damage increased from 10 to 25, armor increased from 4 to 7.
- Tail life increased from 300 to 350, damage increased from 10 to 15, armor increased from 8 to 10.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.