Eater of Worlds
|Eater of Worlds|
|Shadow Scale (29-57)||100%|
|Demonite Ore (63-146)||100%|
|Lesser Healing Potion (5-15)||100%|
|Suspicious Looking Apple||?%|
|Eater of Worlds Mask||14.29%|
|Eater of Worlds Trophy||10%|
- For strategies on how to defeat the Eater of Worlds, see Guide:Eater of Worlds strategies.
"A horrible chill goes down your spine..." "Screams echo around you..."
The Eater of Worlds is a giant Corruption-themed worm boss (resembling a Devourer, but much larger) with eyes on every segment of its body. It is summoned using the Worm Food from within The Corruption, or by destroying 3 Shadow Orbs.
The Eater of Worlds is not a single target, but a string of 50 segments (1 head, 48 body, 1 tail) with individual life counters. When any inner segment is destroyed, it splits into multiple smaller worms, each with their own head and tail. Each section of the Eater must be killed in order to defeat the entire boss.
Defeating the Eater of Worlds is the only way to obtain Shadow Scale, as well as usable quantities of Demonite Ore. Individual segments drop some of these when killed, with a larger bonus drop upon defeating the entire entity. The Eater of Worlds is immune to the Poisoned, On Fire!, and Cursed Inferno debuffs.
- The different sections of the Eater of Worlds are not equivalent: A Head section will deal significantly more damage than the Body or Tail, but has far less life.
- Trying to summon the Eater of Worlds with Worm Food while another is still alive will instantly kill the player. Summoning additional Eater of Worlds by breaking additional Shadow Orbs does work and will not kill the player.
- If the player leaves The Corruption, the Eater of Worlds will disappear (unless one manages to lure it into the crimson which is unlikely).
- Like all Worms, the Eater of Worlds is immune to Lava.
- Individual segments cannot survive on their own. Killing one segment, when that part only consisted of two segments, will kill both.
- When a part is destroyed, if it results in another worm being made, the segment that becomes the tail will fully recover. The head doesn't seem to recover any health (tested in Console and PC).
- Farming the Eater of Worlds is one of the most effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode. Mid-game armor and weapons will make the fight easy, and selling its drops will yield 9 to 11 each time, on average.
- Weapons that pierce for multiple hits are effective, due to the Eater's large size (eg. Flails, Spears, Grenades, Spiky Balls, Molotov Cocktails, Vilethorn). The Harpoon is also effective, and is best used when being charged by its head.
- The individual worms have a tendency to retreat into the ground when their heads are destroyed.
- During Hardmode, it is an effective means of farming Soul of Night. One Soul of Night can be dropped per segment, the percentage being the same as with other mobs.
- During Hardmode, the Eater can be summoned to heal yourself when your health is low, even while fighting other bosses: Your equipment at this stage will kill segments quickly, and each segment drops more than enough hearts to not only offset their negligible damage, but also heal your character significantly, if not fully.
- Perhaps the easiest way to take care of the Eater of Worlds is using the Meteor Armor with the Space Gun. The Space Gun has high damage for this point in the game, and it pierces through enemies. Coupling this with the Meteor Armor's set bonus of the Space Gun using 0 Mana, you can easily pierce and kill multiple segments at once.
- A faster but more expensive way to use Meteor gear is to use the Star Cannon. If the Eater comes for you from a direction not blocked by platforms or blocks you can kill the entire creature in as little as about 10 Fallen Stars, as they pierce infinitely and deal enough damage to kill a segment in as little as 2 hits.
- If you are lucky enough to obtain a Water Bolt from the dungeon's upper section without having to fight Skeletron, it makes the boss battle trivial thanks to its piercing ability.
- Vilethorn is a highly suggested weapon to use against the Eater of worlds. Considering you can find one by breaking shadow orbs which in turn will eventually spawn the Eater of Worlds only makes it more of a reason to use it. You can easily beat it in less than 3 minutes because of how the thorns hit multiple parts of it's body and it sticks around, making the Eater of Worlds move very slowly.
- If possible, try to aim for the head or tails of each section, as if they die first, they will not split into more.
- You should use fast swords like Phaseblade, Phasesaber, Muramasa,and Cutlass. The Muramasa is especially useful because of its constant damage. It is a recommended weapon against the Eater of Worlds
- The Dark Lance is very effective when he is underground, as it kills each section allowing a player to stand in one spot.
- 1.2.3: Now has a chance at dropping the Eater Mask.
- 1.2.1: Now has a chance at dropping the Eater's Bone as the drop chance is now fixed.
- 18.104.22.168: Now has a chance at dropping a Blend-O-Matic, this is meant to be the Eater's Bone drop however the drop is bugged.
- 1.2: Now has a chance of dropping the Eater of Worlds Trophy.
- The Eater of Worlds can now spawn when a third Shadow Orb is broken within the Hallow, but will still flee due to not being in the Corruption.
- No longer defeated when he flees.
- Head health reduced from 80 to 65, damage reduced from 43 to 22.
- Body health reduced from 210 to 150, damage reduced from 18 to 13, armor reduced from 7 to 4.
- Tail health reduced from 300 to 220, damage reduced from 15 to 11, armor reduced from 10 to 8.
- No longer drops Shadow Armor.
- Can no longer follow players out of the corruption.
- Head health reduced from 140 to 80, damage reduced from 50 to 43.
- Body life reduced from 230 to 210, damage reduced from 25 to 18.
- Tail life reduced from 350 to 300.
- Fixed a bug where simply selecting Worm Food in your quick bar summoned the Eater of Worlds.
- Head life increased from 120 to 140, damage increased from 40 to 50, armor increased from 0 to 2.
- Body life increased from 200 to 230, damage increased from 10 to 25, armor increased from 4 to 7.
- Tail life increased from 300 to 350, damage increased from 10 to 15, armor increased from 8 to 10.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Worms |
| Giant Worm • Digger • Devourer • World Feeder • Leech • Bone Serpent|
Wyvern • Arch Wyvern • Eater of Worlds • The Destroyer