"Screams echo around you..."
The Eater of Worlds is a giant Corruption-themed worm boss. It is summoned using the Worm Food from within The Corruption, or by destroying 3 Shadow Orbs.
The Eater of Worlds is not a single target, but a string of 50 segments (1 head, 48 body, 1 tail) with individual life counters. When any inner segment is destroyed, it splits into multiple smaller worms, each with their own head and tail. Each section of the Eater must be killed in order to defeat the entire boss.
Defeating the Eater of Worlds is the only way to obtain Shadow Scales, as well as usable quantities of Demonite Ore. Individual segments drop some of these when killed, with a larger bonus drop upon defeating the entire entity. The Eater of Worlds is immune to the Poisoned, On Fire!, and Cursed Inferno debuffs.
If your world generated Crimson instead of Corruption, this boss will be replaced by the Brain of Cthulhu.
|| Worm Fodder
| Defeat the Eater of Worlds for the first time.
- In Expert Mode, the Eater of Worlds shoots Vile Spit from its heads.
- Slime Mount will bounce and destroy Vile Spit if hit from atop, leaving player undamaged.
- The different sections of the Eater of Worlds are not equivalent: A Head section will deal significantly more damage than the Body or Tail, but has far less life and less defense.
- Trying to summon the Eater of Worlds with Worm Food while another is still alive will not work and the item will not be consumed. Summoning additional Eater of Worlds by breaking additional Shadow Orbs doesn't work either.
- If the player leaves The Corruption, the Eater of Worlds will disappear (unless one manages to lure it into the crimson which is unlikely). This also happens when breaking Shadow Orb outside of corruption biome (this is possible if surrounding corruption is converted by Purification Powder or Clentaminator) - the message for boss is displayed but nothing happens.
- Like all Worms, the Eater of Worlds is immune to Lava.
- Individual segments cannot survive on their own. Killing one segment, when that part only consisted of two segments, will kill both.
- When a part is destroyed, if it results in another worm being made, the segment that becomes the tail will fully recover. The segment that becomes the head will not heal.
- There is a Hardmode Mechanical Boss equivalent of the Eater of Worlds, The Destroyer.
- Depending on where exactly you summon him, he may get stuck underneath some empty terrain, such as a cave. His spawn location is relative to the player, not to the bottom of the map. He will only be stuck for a few seconds though, since it can travel through blocks.
- When the Eater of Worlds spawns, it starts in a coiled state, and then unravels. Attacking it in this state will damage all its segments in that spot, which can kill it in seconds. This also applies to the Destroyer.
- When despawning, it travels straight up into the sky until it vanishes, unlike most bosses which travel underground.
For more elaborate strategies on defeating Eater of Worlds, including Weapon and Arena recommendations, see Guide:Eater of Worlds strategies.
- Weapons that pierce for multiple hits are effective, due to the Eater's large size and multiple parts.
- Additionally, weapons with a large area of effect such as the Medusa Head or Grenades can be used to great effect. Keep in mind grenades seem to deal much less damage against it in expert mode.
- The individual worms have a tendency to retreat into the ground when their heads are destroyed.
- If possible, try to aim for the head or tails of each section, as if they die first, they will not split into more.
- Farming the Eater of Worlds is one of the most effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode. Mid-game armor and weapons will make the fight easy, and selling its drops will yield 9 to 11 each time, on average.
- During Hardmode, fighting the Eater of Worlds in the snow biome is an effective way to farm Amaroks as each individual segment has the 1:80 chance to drop it, each yoyo can sell for 5 depending on the modifier.
- The Vilethorn (a 20% chance drop from smashing Shadow Orbs) can be effective against the Eater of Worlds as it can pierce through walls and can hit multiple segments of the Eater of Worlds at once.
- Building a closed box (about 15x15) and using Water Bolt constantly is a great way to fight Eater of Worlds, however, you will need a decent amount of Health and Mana. Similar tactic can be used against Brain of Cthulhu.
- A player could try putting themself in a crevice in the Underground Corruption, then use a sword that deals more than 54 damage, and constantly swing it (this works because the Eater of Worlds will charge straight at the player and the head can be destroyed before it even touches them). Not recommended in expert mode.
- 184.108.40.206: Reduced damage of the Vile Spit attack.
- 220.127.116.11: Added new AI in Expert Mode, will now shoot Vile Spit at players.
- 1.2.3: Now has a chance of dropping the Eater Mask.
- 1.2.1: Now has a chance of dropping the Eater's Bone as the drop chance is now fixed.
- 18.104.22.168: Now has a chance of dropping a Blend-O-Matic, this is meant to be the Eater's Bone drop however the drop is bugged.
- 1.2: Now has a chance of dropping the Eater of Worlds Trophy.
- The Eater of Worlds can now spawn when a third Shadow Orb is broken within the Hallow, but will still flee due to not being in the Corruption.
- No longer defeated when he flees.
- Head health reduced from 80 to 65, damage reduced from 43 to 22.
- Body health reduced from 210 to 150, damage reduced from 18 to 13, armor reduced from 7 to 4.
- Tail health reduced from 300 to 220, damage reduced from 15 to 11, armor reduced from 10 to 8.
- No longer drops Shadow Armor.
- Can no longer follow players out of the corruption.
- Head health reduced from 140 to 80, damage reduced from 50 to 43.
- Body life reduced from 230 to 210, damage reduced from 25 to 18.
- Tail life reduced from 350 to 300.
- Fixed a bug where simply selecting Worm Food in your quick bar summoned the Eater of Worlds.
- Head life increased from 120 to 140, damage increased from 40 to 50, armor increased from 0 to 2.
- Body life increased from 200 to 230, damage increased from 10 to 25, armor increased from 4 to 7.
- Tail life increased from 300 to 350, damage increased from 10 to 15, armor increased from 8 to 10.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.