Ectoplasm is a Hardmode endgame material. It is dropped from the Dungeon Spirit in the hardmode Dungeon after Plantera is defeated. Dungeon Spirits drop 1-2 Ectoplasm upon death. It is used to craft the Spectre armor and tools. To craft all Spectre equipment including the wings and both headgears in the PC version the player needs to acquire 136 Ectoplasm and 126 Chlorophyte Bars.
 Used in
- Due to the difficulty of the Dungeon in hardmode, Hallowed Armor or higher is recommended when farming Ectoplasm. It may take multiple trips to acquire enough for all items.
- Ectoplasm is a very good source of cash, as each piece of ectoplasm is worth 50 .
- If you have enough spare Souls of Flight, it may be desirable to craft Ghost Wings instead of simply selling the ectoplasm, as each set of wings is worth 8 , while the components are worth 5 40 .
- Ectoplasm is a fictitious ethereal substance appearing in games, movies, and books that ghosts, phantoms, and other entities leave in the mortal realm; usually when destroyed.
- 1.2.2: Now a crafting material for the Naughty Present.
- 1.2.1: Now a crafting material for the Pumpkin Moon Medallion.
- 1.2: Introduced.