Excalibur is a craftable Hardmode melee weapon, and can be upgraded into the True Excalibur. It used to be the strongest sword in the game, but has since been outclassed by several other swords introduced in the 1.2 patch. The Excalibur can be swung automatically by holding down the attack button, similar to the Muramasa, Cobalt Sword and Phasesaber. Like all Hallowed Melee weapons, when swung it emits a good deal of its own light and a sparkle effect.
 Used in
- The player is unable to turn while attacking with it, similar to the War Axe of the Night and The Breaker. It is advisable to briefly release the attack button between swings when the player wishes to turn around.
- Excalibur has a lower knockback than the Mythril Sword and Adamantite Sword, but equipping a Titan Glove dropped from Mimics greatly increases the knockback, making it a superb melee weapon for mobs in general.
- When used with a Hallowed Armor set, the swing speed is greatly increased, giving it excellent DPS having good worth as a PvP weapon. With the right accessories, buffs and modifiers, the base damage becomes 90, easily killing the toughest of Hardmode enemies.
- Excalibur is the mythical sword of King Arthur from Arthurian legends.
- The Excalibur and Night's Edge may be a reference to the game series Soulcalibur, in which there is a good sword called the Soul Calibur, and an evil sword called the Soul Edge. However, this could just be a coincidence.
- Before 1.2, this was the best sword in the game.