Eye of Cthulhu
The Eye of Cthulhu is typically the first boss a player generally encounters, as it spawns automatically when a relatively early level of game advancement is achieved. It can be considered the second easiest boss in the game (after the King Slime), though can still present a challenge to newer players.
Spawn[edit | edit source]
- At least one player in the world has at least 200 life and more than 10 defense.
- At least three Town NPCs are acquired.
- The Eye of Cthulhu has not yet been defeated in the current world.
Its approach is signaled with the message: "You feel an evil presence watching you..." Within 20-40 seconds of this message, the Eye of Cthulhu will appear and begin attacking the player. If the Eye of Cthulhu is not defeated by dawn, or if all players die or run away while fighting it, it despawns.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Eye of Cthulhu has two phases. During the first, he spawns Servants of Cthulhu while floating around the player, which drop Hearts and stars on death. After spawning a round of those, he flies at the player 3 times.
When the Eye of Cthulhu falls below half health (1400), it transforms into its second form, which rams the player more aggressively 3 times, then hangs in the air for a period. It no longer spawns Servants, and has lowered defense.
In Expert Mode he spawns more servants than normal, as well as 4-5 Servants upon transforming. The second form has another attack exclusive to Expert Mode, which is an empowered and numerous version of the dash, which also increases its defense by a large margin. He will do a fast chain dash in its second phase, using the attack more often the lower health it has. This can lead to it dashing almost continually at very low health, making it especially difficult for players in the early game to finish it off.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
Eye on You is the achievement you earn for defeating the Eye of Cthulhu for the first time.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If the boss is still active when day time comes, it will fly away and despawn, and the player will have to wait another night.
- If you log out after the message "You feel an evil presence watching you...," appears, the Eye will not appear.
- If you use the Suspicious Looking Eye after the message "You feel an evil presence watching you", it will summon one Eye of Cthulhu, and then later another will appear allowing the player to fight two Eyes of Cthulhu at once.
- If you are already fighting an Eye that was summoned using the Suspicious Looking Eye, and you use another Suspicious Looking Eye, nothing will happen, and the Suspicious Looking Eye will not be consumed from your inventory.
- The Eye of Cthulhu can be hit by a Fallen Star, which will deal 1000 damage (reduced by its defense).
- The Eye of Cthulhu's ore drop is based on if the player's world has Corruption or Crimson in it; if the world has Corruption then the eye will drop Demonite Ore; if the world has Crimson then the eye drops Crimtane Ore.
- If the player activates the Magic Mirror, the Eye will not follow them to their spawn if it's too far away from its current position, and the player may have to wait for one more night.
- If the corruption/crimson biome has officially disappeared (you can tell if the dryad doesn't say any percentage for the corruption/crimson), the Eye of Cthulhu may give the ores of the opposite biome (tested for corruption for eye of Cthulhu gives Crimtane Ore when corruption is gone but not tested for crimson biome).
- You do not technically need to beat the boss to progress through the rest of the game, as this boss has no unique drops (other bosses drop Crimtane Ore and Demonite Ore), but the items it does drop are pretty useful for new players.
- The Slime Mount is very effective on the Eye of Cthulhu's second form, making its charge easier to dodge and to jump on it and it will keep ramming into you, damaging it.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Eye of Cthulhu drops either Demonite Ore or Crimtane Ore. Game-advancing tools at that tier also require Shadow Scales or Tissue Samples respectively, which the Eye doesn't drop, so players will have to fight the Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu to progress.
- Due to the ease of crafting its summoning item and relatively low difficulty, farming the Eye of Cthulhu is one of the most effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode.
- The Eye of Cthulhu will only spawn if you have 10 or more defense. Taking defense-boosting equipment off before sundown can prevent it from spawning randomly.
- When the Eye of Cthulhu is changing into its second form, it stops moving and spins for a couple seconds, similarly to Ocram, leaving an opening to deal damage without it attacking back.
- The Eye looks at the player it will follow, which can be helpful information in multiplayer.
- In the Eye's Second Form, it cannot shoot its Servants(Though in Expert Mode it will spawn 3-5 Servants upon transforming), so it's best to use a Bow or ranged weapon against its second stage.
- Due to the value of Crimtane Ore being 1 silver coin more than each Demonite ore the average drop value is slightly more in crimson worlds than corruption worlds(846.5 Silver Coins vs 790.76 Silver Coins).
- If you manage to get the Slimy Saddle you can jump on the eye and kill it in this manner.
- Using this method you can easily reach the top of the world, however if you fall at this point it is all but guaranteed that the eye will despawn. As such, it is best to use this method for only short periods of time during the fight.
- Since you can use items while on the slime mount, you can use a weapon with sufficient range to damage the Eye further as you bounce on it, which can make short work of it with even the weakest equipment.
- If you also manage to defeat Skeletron (unlikely) and you have the Book of Skulls, you can defeat the eye easily in a matter of seconds.
- In Expert Mode, make sure you have boots that increase your running speed, such as Hermes Boots, so you can more easily dodge its faster charge attack.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Cthulhu is an entity from the works of writer H.P. Lovecraft, first appearing in his short story The Call of Cthulhu. Cthulhu is described as a slumbering Elder god who will destroy all living things should he ever awaken.
- Sometimes NPCs will mention sensing something evil watching them when you meet the requirements to battle the Eye of Cthulhu.
- In the Console Version and Mobile Version, the battle music is Boss 4 instead of Boss 1 .
- The endgame boss, the Moon Lord, spawns enemies called 'True Eye of Cthulhu'. This suggests that this Eye of Cthulhu isn't actually Cthulhu's eye.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- 18.104.22.168: Fixed bug dealing way too much damage in normal mode.
- 1.2.3: Can now drop Crimson Seeds on Crimson worlds, and has a chance to drop an Eye of Cthulhu Mask
- 1.2: Can now drop Crimtane Ore instead of Demonite Ore if the player is in a world with Crimson. Also now has a chance to drop a Trophy and/or a pair of Binoculars.
- 1.0.6: Health reduced from 3000 down to 2800.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.