Eye of Cthulhu
- Not to be confused with The Eye of Cthulhu, a Hardmode yoyo, or True Eye of Cthulhu, a minion of the Moon Lord.
The Eye of Cthulhu is a pre-Hardmode boss. In most cases, this is the first boss a player encounters, as it spawns automatically when a relatively early level of game advancement is achieved. It can also be summoned manually with the Suspicious Looking Eye (see Spawn below). It can be considered the second easiest boss in the game (the first being King Slime), though can still present a challenge to newer players.
Spawn[edit | edit source]
It also has a 1/3 chance of spawning automatically each night, if the following conditions apply:
- The Eye of Cthulhu has not yet been defeated in the current world.
- At least one player in the world has at least 200 life and more than 10 defense.
- At least three Town NPCs are acquired.
When spawning automatically, its approach is signaled with the status message: "You feel an evil presence watching you..." Within 20-40 seconds of this message, the Eye of Cthulhu will appear and begin attacking the player. If the Eye of Cthulhu is not defeated by Dawn (4:30am), or if all players die or run away while fighting it, it despawns.
In the Mobile version, if the message "You feel an evil presence watching you" appears and no player is on the Surface layer, the Eye of Cthulhu will not spawn until one player reaches the Surface layer.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Eye of Cthulhu acts in a manner similar to Wandering Eyes. Like most bosses, it travels through blocks.
The Eye of Cthulhu has two phases. During the first, it attempts to float directly above the player, while spawning Servants of Cthulhu, which drop Hearts and Stars on death. After spawning a round of those, it lunges at the player 3 times in succession, before repeating the cycle.
When the Eye of Cthulhu falls below half health (1400-2200 in expert mode.), it transforms into its second form, which rams the player more aggressively 3 times, then hangs in the air for a period. It no longer spawns Servants, and has lowered defense.
In Expert Mode, the boss spawns more Servants than normal, as well as 4-5 Servants upon transforming. The second form has an additional powerful, rapid dash attack, which also increases its defense significantly. These become more rapid as the Eye of Cthulhu's life is lowered, and it can dash nearly continuously when close to death.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Eye on You • "Defeat the Eye of Cthulhu, an ocular menace who only appears at night."|
|Defeat the Eye of Cthulhu for the first time.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- If you log out after the message "You feel an evil presence watching you...," appears, the Eye of Cthulhu will not spawn.
- The Eye of Cthulhu's ore drop is based on whether the world contains Corruption or Crimson: Demonite Ore for Corruption, and Crimtane Ore for Crimson. If the Corruption/Crimson have been completely eliminated from a world via Clentaminator, the boss may drop the "incorrect" Ore type.
- Attempting to use a second Suspicious Looking Eye while the Eye of Cthulhu is already spawned will not work, and the Suspicious Looking Eye will not be consumed from the player's inventory.
- It will fly off the screen and despawn once morning comes.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Slime Mount is very effective against it, allowing you to bounce on the boss continuously until it's defeated.
- The Eye of Cthulhu drops either Demonite Ore or Crimtane Ore. Game-advancing tools at that tier also require Shadow Scales or Tissue Samples respectively, which the Eye doesn't drop, so players will have to fight the Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu to progress.
- Due to the ease of crafting its summoning item and relatively low difficulty, farming the Eye of Cthulhu is one of the more effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode.
- The Eye of Cthulhu will only spawn randomly if a player has 10 or more defense. Taking defense-boosting equipment off before sundown can prevent it from spawning randomly.
- The boss looks at the player it will follow, which can be helpful information in multiplayer.
- Using Shurikens can be effective, as they pierce through both the Servants and the boss and drop back again, making it possible to hit the Eye of Cthulhu twice each.
- When it is spinning, it is most vulnerable because it cannot attack, except for in expert mode.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Cthulhu is an entity from the works of writer H.P. Lovecraft, first appearing in his short story, The Call of Cthulhu. Cthulhu is described as a slumbering cousin to the old ones who will destroy all living things should he ever awaken.
- Sometimes NPCs will mention sensing something evil watching them once you meet the requirements to battle the Eye of Cthulhu.
- In the Console version, the battle music is Boss 4 instead of Boss 1 .
- The endgame boss, the Moon Lord, spawns enemies called True Eye of Cthulhu.
- You do not technically need to beat this boss to progress through the rest of the game, as it has no unique drops (in normal mode). It will however continue spawning until beaten at least once.
- If you outclass the Eye of Cthulhu with late-game weapons, so that it never has a chance to transform to its second stage, its remains will still be of its second form.
See also[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: Fixed bug dealing way too much damage in normal mode.
- 1.2.3: Can now drop Crimson Seeds on Crimson worlds, and has a chance to drop an Eye of Cthulhu Mask
- 1.2: Can now drop Crimtane Ore instead of Demonite Ore if the player is in a world with Crimson. Also now has a chance to drop a Trophy and/or a pair of Binoculars.
- 1.0.6: Health reduced from 3000 down to 2800.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.