Eye of Cthulhu
The Eye Of Cthulu is one of the easiest bosses in pre-hardmode.
- For strategies on how to defeat the Eye of Cthulhu, see Guide:Eye of Cthulhu strategies.
"You feel an evil presence watching you..."
The Eye of Cthulhu is the first Boss a player will generally encounter, as it spawns automatically when a relatively early level of game advancement is achieved. It is considered the easiest Boss in the game, though still presents a challenge to newer players.
- At least one player in the world has at least 200 life and more than 10 defense.
- At least three Town NPCs are acquired.
- The Eye of Cthulhu has not yet been defeated in the current world.
Its approach is signaled with the message: "You feel an evil presence watching you..." Within 20-40 seconds of this message, the Eye of Cthulhu will appear and begin attacking the player. If the Eye is not defeated by dawn, or if all players die or run away while fighting it, it despawns.
The Eye of Cthulhu looks like an enormous Demon Eye. Like most bosses, it travels through all blocks.
The Eye of Cthulu has two phases, the first of which he spawns Servants of Cthulhu out of his pupil while floating around the player. After spawning these mini-eyes, which drop hearts and stars, he will fly at the player 3 times.
When it falls below half health (1400), it goes into its second phase. The Eye will only ram the player 3 times, and then float around you for a period of time. Unlike before, it no longer spawns mini-eyes. It also suffers from lowered defense.
- If you log out after the message "You feel an evil presence watching you...," the Eye will not appear.
- If you use the Suspicious Looking Eye after the message "You feel an evil presence watching you", it will summon one Eye of Cthulhu, and then later another will appear allowing the player to fight two Eyes of Cthulhu at once.
- If you are already fighting an Eye that was summoned using the Suspicious Looking Eye, and you use another Suspicious Looking Eye, nothing will happen, and a Suspicious Looking Eye will not be consumed from your inventory.
- The Eye of Cthulhu can be hit by a Fallen Star, which will deal 1000 damage (reduced by its defense).
- The Eye of Cthulhu's ore drop is based on if the player's world has Corruption or Crimson in it; if the world has Corruption then the eye will drop Demonite Ore; if the world has Crimson then the eye drops Crimtane Ore.
- If the player activates the Magic Mirror, the Eye will not follow them to their spawn if it's too far away from its current position, and the player may have to wait for one more night.
- The Eye of Cthulhu drops Demonite Ore. Most game-advancing Demonite items also require Shadow Scales, which the Eye doesn't drop (Shadow armor, Nightmare Pickaxe), so the Eater of Worlds should be the player's next goal. Likewise in a world with the Crimson instead of Corruption, the Eye of Cthulhu will drop some Crimtane Ore but not any Tissue Samples.
- Farming the Eye of Cthulhu is one of the most effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode, second only to the Eater of Worlds in one-time drop value. Its coin drop, combined with selling its item drops, will yield an average of 7 in total each time. Mid- to end-game armor and weapons make the fight very easy.
- Obtaining a Starfury from a Floating Island can greatly increase early/mid game success in besting this foe. Learning to control the falling star mechanic of the Starfury is key in this advantage because that the star does not fall randomly but rather in relation to the player and the cursor.
- When the Eye of Cthulhu is changing into its second form, it stops moving and spins for a couple seconds giving you a chance to deal massive damage.
- It's beneficial to make an arena that consists of multiple layers of wood platforms, as it is with most bosses.
- Using rope systems in your arena can help you dodge vertically, especially on the second stage. However, due to the dexterity required to maneuver between rope and platforms (you need a 1 space buffer between any platforms and the rope for maximum speed) and the extremely slow speed of horizontal rope, it is not recommended for either new players or players who are generally less adept at quickly maneuvering the controls to use this method.
- It helps to have a ranged weapon, as this makes it easier to hit the Eye of Cthulhu.
- Having something that allows flight helps by allowing you to get near to the Eye of Cthulhu while it is hovering.
- Using Shurikens or Throwing Knives against it in the early part of the game can cause a lot of damage rather easily, and the pierce of these items will also kill the Servants of Cthulhu it spawns almost instantly.
- Summoning the Eye of Cthulhu during a Blood Moon doesn't appear to make the fight any more difficult, and doesn't appear to increase the amount of loot that it should drop.
- The Eye looks at the player it will follow, which can be helpful information in multiplayer.
- The Eye has no special resistance against elemental attacks, making flaming arrows and other weapons with effects extremely effective against it.
- The Wooden Boomerang, Enchanted Boomerang, Ice Boomerang and the Flamarang are extremely effective weapons against the close range Eye and can get many hits in a few seconds making it one of the most effective weapon choices.
- Cthulhu is an entity from the works of writer H.P. Lovecraft, first appearing in his short story The Call of Cthulhu. Cthulhu is described as a slumbering Elder God who will destroy all living things should he ever awaken.
- Sometimes NPCs will mention sensing something evil watching them when you meet the requirements to battle the Eye of Cthulhu.
- 1.2.3: Can now drop Crimson Seeds on Crimson worlds, and has a chance to drop an Eye Mask
- 1.2: Can now drop Crimtane Ore instead of Demonite Ore if the player is in a world with Crimson. Also now has a chance to drop a Trophy and/or a pair of Binoculars.
- 1.0.6: Health reduced from 3000 down to 2800.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.