Eye of Cthulhu
"You feel an evil presence watching you..."
The Eye of Cthulhu is the first Boss a player will generally encounter, as it spawns automatically when a relatively early level of game advancement is achieved. It is considered the easiest Boss in the game, though still presents a challenge to newer players.
- At least one player in the world has at least 200 life and more than 10 defense.
- At least three Town NPCs are acquired.
- The Eye of Cthulhu has not yet been defeated in the current world.
Its approach is signaled with the message: "You feel an evil presence watching you..." Within 20-40 seconds of this message, the Eye of Cthulhu will appear and begin attacking the player. If the Eye is not defeated by dawn, or if all players die or run away while fighting it, it despawns.
The Eye of Cthulhu looks like an enormous Demon Eye. Like most bosses, it travels through all blocks.
The Eye of Cthulhu has two phases. During the first, he spawns Servants of Cthulhu while floating around the player, which drop hearts and stars on death. After spawning a round of those, he flies at the player 3 times.
When the Eye falls below half health (1400), it transforms into its second form, which rams the player more aggressively 3 times, then hangs in the air for a period. It no longer spawns Servants, and has lowered defense.
- If you log out after the message "You feel an evil presence watching you...," the Eye will not appear.
- If you use the Suspicious Looking Eye after the message "You feel an evil presence watching you", it will summon one Eye of Cthulhu, and then later another will appear allowing the player to fight two Eyes of Cthulhu at once.
- If you are already fighting an Eye that was summoned using the Suspicious Looking Eye, and you use another Suspicious Looking Eye, nothing will happen, and the Suspicious Looking Eye will not be consumed from your inventory.
- The Eye of Cthulhu can be hit by a Fallen Star, which will deal 1000 damage (reduced by its defense).
- The Eye of Cthulhu's ore drop is based on if the player's world has Corruption or Crimson in it; if the world has Corruption then the eye will drop Demonite Ore; if the world has Crimson then the eye drops Crimtane Ore.
- If the player activates the Magic Mirror, the Eye will not follow them to their spawn if it's too far away from its current position, and the player may have to wait for one more night.
- If the corruption/crimson biome has officially disappeared (you can tell if the dryad doesn't say any percentage for the corruption/crimson), the Eye of Cthulhu may give the ores of the opposite biome (tested for corruption for eye of Cthulhu gives Crimtane Ore when corruption is gone but not tested for crimson biome).
- In mobile version, the Eye of Cthulhu can die instantly when hit by a shooting star, making it much easier for new players to advance in the game.
- You do not technically need to beat the boss to progress through the rest of the game, as this boss has no unique drops(other bosses drop Crimtane Ore and demonite ore, but the items it does drop are pretty useful for new players.
- The Eye of Cthulhu drops either Demonite Ore or Crimtane Ore. Game-advancing tools at that tier also require Shadow Scales or Tissue Samples respectively, which the Eye doesn't drop, so players will have to fight the Eater of Worlds or Brain of Cthulhu to progress.
- Due to the ease of crafting its summoning item and relatively low difficulty, farming the Eye of Cthulhu is one of the most effective ways of making money prior to Hardmode.
- The Eye of Cthulhu will only spawn if you have 10 or more defense. Taking defense-boosting equipment off before sundown can prevent it from spawning randomly.
- When the Eye of Cthulhu is changing into its second form, it stops moving and spins for a couple seconds, giving you a chance to deal damage without fear of retaliation.
- The Eye looks at the player it will follow, which can be helpful information in multiplayer.
- In the Eye's Second Form, it cannot shoot the Servant of Cthulhu monster, so it's best to use a Bow to fight his second stage.
- Cthulhu is an entity from the works of writer H.P. Lovecraft, first appearing in his short story The Call of Cthulhu. Cthulhu is described as a slumbering Elder god who will destroy all living things should he ever awaken.
- Sometimes NPCs will mention sensing something evil watching them when you meet the requirements to battle the Eye of Cthulhu.
- In the Mobile Version the music is Boss 4 instead of Boss 1 .
- 1.2.3: Can now drop Crimson Seeds on Crimson worlds, and has a chance to drop an Eye Mask
- 1.2: Can now drop Crimtane Ore instead of Demonite Ore if the player is in a world with Crimson. Also now has a chance to drop a Trophy and/or a pair of Binoculars.
- 1.0.6: Health reduced from 3000 down to 2800.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.