|Tooltip||Allows flight and slow fall|
Wings are Hardmode Accessories that allow the player to fly temporarily by pressing and holding the jump key. They also provide immunity from fall damage, rendering the Lucky Horseshoe etc. unnecessary. There are currently 21 types of obtainable Wings, 1 of which can only be obtained in the console version. An additional 6 Wings are unobtainable. Flight time and speed vary by type.
Equipping Wings generally replaces jumps entirely with flight, rather than requiring a double-jump to activate. Flight is much more controlled with Wings than with Rocket Boots or Spectre Boots alone, and allow for much greater flight range. Flight time is reset when the player stands on blocks, or grabs a block with Grappling Hooks or the Climbing Claws.
Wings also allow the player to glide down rather than fall, by continuing to hold the jump key after flight time has been exhausted. Gliding fall speed can be accelerated by holding the down key in addition. The player is always immune to fall damage when Wings are equipped, whether or not the player has glided down.
|Cloud in a Bottle||no boost|
|All balloon accessories||+30% ascent speed|
||Rocket boot accessories||+42% Duration|
|Moon Charm||+4% ascent speed|
|Frog Leg||+48% ascent speed|
- Wings negate fall damage.
- Only Angel Wings and Demon Wings are available on mobile platforms.
- Wings work under Water.
- Multiple Wings will not stack flight ability. Only those in the lowest Accessory slot will function.
- Some jump-boosting accessories do stack with Wings to boost flight (see chart to the right).
- Wings are always visible on your character, unless you are using other equipment that adds graphics to your back, like the Leaf Blower or Turtle Scale Mail. They fold into a low-profile image when not in midair.
- When one Wing type is placed in a Vanity slot and the other in an Accessory slot, the full animation of the vanity Wings are shown, along with any lighting and particle effects. Flight speed and other functional characteristics follow those in the Accessory slot.
- All craftable Wings are crafted at the Mythril Anvil.
- All can be sold for 8 , except for the Fin Wings (20 ), and Leaf Wings (20 ). Developer-only Wings (classes 8 and 9) have no sell value.
- Most speed bonuses in the chart below apply only to horizontal movement. The Jetpack and Fishron Wings are the only Wings with accelerated ascents, though jump-boosting accessories also affect ascent speed.
- "Unobtainable" Wings are only available through inventory editing software or other hacks. Most of them (classes 8 and 9) are intended only for use by members of Terraria's development staff, and will kill other players who attempt to use them. Steampunk Wings are the only unobtainable Wings with no penalty for use, and which are not currently assigned to a Terraria staff member, though still require external software or hacking for use.
|1||100%|| 107 feet
|103.5%||Demon Wings||20 + 10||25|
|Sparkly Wings||30||Console only. Also sold by Dryad (40 )|
|Fin Wings||Quest reward from Angler.[note 1]|
|2||115%|| 121 feet
|108.225%||Jetpack|| Sold by Steampunker (40 )
during a waxing moon phase.
| Light particles during use.|
Quicker ascents using the up key.
|3||130%|| 135 feet
|Butterfly Wings||1||Light particles during use.|
|Fairy Wings||100||Light particles during use.|
|4||140%|| 144 feet
(72 blocks exactly)
|100%(?)||Bat Wings||1||No speed bonuses. Possibly a bug.|
|5||160%|| 163 feet
|108.225%||Leaf Wings|| Sold by Witch Doctor (1 )|
in Jungle biome at night.[note 1][note 2]
|123.750%||Frozen Wings||20||1||Visible in darkness but doesn't emit light.|
|Flame Wings||1||Light particles during use. Translucent.|
|Beetle Wings||8||Completely silent.|
|6||170%|| 172 feet
|123.750%||Festive Wings|| Dropped by |
Everscream (Frost Moon).
|103.5%||Hoverboard||20||18|| Down + jump allows horizontal hovering.|
Hovering speed boosted to 166.6%
|7||180%|| 182 feet
(91 blocks exactly)
|Tattered Fairy Wings||1|
|129.150%||Steampunk Wings||⚠ Unobtainable, but no usage penalty.|
| 284 feet
(142 blocks exactly)
|133.3%||Fishron Wings|| Dropped by Duke Fishron
| Unhindered movement in liquids. |
25% extra ascent speed.
Bubbles during use, not lit.
|8||190%|| 191 feet
|131.625%||Will's Wings||⚠ Unobtainable. Causes death upon use unless you are Will (Spriter).|
|Crowno's Wings||⚠ Unobtainable. Causes death upon use unless you are Crowno (Spriter).|
|D-Town's Wings||⚠ Unobtainable. Causes death upon use unless you are D-Town (Business Director).|
|Cenx's Wings||⚠ Unobtainable. Causes death upon use unless you are Cenx (Creative Director).|
|9||∞||∞||183.375%||Red's Wings||⚠ Unobtainable. Causes death upon use unless you are Redigit (Lead Developer).|
- Obtainable without killing a Wyvern or a Mechanical Boss, but Hardmode is required.
- The Witch Doctor must be moved into the Jungle biome by the player, which can be done by building a suitable house there and then using the housing menu to move his flag to it. Using a Teleporter in addition can get him to appear there faster. Alternatively, a King Statue can be placed and then repeatedly activated until he is moved there.
- When wings with particle effects (Flame Wings, Sparkly Wings etc.) are dyed, the particles will stay the same color.
- An Ice Rod can be used to lay blocks of ice to land in mid air, allowing you to stay in the air almost indefinitely, provided you have enough mana.
- Using Feather Fall Potion can also increase the duration of flight greatly, as the slow fall effect of the potion stacks with the wings, allowing very long glide.
- Similarly, holding an Umbrella will stack its slow fall effect with the wings.
- The use of Climbing Claws or any grappling hook in conjunction with the wings can allow a flight-time reset when the wearer attaches to a block.
- By holding the UP key during flight while using the the Bundle of Balloons, Frog Leg, Fishron Wings, Frostspark Boots, Flying Carpet, and Featherfall Potion, the player can attain a total maximum of ~1400 blocks of flight distance.
- To get a massive jump boost, even to the top of small worlds with Angel/Demon Wings, equip the Cloud in a Balloon and Rocket Boots, jump, then double-jump and hold the jump button.
- All of the wing types (except Jetpack) make the same sound when flapping. Hoverboard and Beetle Wings are silent.
- The Fishron Wings have the greatest flight height of any legitimately obtainable wings, as well as being better than all the developer wings with the exception of Red's Wings.
- You need 300 (320 on Console) souls of flight to create all creatable wings, and 1 40 (1 80 on Console) to buy the purchased wings.
- The Sparkly Wings are the only wings that have two methods of obtaining.
- 220.127.116.11: Fixed bug where Wing time would go into infinity if you held the jump button while standing and having Rocket Boots equipped.
- 1.2.4: Fin Wings and Fishron Wings added. Fixed bug where wings wouldn't work after getting out of water with Merman accessories equipped.
- 18.104.22.168: You can only equip one pair of wings at a time.
- 1.2.2: Festive Wings added.
- 22.214.171.124: Hoverboard added. Flame and Frozen Wings now fade when stealthed.
- 1.2.1: Spooky Wings and Tattered Fairy Wings added. Ghost Wings now need 10 ectoplasm to craft.
- 1.2: 11 new acquirable wing types added: Jetpack, Fairy, Butterfly, Bee, Bat, Bone, Harpy, Ghost, Flame, Frozen, Leaf. New developer-only Wings added. Steampunk Wings also added, but unobtainable.
- 1.1: Angel Wings and Demon Wings introduced.
| Post-Plantera entities |
|Accessories||Celestial Stone • Festive Wings • Ghost Wings • Hoverboard • Master Ninja Gear • Rifle Scope • Sniper Scope • Spooky Wings • Sun Stone • Tabi • Tattered Fairy Wings|
|Armor||Beetle armor • Shroomite armor • Spectre armor|
|Bosses||Golem • Mourning Wood • Pumpking • Everscream • Santa-NK1 • Ice Queen|
|Crafting||Autohammer • Lihzahrd Furnace • Ectoplasm • Shroomite Bar • Spooky Wood|
|Enemies||Blue Armored Bones • Bone Lee • Diabolist • Dungeon Spirit • Flying Snake • Giant Cursed Skull • Hell Armored Bones • Lihzahrd • Necromancer • Paladin • Ragged Caster • Skeleton Commando • Skeleton Sniper • Tactical Skeleton|
|Events||Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon|
|Tools||Picksaw • The Axe • Shroomite Digging Claw • Spectre Pickaxe • Spectre Hamaxe • Spectre Paintbrush • Spectre Paint Roller • Spectre Paint Scraper|
|Weapons||Bat Scepter • Blizzard Staff • Candy Corn Rifle • Chain Gun • Christmas Tree Sword • Elf Melter • Flower Pow • Grenade Launcher • Golem Fist • Heat Ray • Inferno Fork • Jack 'O Lantern Launcher • Keybrand • Leaf Blower • Magnet Sphere • Nettle Burst • North Pole • Paladin's Hammer • Piranha Gun • Possessed Hatchet • Proximity Mine Launcher • Pulse Bow • Pygmy Staff • Rainbow Gun • Raven Staff • Razorpine • Rocket Launcher • Scourge of the Corruptor • Shadowbeam Staff • Sniper Rifle • Snowman Cannon • Spectre Staff • Staff of Earth • Stake Launcher • Stynger • Staff of the Frost Hydra • The Horseman's Blade • Vampire Knives • Venus Magnum • Wasp Gun|
|Other Items||Temple Key • Biome Key Mold • Biome Key • Wisp in a Bottle|