|Knockback||1.5 (Extremely Weak)|
|Inflicts debuff||On Fire!|
|Debuff tooltip||Slowly losing life|
|Buy / Sell||7 / 1|
|Internal Item ID: 931 (Red), 1614 (Blue)|
|Use time||17 (Very Fast)|
|Internal Item ID: 930|
The Flare Gun is a ranged weapon that provides a ranged method of illuminating areas. It fires Flares and Blue Flares, which provide light and stick to the blocks they hit. They also deal minimal damage, and inflict the On Fire! debuff. The Flare Gun is found randomly in Gold Chests underground.
Flares travel in a slight arc and stick to blocks (similar to Sticky Glowsticks), but have greater velocity and range. They are waterproof, and can be fired into and out of water. Once fired, Flares emit low-level, flickering, tinted light (red or blue, depending on the type fired) that lasts for 10 minutes. They stick to the blocks they impacted and will function underwater. Flares cannot be recovered once they burn out.
When held, the muzzle of the Flare Gun will continually emit a flare effect, as long as one Flare is in the player's inventory.
The Flare Gun cannot obtain Modifiers.
Flares are used as ammunition for the Flare Gun. There are two variants that work identically, but do not stack together: Flares (red) and Blue Flares. They can be purchased from the Merchant while a Flare Gun is in the player's inventory, for 7 each. 25-50 Red Flares are also found in gold chests that contains a Flare Gun.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Flare Gun will equip when the player holds
- Similar to Glowsticks, Flares do not actually become placed as blocks, and are not saved with the world.
- The Flare Gun will not fulfill the spawn criteria for the Arms Dealer.
- The damage type of Flare Gun does not belong to any one, and will not be affected by any factors, including those for all types of damage(like Avenger Emblem or Wrath buff). However, the Flare and Blue Flare deal Ranged Damage.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- The Flare Gun's shots will pierce targets. Combined with the On Fire! debuff, it can prove very useful for fighting off pre-hardmode hordes, such as the Blood Moon, as well as keeping track of bosses and monsters in dark environments.
- The Flare Gun can be especially useful against the Brain of Cthulhu's Creeper minions and worm-like monsters and bosses like the Eater of Worlds.
- While mining downward, fire a Flare down on the ground and keep mining. The Flare will fall with you as you mine.
- Farming fishing bait is made trivial by shooting the ground under you with the Flare Gun while wearing Flower Boots and auto-swinging a Bug Net. Expect around 25-40+ Buggy drops per flare duration using this method. This method is significantly faster than using the Golden Bug Net and Flower Boots combination alone as the flare will break plants far faster than a swing of the Golden Bug Net (somewhere in the range of 10 to 1 rate difference it seems).
- If in danger or a tight spot, a player can use the Flare Gun and shoot it in the area of another player. Due to its high range it can shoot relatively far and can be used to signal other players for help when playing multiplayer. This is what real world Flare Guns are known for.
History[edit | edit source]
- 184.108.40.206: Added Blue Flare, the flare gun will no longer light up when the player has no Flares.
- 1.2: Introduced.