| PC-Only Content |
This information (or parts of it) applies only to the PC version of Terraria.
The Flare Gun is a weapon that shoots Flares and Blue Flares that deal a very small amount of damage and ignite enemies. The Flares are fired in a slight arc, stick to walls, similar to Sticky Bombs and Sticky Glowsticks, but have a much higher velocity / range and emit an orange light. The muzzle of the gun displays sparks and emits light similar to that of Flares. Flares can be fired into and out of water. They can be found in chests and bought from the Merchant for 7 copper while a Flare Gun is in the character's inventory. Blue flares are also available for purchase from the Merchant.
The Flare Gun can be found in Gold Chests.
- The Flare Gun does not need to be equipped, as when the player holds shift with the gun in their inventory, the gun is temporarily equipped. However, both the Flare Gun and Flares must be in your inventory for this to work.
- Similarly to Glowsticks, when placed they do not become blocks in the world like torches, and are not saved.
- Unlike most weapons, the Flare Gun cannot be Reforged by the Goblin Tinkerer. This may possibly be due to the fact that it doesn't have a damage type.
- The Flare Gun can be especially useful against the Brain of Cthulhu's first phase if used to ignite the eyes.
- To conserve Flares in the early-game the spark effect from the Gun can be used as a light source while the Flare Gun is equipped.
- If you go mining and need an automatic light source, simply shoot a flare down on the ground and keep mining. However, this does not work sideways, as the flares stick to blocks.