The Flare Gun is a ranged weapon that provides a ranged method of illuminating areas. It fires Flares and Blue Flares, which provide light and stick to the blocks they impact. They also deal minimal damage, and inflict the On Fire! debuff. The Flare Gun is found randomly in Gold Chests underground.
Flares travel in a slight arc and stick to blocks (similar to Sticky Bombs and Sticky Glowsticks), but have greater velocity and range. They can be fired into and out of water. When held, the muzzle of the Flare Gun will continually emit a flare effect, as long as one Flare is in the player's inventory.
Flare ammunition, along with the Blue version, can be purchased from the Merchant while a Flare Gun is in the player's inventory, for 7 each. Flares can also be found randomly in naturally-spawned chests.
The Flare Gun cannot obtain Modifiers.
- The Flare Gun will equip when the player holds shift with the Gun and at least one Flare in their inventory.
- Similar to Glowsticks, Flares do not actually become placed as blocks, and are not saved with the world.
- The Flare Gun will not fulfill the spawn criteria for the Arms Dealer.
- The Flare Gun can be especially useful against the Brain of Cthulhu's Creeper minions.
- While mining downward, fire a Flare down on the ground and keep mining. The Flare will fall with you as you mine.
The flare may not appear on Xbox multiplayer.
The flare may not appear in PS3 singleplayer but particle effect is still visible.
- 220.127.116.11: The flare gun will no longer light up when you are out of torches.
- 1.2: Introduced.