A Floating Island is a mass of isolated Forest land that is located generally well above the world's main land mass and can be found all the way up to Space. Each world will contain at least one Floating Island, up to a possible eight maximum in large worlds. Their location makes them susceptible to Harpies in pre-hardmode, Wyverns and Arch Wyverns ( ) in Hardmode. Being at such high altitude, players usually experience reduced gravity when navigating them.
Floating Islands are one of two natural floating masses that can generate in a Terraria world, the other being Floating Lakes. Both are similar in size and placement, and both rest atop Cloud and Rain Cloud blocks with background Cloud Walls.
- Floating Lakes consist of nothing more than a large body of water resting in Cloud and Rain Cloud blocks. There will generally be relatively few of these in a world.
- Floating Islands contain little to no water, and instead have Forest land resting in its Cloud blocks, along with a natural structure.
A Floating Island's structure is constructed from Sunplate Block, Disc Wall, and Glass Wall. It will always contain one Skyware Chest along with other random Skyware furniture. Each Skyware Chest contains either a Lucky Horseshoe, Starfury, Shiny Red Balloon, or Sky Mill, along with other typical Forest chest loot. Unique items are chosen at random, with the restriction that all four unique items must be spawned at least once before truly random unique items spawn on any remaining Islands.
|Map Size||Max Islands||Approximate Height|
|Small||4||250 - 600 ft. (125 - 300 tiles)|
|Medium||6||450 - 800 ft (225 - 400 tiles)|
|Large||8||650 - 1000 ft. (325 - 500 tiles)|
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Treasures||Unique Drops||For Sale|
From Skyware Chests:
From the structure:
From Arch Wyvern:
Floating Lake[edit | edit source]
A Floating Lake is a mass of isolated Cloud and Water found in the sky, generally well above the surface. Unlike floating islands, they do not have Sunplate Block structures, or any of their contents.
Floating Lakes consist of a large body of water atop Cloud and Rain Cloud blocks with background Cloud Walls. The body of water is usually quite large, making it viable for Fishing. Some fish exclusive to the elevation can be fished from these, like the Damselfish. Floating Lakes can rarely contain Water Chests.
Achievement(s)[edit | edit source]
|Is This Heaven? • "You have found a floating island!"|
|Discover your first Floating Island.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Floating Islands are randomly placed somewhere in the upper sixth of the map, but never within the center 160 lateral tiles. Verify
- Since the upper sixth of a small map is only 200 tiles high, Floating Islands and Floating Lakes can still occur in the center 160 lateral tiles.
- Floating Islands can be located using a long-range weapon with a ricocheting projectile, such as the water bolt. The projectile's return will signify a landmass above.
- Gravitation Potions make locating and accessing Floating Islands much easier.
- Floating Islands will catch Fallen Stars. Areas on the overworld in which Fallen Stars rarely or never fall may have a Floating Island above.
- Upon entering Hardmode, Floating Islands can become Corrupted or Hallowed if they fall within the path of the initial transformation.
- The cabins found on Floating Islands can become valid Houses for NPCs once a light source is added.
- Though meteors endeavor to avoid striking within 25 blocks of chests and NPCs, they may still sometimes impact Floating Islands.
- It is possible to locate floating islands by activating camera mode, taking a snapshot of the top of the world, and increasing the brightness of the snapshot with an image editor.
- Floating Lakes are not counted against the spawn limit for Floating Islands, eg. there can be 5 Floating Islands on a medium-sized world and still more than one Floating Lake in addition.
- It is possible to spawn on top of a floating island when creating a new world. While this can grant immediate access to very good items, it can make reaching the rest of the world impossible without bringing in items from another world, as unless a lucky horseshoe is in the sky chest or there is an easily reachable body of water below, there is no way to survive the fall to the ground. (One way around this is to build a staircase downward, go to the top of the staircase and mine to the bottom, and continue the staircase in the same manner until reaching Terraria firma).
- Not all worlds will provide all the unique treasures the Skyware Chest can offer, meaning that you may have to access at least one other world to get all the special loot.
- Sometimes sky islands generate over dungeons, making them easy to get to using wings or rocket boots, and a grappling hook.
- Using a gravity globe can also be helpful, as it gives you endless gravitation.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Floating Islands were originally made out of Dirt and Stone Blocks. The house was either made of Gold, Silver or Copper Bricks with a single Gold Chest inside, causing it to resemble a shrine. Grass vines hanging below the island could be used to locate it as projectiles would make noise when destroying them.
History[edit | edit source]
- 184.108.40.206: Sky Lakes introduced to make sky fishing easier.
- 1.2: Chests no longer require keys and islands have been revamped.
- 1.0.6: Gold Chests are now replaced with locked chests.
- 1.0.5: Common Chests are now replaced with Gold Chests.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Surface Layers||Forest • Desert • Ocean • Snow • Jungle • Mushroom • The Corruption • The Crimson • The Hallow • Space|
|Underground Layers||Underground • Cavern • Underground Snow • Underground Desert • Underground Jungle • Underground Mushroom • Underground Corruption • Underground Crimson • Underground Hallow • The Underworld|
|Special Biomes||Meteorite • Granite Cave • Marble Cave • Spider Nest • Bee Hive • Dungeon • Lihzahrd Temple|
|Other||Living Tree • Enchanted Sword Shrine • Floating Island • Underground Cabin • Chasm • Pyramid • Jungle Shrine • Living Mahogany Tree • Ruined House|