Sky cabins have a special brick called Sunplate Block as well as unique furniture. The cabins consist of a Disc Wall and Glass Wall background. They are found on top of both Cloud and Rain Cloud blocks.
|Enemies||Unique treasures||Unique drops||For Sale|
From Skyware Chests
Looted from Sky Cabins
From the terrain:
From Arch Wyvern
From the Painter:
Each Floating Island has one Skyware Chest. Each of these Chests contains exactly one of the items above. Unique items are chosen at random, with the restriction that all three unique items must be spawned at least once before the generator makes truly random unique items spawn on any remaining Floating Islands.
 Location and characteristics
|Map size||Max Islands||Approximate Island depth|
|Small||3||250 - 600 ft. (500 - 1,200 blocks)|
|Medium||5||450 - 800 ft (900 - 1,600 blocks)|
|Large||8||650 - 1000 ft. (1,300 - 2,000 blocks)|
Floating Islands are randomly placed somewhere in the upper sixth of the map, but cannot occur within the center 160 tiles of the map, laterally. The maximum number of Floating Islands is dependent on the map size. Because the algorithm attempts to place Floating Islands roughly in the top sixth of the map, map size changes the altitude range where they will occur.
Being at high altitude, players usually experience reduced gravity while navigating them.
The easiest method of finding floating islands is to use a map viewer, although most players may count this as cheating. This method will not work for multiplayer maps, where most players do not have external access to the world file.
From within the game:
- In small worlds, fire a long-range, ricocheting weapon up in the air, like Meteor Shot or a Water Bolt. If it bounces back a few seconds later, a Floating Island is probably above you. Firing a non-ricocheting weapon like the Musket with ordinary Musket Balls can also be useful, as the sound of cutting vines and/or hitting blocks may be heard on contact with a Floating Island.
- Likewise, in small or medium worlds, using wings lets you fly up high enough to see, if not the island itself, perhaps the vines or rain effects.
- Building a skybridge near the top of the world allows you to actually explore the sky area directly (although this can also prevent meteors from hitting the ground causing less meteorite to be obtained). If you have access to a gravitation potion, it can be used in a similar way.
- Creating a hardcore player and then killing yourself will allow you to fly around the sky as a ghost, allowing you to easily locate Floating Islands. The same world can then be entered again with another player.
- Strange Dirt and Dirt Wall formations at the surface, and/or surface Clay, Silver, or Gold, are good indications of Floating Islands above.
- Large areas that never seem to collect Fallen Stars are likely places where a Floating Island is located above.
- If the player has access to an Ice Rod and wings or rocket boots they can easily locate floating islands by flying and landing on blocks created by the rod, allowing them to stay in the sky as long as they like.
- If you find very small puddles of water, the water may be from a floating island. (Not very effective in wet areas like the Jungle or the Ocean)
Once you have located a sky island, an easy way to access it is to use vast quantities of rope. You can rapidly place the rope above you while you climb. Be sure to bring some protection from flying enemies when you reach the island, such as blocks you can quickly place around you as a shield until you can dig into the island. Rope can be found in vases and chests while exploring underground or purchased from the merchant.
- Another good way to find floating islands is to create a ladder 70 blocks high then work across left to right with a walkway and when you see trees that is how you know that one is there
- 1.2: Chests no longer require keys and islands have been revamped.
- 1.0.6: Gold Chests are now replaced with locked chests.
- 1.0.5: Common Chests are now replaced with Gold Chests.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Forests • Deserts • Ocean • Jungle • Snow • The Corruption • The Crimson • The Hallow • Rain • Mushroom Biome|
Underground • Cavern • The Underworld • Underground Jungle • Underground Snow • Underground Corruption • Underground Crimson • Underground Hallow
Dungeon • Meteorite • Floating Island • Living Tree • Spider Nest • Pyramid • Bee Hive • Lihzahrd
You can also find islands by building a walkway in the sky. Then backtrack and destroy it behind you. When you return to the ground, anywhere the ground is not strewn with blocks is where an island is.