A Floating Island is a mass of isolated Forest land found in the sky, generally well above the world's main land mass. Each world will contain at least one Floating Island, up to a possible eight maximum in large worlds. Their location makes them susceptible to Harpies in normal mode, Wyverns in Hardmode, and Arch Wyverns in the console and mobile version's Hardmode. Being at high altitude, players usually experience reduced gravity when navigating them.
Floating Islands consist of masses of ordinary surface blocks resting atop Cloud and Rain Cloud blocks with background Cloud Walls. In addition to the normal Floating Islands, Multiple Floating Lakes will also spawn, which are sufficiently large to fish in.
Each Skyware Chest contains either a Lucky Horseshoe, Starfury, Shiny Red Balloon, or Sky Mill, along with other typical Forest chest loot. Unique items are chosen at random, with the restriction that all three unique items must be spawned at least once before truly random unique items spawn on any remaining Islands.
|Map Size||Max Islands||Approximate Height|
|Small||3||500 - 1,200 ft. (250 - 600 blocks)|
|Medium||5||900 - 1,600 ft (450 - 800 blocks)|
|Large||8||1,300 - 2,000 ft. (650 - 1000 blocks)|
Contents[edit | edit source]
|Characters||Unique Treasures||Unique Drops||For Sale|
From Skyware Chests:
From the structure:
From Arch Wyvern:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Floating Islands can now spawn as "Floating Lakes", which do not have a building and are filled with a large mass of water.
- It is possible for an island to spawn without a skyware building on them though this is extremely rare and even if someone's world has an island they might not find it.
- Floating Islands are randomly placed somewhere in the upper sixth of the map, but very rarely occur within the center 160 lateral tiles. They also don't seem to spawn above oceans.
- Floating Islands can be located using a long-range weapon with a ricocheting projectile. The projectile's return will signify a landmass above.
- Gravitation Potions make locating and accessing Floating Islands much easier.
- Floating Islands will catch Fallen Stars. Areas on the overworld in which Fallen Stars rarely or never fall may have a Floating Island above.
- Upon entering Hardmode, Floating Islands can become Corrupted or Hallowed if they fall within the path of the initial transformation. See Hardmode for more information.
- The cabins found on Floating Islands contain a table and chair, and so are valid homes for NPCs once a light source is added.
- Though meteors endeavor to avoid striking within 25 blocks of chests and NPCs, they may still sometimes impact Floating Islands.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Floating Islands were originally made out of Dirt and Stone Blocks. The house was either made of Gold, Silver or Copper Bricks with a single Gold Chest inside, causing it to resemble a shrine. Grass vines hanging below the island could be used to locate it as projectiles would make noise when destroying them.
- It is possible for a natural world spawn to be on a floating island.
History[edit | edit source]
- 220.127.116.11: Sky Lakes introduced to make sky fishing easier.
- 1.2: Chests no longer require keys and islands have been revamped.
- 1.0.6: Gold Chests are now replaced with locked chests.
- 1.0.5: Common Chests are now replaced with Gold Chests.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Game mechanics|
|Attack Speed • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Music • NPC drops • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Storage • Use time • Value • Velocity|