A Floating Island is a mass of isolated Forest land found in the sky, generally well above the world's main land mass. Each world will contain at least one Floating Island, up to a possible eight maximum in large worlds. Their location makes them susceptible to Harpies in normal mode, Wyverns in Hardmode, and Arch Wyverns in the console and mobile version's Hardmode. Being at high altitude, players usually experience reduced gravity when navigating them.
Each Skyware Chest contains either a Lucky Horseshoe, Starfury, Shiny Red Balloon, or Sky Mill, along with other typical Forest chest loot. Unique items are chosen at random, with the restriction that all three unique items must be spawned at least once before truly random unique items spawn on any remaining Islands.
|Map Size||Max Islands||Approximate Height|
|Small||3||500 - 1,200 ft. (250 - 600 blocks)|
|Medium||5||900 - 1,600 ft (450 - 800 blocks)|
|Large||8||1,300 - 2,000 ft. (650 - 1000 blocks)|
|Characters||Unique Treasures||Unique Drops||For Sale|
From Skyware Chests:
From the structure:
From Arch Wyvern:
- In small worlds, fire a long-range, ricocheting weapon up in the air, like Meteor Shot, a Water Bolt, or in late-game, the Pulse Bow. If it bounces back a few seconds later, a Floating Island is probably above you. Firing a non-ricocheting weapon like the Musket with ordinary Musket Balls can also be useful, as the impact sound may be heard on contact with a Floating Island.
- Building a skybridge near the top of the world allows you to actually explore the sky area directly (although this can also prevent meteors from hitting the ground, causing less meteorite to generate).
- Gravitation Potion will allow you to explore the sky area. Combine with Featherfall Potion to prevent fall damage, and Hermes Boots to allow you to explore more area before the potions wear off. This combination allows a player to explore half a medium world, so 2 of each may be needed for an entire medium world. A large world would require 3-4 of each.
- Building a one block-thick column can be used to climb straight up using a Grappling Hook. Building these once every screen width will allow the player to completely explore the sky.
- Creating a hardcore player and then killing yourself will allow you to fly around the sky as a ghost, allowing you to easily locate Floating Islands. The same world can then be entered again with another character.
- Strange Dirt and Dirt Wall formations at the surface, and/or surface Ores, are good indications of Floating Islands above.
- Wide surface areas that never seem to collect Fallen Stars are likely places where a Floating Island is located above.
- Once you have located an Island, an easy way to access it is to use Rope. You can rapidly place the rope above you while you climb.
- A simple way to find additional Floating Islands before building a Skybridge to travel to it is to stand on the edge of a previously-found Island and shoot a ricocheting weapon horizontally. This is not a definite 'yes or no' method, though, because the height of another Floating Island might differ from yours, so it's possible that you will miss. Try this method at various heights (Note: Slow-speed ricochet weapons such as the Water Bolt will take a very long time to travel to the other island and back, and some weapons may not have a far enough travel distance. A Meteor Shot-firing gun will work fine).
- Floating Islands are randomly placed somewhere in the upper sixth of the map, but very rarely occur within the center 160 lateral tiles. They also don't seem to spawn above oceans.
- Floating Islands seem to spawn often directly above the dungeon, which can then be located with a waterbolt, but this is not confimed.
- Upon entering Hardmode, Floating Islands can become Corrupted or Hallowed if they fall within the path of the initial transformation. See Hardmode for more information.
- The cabin may be used as a home if a light source is added. This allows NPCs to live on Floating Islands.
- They may be struck by meteorites, though the chance of this happening is small. When it occurs the meteorite will usually damage or destroy the cabin.
- Floating Islands were originally made out of Dirt and Stone Blocks. The house was either made of Gold, Silver or Copper Bricks with a single Gold Chest inside, causing it to resemble a shrine. Grass vines hanging below the island could be used to locate it as projectiles would make noise when destroying them.
- Floating Islands can also spawn as corruption/crimson if above one.
- 1.2: Chests no longer require keys and islands have been revamped.
- 1.0.6: Gold Chests are now replaced with locked chests.
- 1.0.5: Common Chests are now replaced with Gold Chests.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Game mechanics|
|Attack Speed • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Music • NPC drops • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Storage • Use time • Value • Velocity|