"The Frost Legion has arrived!"
The Frost Legion is a Hardmode event during which unique Snowman enemies spawn and swarm a player's spawn point, similar to the Goblin Army (though much harder). It is summoned using the Snow Globe, and rewards the player with the Santa Claus NPC.
Summoning[edit | edit source]
|Progress bar icon|
- The Frost Legion must be summoned using the Snow Globe. It is acquired from Presents obtained during the Christmas seasonal event (December 15th-31st). Presents must be opened specifically in a Hardmode world to get a Snow Globe.
- Unlike the Goblin Army, the Frost Legion can only be summoned by the player, using the Snow Globe. The Legion will never invade on its own.
- It is not necessary for the Christmas seasonal event to be active for the Frost legion to be summoned (it is only needed to acquire Presents).
- It is not necessary for Hardmode to be active for the Frost legion to be summoned, or for the Santa Claus NPC to move in (it is only needed to obtain Snow Globes)
- Because the Frost Legion enemies are intended for Hardmode armor and weapons, it is not advisable for those without such gear to summon a Frost Legion.
Initial event[edit | edit source]
When summoned, a message will appear: The Frost Legion is approaching from the [east/west]!
The direction specified in this message only pertains to the initial wave of Snowmen, which spawns at the World's edge and travels to the player's original spawn point. Additional waves spawn immediately within the player's original spawn area. If the message says "West", the Snowmen will come from the left. If the message says "East", they'll arrive from the right. Note that these directions are not related to the apparent motion of the Sun and the Moon, which, in Terraria, appear to move from left ("West") to right ("East").
When the Frost Legion is about to begin spawning around the player's spawn point, the following message appears: The Frost Legion has arrived! and the theme music will switch to the "Boss 3" theme.
Completing the event[edit | edit source]
- The event is completed when all the Snowmen in the legion are defeated. There will be 80 Snowmen, plus an additional 40 for each player that has a maximum health of 200 or more. In single player, the army will consist of 120 Snowmen, while in an 8-player game, with each player having 200 HP or more, it will spawn 400 Snowmen. With the maximum of 255 players above 200 health, the maximum number of snowmen in an invasion is 10,280.
- When the final wave of Snowmen is on the screen, a message will appear saying, The Frost Legion has been defeated!, and the theme music will return to normal.
- Once defeated, the Santa Claus NPC will be available and will move into an empty home, but will only be present from December 15th-31st.
- Whenever you defeat the Frost Legion for the first time, the Clothier will sell the Balla Hat and the Gangsta Hat.
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Do You Want to Slay a Snowman|
|Triumph over the frost legion, a festive family of maniacal snowman mobsters.|
Contents[edit | edit source]
From all enemies:
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Snowmen override the current biome's enemies in the same way as Meteor Heads and the Goblin Army.
- The invasion will not prevent most other events, so you may end up fighting the Frost Legion and a boss at the same time. A Blood Moon may occur during a Frost Legion event, but will only cause other enemies to spawn after the Frost Legion has been defeated.
- If you happen to be on the Ocean floor when a Frost Legion is approaching, the initial wave of Snowmen will spawn underwater. Additional waves will only spawn when you return to the world spawn point.
- Snowmen will not break down doors, unlike the Goblins from the Goblin Army which do.
- The Frost Legion does not leave if you exit the world and come back; they will stay until defeated.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- As in other invasions, if you're far enough underground, the snowmen won't spawn, even after getting the message that they've arrived. This means you don't have to head back to your house immediately upon receiving a message of an imminent attack. However, the invasion will remain and the snowmen will appear if you surface.
- The Snowmen are incapable of jumping down from simple platforms.
- The Frost Legion tends to leave placed Snow Blocks everywhere. You may wish to fight them some distance from your base, to avoid having to "clean up" afterward.
- The Snowmen are considered as cold themed enemies, so a Warmth Potion would be very helpful.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A fourth Snowman sprite is seen within the game resources with dynamite lodged in its head. It is not used in the game, likely for the damage to blocks that it would cause. It might also not be included because it might demolish or trap its own allies.
- The changelog of 1.2 stated that the Frost Legion is back, now with another member, so this might have been planned to be added again.
- The Achievement "Do you want to slay a snowman" is a joke on the famous song "Do you want to build a snowman" from the Disney movie Frozen.
- Despite being made of snow they are immune to the On Fire! and Cursed Inferno debuffs.
History[edit | edit source]
- Mobile 1.2.10061: Santa now requires the Frost Legion to be defeated before he'll spawn.
- 220.127.116.11: Added Mister Stabby Banner, Snow Balla Banner, and Snowman Gangsta Banner.
- 1.1.1: Introduced.
|Random Events||Rain • Slime Rain • Blood Moon • Solar Eclipse|
|Summoned Events||Goblin Army • Frost Legion • Pirate Invasion • Solar Eclipse • Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon • Martian Madness • Lunar Events • Party|
|Seasonal Events||Chinese New Year • Valentine's Day • St. Patrick's Day • Easter • Oktoberfest • Thanksgiving • Halloween • Christmas|
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages|
|Interface||Minimap • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Mining speed • Pickaxe Power • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Rarity • Storage • Use time • Value|
|Game||Settings (desktop version) Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Death • Defense • Drowning • Fall damage • Ghost • Health • Health regeneration • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|