- See also: Guide:Frost Moon strategies
The Frost Moon is an endgame Christmas-themed event summoned with the Naughty Present at night, and ending at dawn (4:30 a.m.). It can be summoned any time of year, and does not require the actual Christmas season. During the event, unique and highly difficult enemies spawn at high rates and attack the player. It is similar to the Pumpkin Moon event, but more difficult. Visually, the moon turns into a snowman head, though remaining in its current phase. Unique music also plays.
The entire event consists of 15 waves, plus 5 "bonus waves". Waves progress as you reach certain kill scores (though kill scores are not displayed to the player before wave 20). After a wave's required score is met, the next wave begins, and the kill score is reset to 0. Chat messages will indicate when the wave has advanced, and which wave has been achieved. See the table below (Waves) for the points awarded for each enemy and the score required for each wave.
The Naughty Present that summons the Frost Moon requires materials only available in Hardmode worlds where the player has already defeated Plantera (though it can still be summoned in Pre-Hardmode worlds). As such, it is intended to present a challenge even to players with the best possible equipment. In the final waves, multiple boss-level enemies are fought at once.
Frost Moon enemies drop powerful weapons, as well as pet and vanity items. Most drop with extreme rarity, and even players who manage to complete the event will find they need to do so several times before obtaining them. Drop chances for items dropped by bosses increase as waves are completed. At wave 15 there is a 25% chance each Ice Queen, Santa-NK1 and Everscream killed will drop their respective trophies. This increases to 33% at Wave 17 and 50% at Wave 19.
Contents[edit | edit source]
From Zombie Elf:
From Ice Queen:
Waves[edit | edit source]
Points per kill[edit | edit source]
- Zombie Elf: 1
- Gingerbread Man 2
- Elf Archer: 3
- Nutcracker: 4
- Flocko: 5
- Elf Copter: 8
- Krampus: 10
- Present Mimic: 20
- Yeti: 18
- Everscream: 50
- Santa-NK1: 100
- Ice Queen: 150
Wave scores & enemies[edit | edit source]
- Total points required to reach Wave 15: 13555, Wave 20: 47130
Achievement[edit | edit source]
|Ice Scream • "Reach the 15th wave of a frost moon, where the festive season quickly degrades into madness."|
|Reach the 15th wave of a Frost Moon.|
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Water Candles, Battle Potions and Calming Potions have no effect during the invasion.
- If the player is killed during the event, the event is not cancelled. The player will keep re-spawning and can continue fighting its enemies as the event continues until dawn. In single-player games, exiting the world and reloading it will cancel the event.
- The Frost Moon does not stack with the Blood Moon. Summoning Frost Moon while Blood Moon is active will result in a regular Frost Moon.
- Spawn rates for areas where Frost Moon enemies cannot spawn are also increased. For example, many Sharks and Crabs will spawn in the Ocean, allowing the player to farm for Pirate Maps.
- The event can be triggered in pre-Hardmode worlds if its summoning item is brought there.
- Even though the monster's name is Elf Copter, the wave counter refers to it as the Elf Helicopter.
- Everscream, Santa-NK1 and Ice Queen can drop their trophies before wave 15 in Expert mode.
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: Fixed Invasion progress going negative in Frost Moon if you exceed ~32k points in multiplayer.
- 184.108.40.206: Added Elf Archer Banner, Elf Copter Banner, Flocko Banner, Gingerbread Man Banner, Krampus Banner, Nutcracker Banner, Present Mimic Banner, Yeti Banner, and Zombie Elf Banner.
- Made it slightly easier to advance in frostmoon waves.
- Made several frostmoon monsters shoot slower and do less damage.
- Pumpkin Moon and Frost Moon can now be started when using a Snowman pet.
- All waves in Frost Moon correctly use "Flocko" in the warning.
- Flocko & Elf Copter now both correctly run away at dawn.
- Fixed frost moon wave display text (Elf Zombie to Zombie Elf).
- 1.2.2: Introduced.
|Random Events||Rain • Slime Rain • Blood Moon • Sandstorm • Solar Eclipse|
|Summoned Events||Goblin Army • Frost Legion • Pirate Invasion • Solar Eclipse • Pumpkin Moon • Frost Moon • Martian Madness • Lunar Events • Party|
|Seasonal Events||Chinese New Year • Valentine's Day • St. Patrick's Day • Easter • Oktoberfest • Thanksgiving • Halloween • Christmas|
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Combat Targeting • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages|
|Interface||Minimap • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Mining speed • Pickaxe Power • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Rarity • Storage • Use time • Value|
|Game||Settings (desktop version) Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Death • Defense • Drowning • Fall damage • Ghost • Health • Health regeneration • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|