From Terraria Wiki
The default controls are listed below. These can be changed from the Controls menu in Settings on the Title Screen.
PC / Console Edition
|PC / PS / XBox Control||Wiki Icon||Action||Notes|
|Left click / R1 / RT||⚒ Use / Attack||Use held item||Attack using held weapon, consume held potion, summon using held mount/minion summon item, etc.|
|Right click / O / B||⚷ Open / Activate||Activate environment object||Open a door or chest, activate switch, talk to NPC, etc. To right click on a mac without a right click button you need to put two fingers on the trackpad before you click to make the same effect as a right click.|
|T / □ / X||T||Throw (discard)||Discards the currently selected item onto the ground as a dropped item, which can then be collected by any player. Does not inflict throwing damage. You can also throw items by opening the inventory, picking the item you want to throw away and right-clicking outside the inventory. Note that throwing throws the whole stack of items, except for torches, where only one torch will be thrown.|
|Esc / △ / Y||Esc||Inventory||Opens the expanded head-up display, including inventory, crafting interface, Save and Quit (singleplayer) or Disconnect (multiplayer) controls. If autopause is enabled, the game will pause (not currently available on console). Press Start on Xbox or PS3 to pause the game (this won't open your inventory).|
|A / Left thumbstick left||◀ Left||Left||Moves your character to the left. Hold the key down for continuous movement.|
|D / Left thumbstick right||▶ Right||Right||Moves your character to the right. Hold the key down for continuous movement.|
|S / Left thumbstick down||▼ Down||Down|
|W / Left thumbstick up||▲ Up||Up|
|Space / X / A||↷ Jump||Jump||
|0-9 / L2+R2 / LT+RT||0-9||Hotbar Hotkey||Selects an item from the hotbar (1 being the leftmost, and 0 being the rightmost). The hotbar is the uppermost row of the inventory, i.e. the top 10 slots. (The item is merely selected; to actually use it click the left mouse button after making a selection.)|
|F7||F7||Toggle Debug||Shows debug info.|
|F8||F8||Toggle RxTx||Shows multiplayer connectivity debug info. In singleplayer, all values are 0 and do not change.|
|F9||F9||Lighting setting.||Cycles through the 4 lighting settings: Color, White, Retro and Trippy, in that order.|
|F10||F10||Toggle FPS||Shows your frames per second.|
|F11||F11||Toggle HUD||Toggles the HUD.|
|Enter||↵ Enter||Chat||Opens the chat box (multiplayer only).|
|H||H||Quick Heal||Consumes the healing item with the highest "power" that is first in your inventory, starting from the top left and going down and to the right.|
|J||J||Quick Mana Heal||
|M / Select / Back||M||Full-Screen Map||The M key, by default, brings up a full-screen map. This can be zoomed in and out with the keyboard just as the minimap can, or with the mouse wheel, and it can be scrolled using the directional keys or by dragging it with the mouse. The full-screen map can be dismissed by clicking the icon at the bottom left corner, or by pressing M or the inventory key again. On Console, it will also show all players and let you select your team.|
|E / L1 / LT||⛲ Grapple||Grapple||Activates/launches the first Hook in your inventory.|
|Shift||⇧ Shift||Auto Select||When held, it will try to select the appropriate tool to interact with the object under the cursor. A light source will be selected if nothing else applies.|
|Tab||Tab ↹||Minimap||Tab toggles the minimap between the three modes: portrait, overlay, and hidden. See Map for more details.|
|Ctrl / R3 / Press down right thumbstick||ctrl||Smart Cursor||Turns Smart Cursor on and off. When on, it will automatically target tiles depending your current tool, to semi-automate tasks such as tunneling, logging and building bridges.|
|D-Pad||n/a||Use bound item||Items can be bound to the D-pad by opening the inventory, selecting an item and pressing a direction on the D-pad. That item can then be equipped in the hotbar immediately by pressing that direction on the D-pad during gameplay (Console only).|
- To remove one item from a stack, right click on it. Hold down the right mouse button to increase the number of items to be removed from the stack.
- To place objects directly from your inventory, left click to select the item, then left click to place it or right click to discard it.
- To place objects directly from your inventory into the Trash Can hold shift down while clicking the item. This can be used to quickly free up space in your inventory.
- To interact with an NPC or read a sign, approach close enough that a speech bubble appears on the target when you move the mouse cursor to it. Then click the right mouse button.
- When buying items from an NPC, hold down the right mouse button to increase the number of items purchased.
- Right-clicking on a piece of equipment, including one located in a Social slot, will swap it with its corresponding Armor or Accessory slot.
- When crafting, hold down the right mouse button to rapidly craft a number of items (the speed increases as long as you hold down the button).
- To interact with openable items, torches, water candle or waterbolt spell in dungeon, right click on it.
- Terraria for iOS and Android had PlayStation 3 controller support in earlier versions, but this was scrapped in a later update.
|Single Tap||Perform an Action||
|Tap and Hold||Constant Action||
|Tap Hotbar||Hotbar Control||
|Drag Item From Hotbar||Throw||
|Tap "..." on Hotbar||Open Inventory||
|Tap pause button in top-right||Settings||
|Left thumbstick left/right||Left/Right||
|Left Thumbstick down||Down|
|Left Thumbstick up||Up||
|Flick Left Thumbstick up||Up (Alt)|
|Move Right Thumbstick||Quick-Action||
|Tap Right Thumbstick||Auto-Attack||
|Swipe From Character||Quick-Grapple||
|Pinch Screen Outwards||Zoom out||
|Pinch Screen Inwards||Zoom in||
|Touch and Drag||Control Map|
Inventory / Storage Tab
- Tap an drag an item to move it, or switch its position with another.
- Drag the inventory screen up or down to see more of the inventory.
- Selecting an item and tapping the "Split Stack" button (the button with stacked coins) will take one item and place it in a new stack. If a new stack has been recently created, the item will be added to that one instead.
- Selecting armor or an accessory and tapping the Equip button (labeled with a helmet and a player's head) will automatically equip it in an armor or accessory slot. If the respective armor slot is full, it will be equipped in the vanity slot. Dragging an item to the Equipment tab and releasing will equip it in the same manner.
- Selecting an item the Storage tab Tapping the Take button will add it to your inventory. Dragging an item to the Inventory tab and releasing will take it in the same manner.
- Holding an item over a tab for a while will switch to that tab.
- Any equipable item will automatically be equipped when crafted, bought, picked up, or when the Take button is pressed in the Storage tab.
- Selecting an item and tapping the Unequip button (labeled with a helmet and a player's head) will unequip it and place it in the Inventory
- Tap a recipe and tap Craft to craft one of the item.
- Tap and hold Craft to craft multiple items (the speed increases as you hold the button)
NPC Shop Tab
- Selecting an item and tapping Buy will buy the item if you have enough money.
- Hitting Sell in the Inventory tab, or simply dragging an item to the Shop tab will sell it.
- The Goblin Tinkerer has an additional spot above the shop. Dragging an item here and selecting Reforge will reforge it.
- 1.2.3: Added support for Ctrl+Z, X, C, and V (clear line, cut line, copy line, and paste into line respectively). Added support for Shift+Insert, Shift+Delete, Ctrl+Insert (paste, cut, and copy respectively).
- Added map control.
- Keybindings will no longer sometimes be set to "None" automatically.
- Items Pulsate when hold on the mouse cursor so they stand out against other items on the UI.
- Items move freely and rotate when falling after being dropped or thrown.
- F7 shows game debug information.
- F8 shows connectivity debug information.
- F9 changes lighting setting.
- Added 'Auto Select' hotkey.
- Added ability to place items directly from open inventory.
- Added hotkeys for quickly drinking healing, mana, and buff potions. The healing/mana potion you use is based on the same principle arrows are. Topleft most item first. The buff potions are all used at once.
|Ambient objects • Attack Speed • Autoswing • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Event • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Mining Speed • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Multiplayer • Music • NPC drops • NPC Despawning • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Status messages • Storage • Title messages • Use time • Value • Velocity|