Gems are valuable materials that can be found in veins underground, embedded in Stone blocks or on the sides of Stone blocks, which will drop the gem when mined. Gems can be placed on any side of blocks after being mined.
Gems can also be found in higher concentrations in rare Gemstone Caves, which can contain multiple Gem types lining their blocks, and have their own unique background wall that cannot be collected or used by players.
Gem rarity is not affected by depth; you will find as many gems near the surface as right above the Underworld. However, gems are far more common in the Underground Jungle. Some gems are less common than others; refer to the list below for each gem's rarity, in descending order.
In descending order of rarity and value (rarest at the top):
- *Amber is not mined. It can only be obtained from an Extractinator.
- 15 of any Gem may be crafted into a colored Grappling Hook at an Anvil. This is an alternative to looking for the hooks that Grappling Hooks otherwise require.
- Each Gem can be crafted into a Gem staff magic weapon.
- Each Gem can craft Gemspark Blocks of a corresponding color.
- Each except for Amber can craft a Phaseblade of matching color. Every color has identical attributes.
- Each can be combined with torches to create colored torches.
- Topaz can also be used to craft the Sandgun.
- Rubies or Diamonds can be used for the Gold Crown.
- Gems can be imbued into robes for early-game armor.
- Each Gem can craft a Large Gem for use in "Capture the Gem" PvP games.
- 1.2.3: Can now be crafted into Gemspark Blocks.
- Amber introduced.
- Appearance changed.
- Can now be found as crystals on cave walls and in Gemstone caves.
- Can now be used to craft Gem Grappling hooks.
- Stack limit increased from 99 to 999.
- 1.1: Can now be used to craft colored torches.