| Max stack
A Gemstone Cave, where higher concentrations of Gems can be found.
Gems are valuable materials that can be found in veins underground, embedded in Stone blocks or on the sides of Stone blocks, either in placed form or as a rock with gems sticking out, which will drop the gem when mined. Gems can be placed on any side of blocks after being mined.
Gems can also be found in higher concentrations in rare Gemstone Caves, which can contain multiple Gem types lining their blocks, and have their own unique background wall that cannot be collected or used by players.
Gems are rarely found on wood in Underground Cabins as well.
Gem rarity is not affected by depth; you will find as many gems near the surface (note that caves with dirt walls will not hold any) as right above the Underworld. However, gems are far more common in the Underground Jungle. Some gems are less common than others; refer to the list below for each gem's rarity, in descending order.
In descending order of rarity and value (rarest at the top):
- *Amber is not mined. It can only be obtained from an Extractinator.
Gems can be sold to NPCs as a good pre-Hardmode source of coins. Additionally:
- 15 of any Gem may be crafted into a colored Hook at an Anvil.
- Each Gem can be crafted into a Gem staff (magic weapon) with the exception of Amber.
- Each Gem can craft Gemspark Blocks of a corresponding color.
- Each Gem, except for Amber, can craft a Phaseblade of matching color. Every color has identical attributes.
- Each can be combined with torches to create colored torches.
- Topaz can be used to craft the Sandgun.
- Rubies can be used for the Gold Crown.
- Gems, with the exception of amber, can be imbued into robes.
- Each Gem can craft a Large Gem for use in "Capture the Gem" PvP games.
- 1.2.3: Can now be crafted into Gemspark Blocks.
- Amber introduced.
- Appearance changed.
- Can now be found as crystals on cave walls and in Gemstone caves.
- Can now be used to craft Gem Grappling hooks.
- Stack limit increased from 99 to 999.
- Can now be placed.
- 1.1: Can now be used to craft colored torches.