Gems are valuable materials that can be found in veins underground, embedded in Stone blocks or in clusters on the sides of Stone blocks, which will drop the gem when mined. All gems can be placed after being mined.
Gem rarity is not affected by depth; you will find as many gems near the surface as right above the Underworld. However, gems are far more common in the Underground Jungle. Some gems are less common than others; refer to the list below for each gem's rarity, in descending order.
- 15 of any Gem may be crafted into a colored Grappling Hook at an Anvil. This is an alternative to looking for the hooks that Gappling Hooks otherwise require.
- Each Gem can be crafted into a Gem staff magic weapon.
- Each Gem can craft Gemspark Blocks of a corresponding color.
- Each except for Amber can craft a Phaseblade of matching color. Every color has identical attributes.
- Each can be combined with torches to create colored torches.
- Topaz can also be used to craft the Sandgun.
- Rubies or Diamonds can be used for the Gold Crown.
- Gems can be imbued into robes for early-game armor.
- Each Gem can craft a Large Gem for use in "Capture the Gem" PvP games.
 Gemstone Cave
Gemstone Cave are small caves in which great quantities of gems are found. It is filled with up to 4 different types of gems, although sometimes it's only filled with one type of gem. It also features a unique background (a gemstone wall) that is speckled with gems of the same color found in the Gemstone Cave. The gemstone wall is destroyed if you try to claim it with the hammer and cannot be mined.
In descending order of rarity and value (rarest at the top):
- Can now be turned into gemspark block.
- Amber introduced.
- Appearance changed.
- Can now be found as crystals on cave walls and in Gemstone caves.
- Can now be used to craft Gem Grappling hooks.
- Stack limit increased from 99 to 999.
- 1.1: Can now be used to craft colored torches.
|Amber • Amethyst • Topaz • Sapphire • Emerald • Ruby • Diamond|