Gems are valuable crafting materials found underground. There are currently 7 Gem types. Gems can also be placed on any side of a block after being mined. They are found in any Underground layer, except for the Underworld.
- Embedded within Stone blocks.
- In placed form on blocks underground, including sometimes in Underground Cabins, or rarely in the Dungeon.
- As gem stashes, which are breakable background objects (similar to Coin Stashes), each resembling a rock with gems protruding.
Gems can also be found in higher concentrations in rare Gemstone Caves, which can contain multiple Gem types lining and embedded within their stone blocks.
Types[edit | edit source]
In descending order of rarity and value (rarest at the top):
Internal Item ID: 999
Internal Item ID: 182
Internal Item ID: 178
Internal Item ID: 179
Internal Item ID: 177
Internal Item ID: 180
Internal Item ID: 181
- Amber can not be mined naturally. It can only be obtained from an Extractinator. It can only appear in placed form when placed manually by players, and is never found placed naturally.
Uses[edit | edit source]
- can craft Gemspark Blocks of a corresponding color.
- can be combined with torches to create colored torches.
- can be crafted into a gem staff (magic weapon).
- can be crafted into Large Gems for the PvP game Capture the Gem.
- can be crafted into Gem Locks, containers or altars for Large Gems.
All gems except Amber:
- may be crafted into a colored Hook at an Anvil.
- can craft a Phaseblade of matching color. Every color has identical attributes.
- can be imbued into Robes.
All gems except Amber or Diamond:
- can craft Stained Glass.
- Topaz can be used to craft the Sandgun.
- Rubies can be used for the crafting of the Gold Crown and Platinum Crown.
- Amber can be used to craft Crate Potions.
Gemstone cave[edit | edit source]
A Gemstone cave is a rare, irregularly shaped room often found in the Cavern layer. They contain a high concentration of placed gems on multiple stone surfaces, as well as a few gems embedded in stone. Most gemstone caves contain one or two types of gemstone, but can rarely contain three or more types. The type of gem found in such caves is easily identifiable by the Gem Wall the cave utilizes, but this wall cannot be collected to obtain any items.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Making Stained Glass is the most profitable way to sell gems. (Except on mobile where it's less valuable.)
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Caves with Dirt background walls are considered to be within the Surface layer and will not contain Gems.
- Gem rarity is not affected by depth; you will find just as many Gems just below the Surface as you would near the Underworld.
- Gems are more common in the Underground Jungle.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- 220.127.116.11: Amber Staff can now be crafted.
- 1.2.3: Can now be crafted into Gemspark Blocks.
- Amber added (and the amber Orange Torch).
- Sprites changed.
- Can now be found as crystals on cave walls and in Gemstone caves.
- The original 6 gems can now be crafted into Large Gems, Gem Grappling hooks, and early-game magic robes and Gem Staffs.
- Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald, Topaz, and Amethyst can be crafted into Stained Glass.
- Stack limit increased from 99 to 999.
- Can now be placed.
- 1.1: Can now be used to craft colored torches.
- Pre-Release: Introduced Sapphire, Ruby, Emerald, Topaz, Amethyst, and Diamond.
- Can be crafted into colorful Phaseblades.
| Gems |
|Amethyst • Topaz • Sapphire • Emerald • Ruby • Diamond • Amber|
| Blocks ( Bricks) • Walls ( Brick Walls) Tiles: |