| Max stack
A Gemstone Cave, where higher concentrations of Gems can be found. Most of these Gems are protruding from Stone, while a few are embedded.
Gems are valuable crafting materials found underground. There are currently 7 Gem types. Gems can also be placed on any side of a block after being mined. They are found in any Underground layer, except for the Underworld.
With the exception of Amber (which requires an Extractinator instead), Gems are found in the following forms, all of which drop Gem items when mined:
- Embedded within Stone blocks
- Protruding from Stone blocks
- Protruding from Wood blocks, only in Underground Cabins
- Protruding from a special background item resembling a rock.
Gems can be found in higher concentrations in rare Gemstone Caves, which can contain multiple Gem types lining and embedded within their stone blocks. Gemstone Caves have their own unique background wall that cannot currently be collected or used by players.
In descending order of rarity and value (rarest at the top):
- *Amber is not mined. It can only be obtained from an Extractinator.
Gems can be sold to NPCs as a good pre-Hardmode source of coins. Additionally:
All gems except Amber:
- Caves with Dirt background walls are considered to be within the Surface layer and will not contain Gems.
- Gem rarity is not affected by depth; you will find just as many Gems just below the Surface as you would near the Underworld.
- Gems are more common in the Underground Jungle.
- 1.2.3: Can now be crafted into Gemspark Blocks.
- Amber introduced.
- Appearance changed.
- Can now be found as crystals on cave walls and in Gemstone caves.
- Can now be used to craft Gem Grappling hooks.
- Stack limit increased from 99 to 999.
- Can now be placed.
- 1.1: Can now be used to craft colored torches.