Gems are valuable crafting materials found underground. There are currently 7 Gem types. Gems can also be placed on any side of a block after being mined. They are found in any Underground layer, except for the Underworld.
- Embedded within Stone blocks.
- In placed form on blocks underground, including sometimes in Underground Cabins, or rarely in the Dungeon.
- As gem stashes, which are breakable background objects (similar to Coin Stashes), each resembling a rock with gems protruding.
Gems can also be found in higher concentrations in rare Gemstone Caves, which can contain multiple Gem types lining and embedded within their stone blocks. Gemstone Caves have their own unique background wall that cannot currently be collected or used by players.
Types[edit | edit source]
In descending order of rarity and value (rarest at the top):
Internal Item ID: 999
Internal Item ID: 182
Internal Item ID: 178
Internal Item ID: 179
Internal Item ID: 177
Internal Item ID: 180
Internal Item ID: 181
- *Amber is not mined. It can only be obtained from an Extractinator. It can only appear in placed form when placed manually by players, and is never found placed naturally.
Uses[edit | edit source]
- can craft Gemspark Blocks of a corresponding color.
- can be combined with torches to create colored torches.
- can be crafted into a gem staff (magic weapon).
All gems except Amber:
- may be crafted into a colored Hook at an Anvil.
- can craft a Phaseblade of matching color. Every color has identical attributes.
- can be imbued into Robes.
- can craft Stained Glass.
- can craft a Large Gem for use in "Capture the Gem" PvP games.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Making Stained Glass is the most profitable way to sell gems. (Except on mobile where it's less valuable.)
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Caves with Dirt background walls are considered to be within the Surface layer and will not contain Gems.
- Gem rarity is not affected by depth; you will find just as many Gems just below the Surface as you would near the Underworld.
- Gems are more common in the Underground Jungle.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
History[edit | edit source]
- 1.2.3: Can now be crafted into Gemspark Blocks.
- Amber introduced.
- Appearance changed.
- Can now be found as crystals on cave walls and in Gemstone caves.
- Can now be used to craft Gem Grappling hooks.
- Stack limit increased from 99 to 999.
- Can now be placed.
- 1.1: Can now be used to craft colored torches.
| Gems |
|Amethyst • Topaz • Sapphire • Emerald • Ruby • Diamond • Amber|
| Blocks ( Bricks) • Walls ( Brick Walls) Tiles: |