|| 4 wide ˣ 2 high
| Max stack
| Use time
All placed beds, in left- and right-facing orientations, in Tile ID
The Bed is a Comfort item that allows a player to set a new Spawn point. Once a bed has been placed, it must be right-clicked to activate. Several criteria must be met for the room where the bed is placed in order for the spawn point to set. If the criteria have been met successfully, right-clicking the bed will cause a message to be displayed in the bottom-left corner of the screen: "Spawn point set!".
If the bed is removed, or if the criteria for the bed to function properly are no longer met, your spawn point will revert to the world default. If the bed is removed and replaced in the same location it will still act as the spawn point as long as it still meets the criteria mentioned.
There are currently 17 craftable beds and 5 that can be acquired from the environment. They are functionally identical, and differ only in appearance.
For a bed to function properly and allow you to set your spawn point, the following criteria must be met:
- The bed must have enough space. The room doesn't have to be any specific shape but the area of the room (including the walls, ceiling and floor) must equal at least 60 tiles but less than 750.
- Enemies must not be able to spawn in the room; The room must have player-placed walls behind it. Holes in the background wall must be no larger than 4 tiles wide or 4 high. (For example, a room that is 9 wide and 4 high split with a background wall down the center is usable as a bedroom).
- The background walls can not be a naturally-occurring wall. This includes dirt, mud and the background walls in Chasms and the Dungeon.
- Player-placed dirt walls will work.
- Wood platforms can be used as the room's floor or ceiling.
- A bed may be placed in a non-rectangular room, as long as the leftmost 3 blocks immediately above it are left clear. For instance, you may have a bed (2x4) surrounded by walls on the left, right and bottom sides, and the foot of the bed have one block on top of it, and as long as there is space for the player to spawn at the bed (3 high), the bed can be set as a spawn point. See the ASCII image below.
- Must have a door as well.
▓ = brick ░ = free spot | = bed post - = bed surface
This is valid placement of the bed, as the top left 3 spaces just above the bed area clear.
The mirror image of this is also valid.
- It can be placed underground, as long as the other conditions are met.
If the requirements are met, right clicking the bed should set your spawn and show the message "Spawn point set!".
- Note the bed will work underwater as long as the other conditions are met.
 Looted Beds
- Of the five looted beds, the three Dungeon Beds can be found in the Dungeon of the respective color, the Obsidian Bed can be found in the Underworld, and the Golden Bed is dropped during the Pirate Invasion.