The Goblin Tinkerer is an NPC that sells several unique items and provides the Reforge function. He can be acquired after a Goblin Army has been defeated, spawning randomly in open areas in the Cavern layer. He will appear to be bound at first, and like the Mechanic, Wizard and Stylist talking to him in this state will free him. He will then respawn as long as a vacant House is available.
Once the Goblin Tinkerer has been freed, he will sell the following:
|Rocket Boots||5||Always available.|
|Tinkerer's Workshop||10||Always available.|
|Grappling Hook||2||Always available.|
|Spiky Ball||80||Always available.|
The tinkerer may have any of the following names:
- Using a Hunter Potion will cause the bound goblin to light up, making him easier to find.
- He spawns in an area near the player. Therefore, spending hours clearing the map and searching every tunnel is unnecessary.
- If you did find him at one point but managed to lose him for whatever reason, you can use a King Statue to summon him.
- As with any NPC, his icon appears on the map.
- As evidenced by some of his quotes, the Goblin Tinkerer has a crush on the Mechanic, and, referenced by some of her quotes, she has a crush on him too.
- The quote, "Yo, I heard you like rockets and running boots, so I put some rockets in your running boots," is a reference to Spectre Boots as "rockets" means Rocket boots and "running boots" means Hermes boots. This line is also a reference to the popular internet meme of Xzibit from 'Pimp my Ride'.
- The name Dalek appears to be a reference to Doctor Who.
- The name Gnudar appears to be a reference to Futurama. In the movie, "Bender's Big Score", Planet Express is scammed into new ownership by pink goblin-looking nudist aliens, whose leader's name is Nudar.
- The Goblin Tinkerer says that goblins could start a war over cloth, thus referring to the Goblin Battle Standard as it is made out of cloth, and summons the Goblin Army
- Strangely, according to one of his quotes, he states that "his POCKETS hurt", when it should read something along the lines of "my legs hurt".
- "Hey... what's [Name of Mechanic] up to? Have you... have you talked to her, by chance?" (only when the Mechanic is present)
- "I tried to visit [Name of Stylist] one time. She just looked at me and said 'nope.' (only when the Stylist is present)
- "Goblins are very easy to anger. In fact, they'd start a war over cloth!" (references use of Tattered Cloth to summon a Goblin Army)
- "To be honest, most goblins aren't exactly rocket scientists. Well, some are." (references the Rocket Boots he sells)
- "Do you know why we all carry around these spiked balls? Because I don't." (references Goblin Armies dropping Spiky Balls)
- "I just finished my newest creation! This version doesn't explode violently if you breathe on it too hard."
- "Goblin Thieves aren't very good at their job. They can't even steal from an unlocked chest!" (references the Goblin Thiefs in Goblin Invasions that do not actually steal anything)
- "Hey, does your hat need a motor? I think I have a motor that would fit exactly in that hat." (references the flying hat from Doraemon)
- "YES, gold is stronger than iron. What are they teaching these humans nowadays?" (references the fact that Gold in Terraria is stronger than Iron, whereas in real life, gold is soft and malleable, not nearly as strong as iron.)
- "You know, that mining helmet-flipper combination was a much better idea on paper." (references the use of a Diving Helmet and Flipper in crafting a set of Diving Gear)
- "Yo, I heard you like rockets and running boots, so I put some rockets in your running boots." (Reference to Spectre Boots)
- "Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver."
- "I can't believe they tied me up and left me here just for pointing out that they weren't going east!" (referring to the Goblin Tinkerer initially appearing bound; and east/west and sunrise/sunset being inconsistent in Terraria, or the east/west reversal from their typical directions in real-world maps)
- "Now that I'm an outcast, can I throw away the spiked balls? My pockets hurt." (references Goblin Armies dropping Spiky Balls)
- "Looking for a gadgets expert? I'm your goblin!"
- "Thanks for your help. Now, I have to finish pacing around aimlessly here. I'm sure we'll meet again." (references the NPC behavior of walking back and forth for no reason)
- "I thought you'd be taller." (TV Trope: Expecting someone taller)
- "Thank you for freeing me, human. I was tied up and left here by the other goblins. You could say that we didn't get along very well."