- This article is about the tool class. For the crafting material, see Hook (crafting material).
Hooks are a class of tools that aid the player in traversing terrain. When used, a chain is fired that latches a surface and hoists the player towards it. A Hook becomes an essential tool, as it offers significant freedom from terrain height restrictions, and will often be the first major mobility aid a player acquires. Hooks are acquired in various ways depending on their type (see table below).
The Grapple hotkey (PC: E • Xbox 360: LT • PS3 / PS4: L1) activates the first Hook in the player's inventory (reading it from left→right, top→bottom), without requiring that the Hook be in the player's hotbar. On the mobile version, dragging quickly from the player outwards casts the Hook in the drag direction though this sometimes does not work.
Several higher-tier Hooks, like the Ivy Whip, allow the player to grapple multiple surfaces simultaneously. If the character grapples one surface, then fires the Hook a second time, another chain extends from the player without dislodging the first. Upon grappling a second surface, the player will be suspended in midair at a point midway between the two surfaces. This allows players more freedom during construction, or for negotiating hazardous areas, such as those above lava.
Hooks vary in their range, velocity, number of deployable hooks, and number of hooks that can remain latched simultaneously.
- All crafted Hooks are crafted at the Iron Anvil or Lead Anvil.
- Single Hooks dislodge immediately when firing again while already latched to a surface.
- Multi-Hooks without simultaneous latching (Fish Hook, Dual Hook) can fire a second chain, but will dislodge the first chain when the second latches a surface.
- A Multi-Hook can be fired again only after the previous chain latched a surface or fully retracted. The Dual Hook and Web Slinger are exceptions, and can be fired very rapidly — nearly as fast as the player can hit the button.
|Grappling Hook|| Crafted: Hook (crafting material) and 3 Chains
or purchased from Goblin Tinkerer (2 )
|Amethyst Hook||Crafted: 15 Amethysts||18 tiles||10||1||Single||40|
|Topaz Hook||Crafted: 15 Topaz||20 tiles||10.5||1||Single||40|
|Sapphire Hook||Crafted: 15 Sapphires||22 tiles||11||1||Single||40|
|Emerald Hook||Crafted: 15 Emeralds||24 tiles||11.5||1||Single||40|
|Ruby Hook||Crafted: 15 Ruby||26 tiles||12||1||Single||40|
|Diamond Hook||Crafted: 15 Diamonds||28 tiles||12.5||1||Single||40|
|Candy Cane Hook||Dropped randomly by Presents||25 tiles||11.5||1||Single||4|
|Bat Hook||Dropped randomly by Goodie Bags||32 tiles||15.5||1||Single||2|
|Skeletron Hand||Dropped randomly by Skeletron||22 tiles||15||2||Simultaneous||90|
|Fish Hook|| Random reward from the Angler
upon completing a quest
|Slime Hook||Dropped randomly by King Slimes||25 tiles||10||3||Simultaneous||40|
|Ivy Whip||Crafted: 3 Vines and 12 Jungle Spores||25 tiles||13||3||Simultaneous||40|
|Web Slinger||Looted from Web Covered Chests||16 tiles||10||8||Simultaneous||40||Can fire 8 times in rapid succession.|
|Dual Hook||Dropped randomly by Mimics||28 tiles||14||2||Individual||4||Glowing ends. Can fire 2 times in rapid succession.|
|Spooky Hook|| Dropped randomly by Mourning Wood
during the Pumpkin Moon event.
|Christmas Hook|| Dropped randomly by Everscream
during the Frost Moon event.
|35 tiles||15.5||3||Simultaneous||4||Glowing chain & ends.|
- Grappling a platform with only one hook will pull the player inside the platform, meaning that the player will always hit that platform with subsequent grapples. You must jump to dislodge the hook, and aim at other blocks.
- Hooks reset a character's flight time when Rocket Boots or Wings are equipped, even if the Hook is dislodged before reeling the player in.
- All Hooks can remain clung to a surface continuously for 10 minutes (10 hours in-game time) before they automatically disengage.
- Players can remove Hooks from their Inventory while clung to a surface and remain there until they jump, use another Hook, or automatically disengage, even though the Hook is no longer in their Inventory.
- When used via the hotbar, Multi-Hooks can be re-fired more rapidly, requiring only that the previous chain has fully extended first.
- There is an ingame short tutorial when you buy the grappling hook
- When sprinting accessories are equipped, the burst of speed provided by a Hook upon latching a surface can be used to accelerate a player to sprinting speed instantly.
- The Ice Rod can provide blocks to grapple while flying with Wings, repeatedly resetting flight time in midair.
- Characters that have hooked a block are immune to gravity and knockback. Grappling the ground in dangerous locations, such as near lava, can ensure you don't fall in when taking damage from an enemy.
- Players can also exploit immunity to gravity by "grappling the ground" to prevent fall damage.
- Simultaneous-latch multi-hooks are more useful for intricate maneuvers. When fast travel is preferred, individually-latching multi-hooks allow faster transit, since they immediately sling the player across gaps, rather than automatically suspending them midway first.
- Hooks that can be fired in rapid succession (Dual Hook, Web Slinger) provide more security during falls: In case the first firing fails to latch a surface, another chain can be fired immediately to try again.
- If a player grapples onto the middle of a door, and opens it while still grappled, the player will fly out with immense speed in the direction that he grapples onto the door with. When there are Frozen Slime Blocks on the other side of the door, this speed will be kept and can be used for very rapid transportation in a skybridge etc.
- The Fish Hook is a play on words, using the term for the real-life fishing tool for a grappling hook with the same appearance.
- The tooltip for the Grappling Hook, "Get over here!", is a reference to the Scorpion character's catch phrase in Mortal Kombat.
- 1.2.4: Introduced Fish Hook and Slime Hook.
- 1.2.2: Introduced Candy Cane Hook and Christmas Hook.
- 1.2.1: Introduced Bat Hook and Spooky Hook
- 1.2: Introduced Gem hooks, Web Slinger, Skeletron Hand.
- Grappling Hook can now be bought from the Goblin Tinkerer for 2 .
- Dual Hook introduced.
- 1.0.6: Grapple hotkey added. Removed 60-second auto-disengage.
- Pre-Release: Grappling Hook and Ivy Whip introduced.