|Tooltip||'Get over here!'|
|Buy / Sell||2 / 40|
The Grappling Hook is the most basic of the Grappling hooks, a Tool that fires a hook at the end of a long chain in the direction of the cursor. The basic grappling hook has a horizontal range of ~19 tiles. If the hook hits a surface, it drags the player to that surface. Jumping or using the Grappling Hook again will disengage the player from a latched surface. (See the main page for more information.)
- Opening a door while a player is grappled to it will fling the player forward.
- The grappling hook can pull players through diagonal spaces that are normally too small for them to fit through.
- If you grapple a Platform and try to grapple another object, the Grappling Hook will grapple the platform again. The only possible way to grapple another object when this happens would be to jump off, then grapple your target object.
- If you have any flight or double jump accessories, grappling to a surface will recharge them, allowing you to use them again. You do not have to wait for the grappling hook to fully reel you in for this to work.
- Latching to a surface with the Grappling Hook can be used to prevent fall damage.
- Being latched to a surface provides immunity to knockback.
- Grappling the ground and releasing the latch before the chain fully reels in is a useful to quickly get to max sprinting speed when using Sprinting accessories.
- A one block thick column (block tower) can be built quickly by grappling the block by your head with the grapple hotkey while holding down the place block key with the cursor (this does not work as well for grappling hooks with multiple hooks such as the vine whip or dual hook as the ascention is not as rapid). This can be used to quickly make a vertical wall or to explore the skies for floating islands before wings are obtained. (it is best to use sand for the block tower if exploring for floating islands so that it can be deconstructed from ground level and thus avoiding harpies.
- Latching onto a door and opening the door launches you forward about 20 blocks
- In early-game, it may be advisable for players to acquire a gem hook, as it can be easier to find 15 gems (the most common being Amethyst, used for the Amethyst Hook) than to get a Hook from a Piranha or a Skeleton.
- The tooltip is a quote from the Mortal Kombat character Scorpion, when he throws a kunai attached to a rope (grappling hook) at opponents and drags them over to him.
- 1.2: Added new types of Grapple Hooks, such as the Amethyst Hook and the Sapphire Hook.
- 1.1: Can now be bought from the Goblin Tinkerer for 2 .
- 1.0.4: Tooltip added.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
|Iron and Lead|
|Toilet • Bathtub • Metal Fence|
Anvil • Sawmill • Cooking Pot • Chain
Chest • Barrel • Trash Can • Lamp Post
Empty Bucket • Grappling Hook • Flamethrower
Mechanical Eye • Mechanical Skull • Mechanical Worm
Inlet Pump • Outlet Pump
|Usual Tools • Grappling Hooks • Other Tools|
|Single Hooks||Grappling • Candy Cane • Amethyst • Topaz • Sapphire • Emerald • Ruby • Diamond • Bat|
|Multi Hooks||Skeletron Hand • Dual • Ivy Whip • Web Slinger • Spooky • Christmas|