Hooks are a classification of Tools that aid the player in traversing the terrain or Terraria. Each hook will fire a hook on a chain that extends a distance from the center of the player's position specific to the type of hook the character is using. If the hook hits a solid block or a platform, then the player will immediately be pulled in a direct line (disregarding gravity entirely) as close to the hooked block as possible, naturally preferring to put the center of the player character horizontally to the left or right of the block grappled.
Pressing the Grapple hotkey (PC Default: E or PS3: L1) will activate whichever hook the player has. The hook need only be in the player's inventory for the Grapple hotkey to function, and does not need to be in the hotbar. In the iOS game, dragging quickly from the player outwards will cast the projectile in that direction (again, the hook does not need to be in the hotbar). If the player has more than one hook in their inventory, the hook in the "earliest" position (reading it from left-to-right, and then top-to-bottom) is the hook that gets used.
Obtaining a grappling hook, usually the basic Grappling Hook or one of the gem hooks, are some of the first major mobility-boosting items players can gain, and can offer significantly more control than the jump-boosting accessories (such as Cloud in a Bottle) that the player can obtain around the same time.
As with many mobility-boosting items in Terraria, hooks also improve the effectiveness of the other types of mobility items rather than replacing (or being replaced by) them. One example is how grappling to a surface resets player's jump (or flight) as if they had touched foot on land again. This works the instant the player hooks a block, even before being pulled in. Another example would be how grappling hooks can be used to "jump-start" Sprinting accessories by grappling to a surface ahead of the player and taking advantage of the short-term speed boost. This is especially effective when grappling to a closed door and then opening it, which results in a burst of incredible speed and accelerates the player to maximum sprint instantly.
Some advanced hooks, such as the Ivy Whip, have multiple hooks that can be used to hook multiple blocks at the same time. If the player hooks a block, and then hooks another block, the player will be suspended at a point at the "averaged" mid-point of all the hooks. (Or as close as possible if there are obstacles in the way.) The hooks are stopped by blocks, but the chains are capable of passing through other blocks. Using multi-hook hooks can be used for careful positioning, allowing the player to hook a ceiling tile, then a floor tile, in order to suspend the player above certain locations. This is useful both for placing walls in open spaces, and in hanging above dangerous locations, like lava, to collect loot without falling in.
Each hook has its own specific characteristics, such as varying amounts of range, hook velocity, and number of hooks deployable, and how many hooks can remain latched at the same time. See the table below for more details, or visit the pages for the specific hooks.
These are the 14 hooks currently available:
|Grappling Hook||Crafted with a Hook and 3 Chains or purchased from the Goblin Tinkerer||~19 tiles||11.5||1||Single|
|Amethyst Hook||Crafted with 15 Amethysts||~18 tiles||10||1||Single|
|Topaz Hook||Crafted with 15 Topaz||~20 tiles||10.5||1||Single|
|Sapphire Hook||Crafted with 15 Sapphires||~22 tiles||11||1||Single|
|Emerald Hook||Crafted with 15 Emeralds||~24 tiles||11.5||1||Single|
|Ruby Hook||Crafted with 15 Ruby||~26 tiles||12||1||Single|
|Diamond Hook||Crafted with 15 Diamonds||~28 tiles||12.5||1||Single|
|Candy Cane Hook||Sometimes dropped by Presents (Currently bugged and doesn't drop)||~25 tiles||11.5||1||Single|
|Bat Hook||Sometimes dropped by Goodie Bags||~32 tiles||15.5||1||Single|
|Skeletron Hand||Sometimes dropped by Skeletron||~22 tiles||15||2||Simultaneous|
|Dual Hook||Sometimes dropped by Mimics||~28 tiles||14||2||One at a time|
|Ivy Whip||Crafted with 3 Vines and 12 Jungle Spores||~25 tiles||13||3||Simultaneous|
|Spooky Hook||Sometimes dropped by Mourning Wood||~35 tiles||15.5||3||Simultaneous|
|Christmas Hook||Sometimes dropped by Everscream||~35 tiles||15.5||3||Simultaneous|
|Web Slinger||Looted from Web Covered Chests||~16 tiles||10||8||Simultaneous|
It should be noted that the given reach of these hooks is the effective horizontal distance travelled by the hook from the player, not the distance from the origin.
- Grappling a platform with only one hook will pull the player inside the platform, meaning that the player will always hit that platform with subsequent grapples. You must jump to dislodge the hook, and aim at other blocks.
- The Ice Rod can be exploited in conjunction with the ability to reset flight/jumping accessories; By placing a block that can be grappled mid-flight, resetting flight time, and allowing functionally indefinite flight time for as long as the player can successfully manage to place blocks and grapple them accurately.
- Characters that have hooked a block are immune to gravity and knockback. As a strategy, some players purposefully grapple the ground in dangerous locations, such as near lava, to ensure they don't fall in if they take damage from an enemy.
- Players can also exploit immunity to gravity by "grappling the ground" to prevent fall damage. Be careful of using this trick recklessly, as the grappling hook will not function if it reaches the extent of its chain without hitting a block (the game counts it as a "miss" and doesn't check for collision with blocks on the return,) and - depending on the hook used - may prevent you from firing another hook to save yourself until the chain has fully retracted.
- Grappling the ground and releasing the latch before the chain fully reels in is a useful to quickly get to max sprinting speed in Hermes, Spectre, and Lightning Boots.
- Grappling a door and then opening it dislodges the hook, and flings the player towards the door at grapple speeds. This can similarly be exploited to "kickstart" Hermes Boots.
- Simultaneous multi-hook hooks are more useful for utility purposes, but tend to be less useful for quick transit.
|Usual Tools • Grappling Hooks • Other Tools|
|Single Hooks||Grappling • Candy Cane • Amethyst • Topaz • Sapphire • Emerald • Ruby • Diamond • Bat|
|Multi Hooks||Skeletron Hand • Dual • Ivy Whip • Web Slinger • Spooky • Christmas|