Statues are furniture items. There are a total of 83 different statues, most serving only as decoration, while some are also functional mechanisms that have an effect when connected to wires and activated. Depending on the statue, upon activation it may spawn enemies, drop items, or teleport an NPC to the statue's location. Most statues can be found already placed in any area underground (most frequently in the Dungeon and Underground Cabins), though Angel Statues appear in Chests. Like all furniture, a pickaxe must be used to free and collect them.
All placed functional statues.
These statues can be wired and activated to spawn enemies. See spawn limits for limitations that apply to these statues.
- Statue-spawned enemies don't drop coins.
- They do generally drop their other usual items, with the exception of the Mimic, which will only drop its banner.
These statues can be wired and activated to drop an item. See spawn limits for limitations that apply to these statues.
Decorative Statues have no function and only serve as decoration. They are generally found placed underground. The three Lihzahrd statues are only found in the Lihzahrd Temple, and are the only statues that do not appear to be made of stone. The Angel Statue is sometimes found in Chests.
These are crafted at the Heavy Work Bench for 50 Stone each.
Entities within range count towards spawn limit.
Activation of a spawning statue will not produce an item/character if a certain quantity of that entity already exists within a certain range. The range boundary is square, centered on the statue's spawning point.
| Spawn Limit
|| Distance (D) to Range Boundary
| Enemy and Critter Statues
|| Item Statues
|| 12.5 tiles (200 pixels)
|| 18.75 tiles (300 pixels)
|| 37.5 tiles (600 pixels)
|| 50 tiles (800 pixels)
|| Anywhere in the world
- Example: A new Bunny will not be spawned by an activated Bunny Statue if 3 or more Bunnies already exist within a 200 pixel radius.
All statues have a footprint of 6 tiles (2 wide, 3 tall). Each of these 6 tiles counts as a separate wire input, each of which can be wired separately using alternating wire colors. Each input has an individual cooldown period after activation. During an input's cooldown, activations from any trigger devices (switches, timers, pressure plates) will be ignored. For enemy & critter statues, this cooldown lasts exactly 0.5 seconds. Item statue inputs have a far longer 10 second cooldown.
- Example: A 1 Second Timer will only create a Heart spawn once every 10 seconds. A theoretical maximum of 6 hearts dropped every 10 seconds, per Heart Statue, can be achieved with multiple wire colors and at least two trigger devices. However, activations may be blocked by the above spawn limits, and blocked activations still trigger an input cooldown. Therefore, for maximum efficiency, activations should be carefully choreographed, never triggering more than 3 inputs simultaneously.
Creatures spawned by Fish and Bunny Statues during a Blood Moon will immediately become corrupted. Corrupt Goldfish and Corrupt Bunny enemies do not count against the spawn limits, allowing quicker farming. Another exception is the Bomb Statue, since Bombs may group together into stacks of up to 100 and each stack counts as a single item.
Shorter statues, like these Fish Statues
, still activate from any wires in its entire 2x3 tile space, even though some wires don't touch them graphically.
- With a single wire color, up to three independent 1-second timers can be wired per statue, for three spawns per second each. With all three wire colors, all six tiles of a statue can be connected to separate timers, for a possible six spawns per second. Enemy spawn limits apply, though if the enemies are instantly killed upon spawning (eg. if lava or a continually activated trap is used, as in the image to the right), each activation will successfully spawn an enemy.
- Connecting two or three 1-second timers to the same tile using multiple wire colors results in more spawns, though timing for the activation of the timer is required. The timers can override each other if their intervals are too close together. However, it is possible to activate all six blocks of a statue for six spawns per second with only two one-second timers if you use all three colors of wire.
- Functional statues have a 2-tile width x 3-tile height in which wires will be considered connected, even for shorter statues whose graphics don't appear to reach three tiles of height.
- Spawned enemies will drop items according to their specific drop rates, but they will not drop items that depend on circumstance rather than enemy type, such as Souls, Presents, and Biome Key Molds. The one exception is the KO Cannon, which can drop during a Blood Moon.
- Before the 1.1 update, the Angel Statue could be neither placed nor sold, and had no apparent use in the game. It was (and still is, even after the update) the subject of a running in-game joke, whereby NPCs will make reference to its useless nature. It was speculated to be a replacement for developer testing items, to prevent the overpowered test items from being hacked in. It could also simply be an in-joke among the game's developers. If the player acquires a Zapinator, Soul Scythe, Scythe, or Icemourne with an Inventory Editor, it will become an Angel Statue.
- The Angel Statue is listed to have 5 separate item IDs, but all 5 different statues will stack upon one another in your inventory.
- The Pillar Statue is the only statue that doesn't have a base.
A piranha statue in an underground cabin.
- 1.2.4: Added Shark Statue and letter and number statues.
- 22.214.171.124: Lucky Coin no longer drops coins from statue spawned monsters.
- Hardmode summon items will no longer drop from monsters that have been spawned from statues.
- Chests, crystal hearts, and statues should no longer spawn on Thin Ice.
- 1.2: Added three new Statues, found in the Lihzahrd Temple. Now require a Pickaxe to be harvested. Corrupt Goldfish and Bunnies spawned from Statues no longer drop money.
- 1.1.1: Statues no longer turn into Armor Statues when they are smashed from the top.
- 1.1: All other statues introduced.
- Pre-Release: Angel Statue introduced. Could not be placed or sold for any money.