Hammers are tools that are used to break background walls and to create half-blocks and slopes.
Higher-level hammers (e.g. Luminite Hammers) have high damage and can serve as weapons. Some can serve as both Hammers and Axes at the same time, known as Hamaxes. New players do not spawn with a hammer.
Any hammer may be used to break Shadow Orbs and Crimson Hearts. A Pwnhammer or better is required to destroy Altars, however this is only possible in a world where the Wall of Flesh has been defeated. When attempting to destroy one with a lesser hammer, or prior to defeating the Wall of Flesh, the player will take damage equal to half their current health, and the Altar will remain unharmed.
- 126.96.36.199: Added four new hamaxes crafted using Luminite Bars and Celestial Fragments.
- 1.2.4: Fixed bug where the player would float when standing between a downwards slope and a halftile.
- 1.2.3: Added upside down slopes. Fixed two of the floating player bugs where the player is wildly off the surface they are standing on.
- 1.2: Hammers produce half-blocks and slopes. Hammer no longer removes furniture, which is now removed with pickaxes or drills.
- 1.0.6: Hammers now destroy blocks faster, walls about twice as fast as other objects.