|Editors, please note: When updating information for items that existed prior to 1.3, remember that there are other, non-PC editions of the game to which the old information still applies. Try not to remove this older information as you add new 1.3 information.|
The difficulty mode is a character setting selected during character creation, and only applies to the character being created. There are 3 different options. The difficulty mode of a character determines what happens upon their death. Once a character has been created, the difficulty cannot be changed.
There is also a choice between Normal and Expert mode. This similarly can't be changed, and applies to the world instead of the character.
Character modes[edit | edit source]
Softcore mode[edit | edit source]
Softcore mode is the default gameplay mode, and the easiest. Characters will drop half of their money on death (rounded up), which can be retrieved, if the player chooses to do so. Softcore characters respawn immediately at their spawn point following death. In an Expert mode world, Softcore characters will drop 75% of their money.
Mediumcore mode[edit | edit source]
Mediumcore mode characters drop all of their items upon death, including money and ammo, which other players can then collect in multiplayer. Mediumcore characters still respawn at their spawn point following death.
Hardcore mode[edit | edit source]
Hardcore mode characters die permanently, and drop all of their items upon death, including money and ammo, which other players can then collect in multiplayer.
Death causes a Hardcore character to become a Ghost that can continue to observe the World but not affect it. Ghosts can fly, pass through walls, and continue to chat with other multiplayer users, but cannot interact with the environment in any way and cannot open a map. Other players are not able to see Ghosts.
Once a dead Hardcore character quits the current world, that character is permanently deleted. Items that the character placed in Chests will not be deleted, however items the character stored in Piggy Banks and Safes will be deleted.
World modes[edit | edit source]
Normal mode[edit | edit source]
This is the normal difficulty, as the name suggests. Nothing is changed in this mode.
Expert mode[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Expert Mode
Expert mode is designed for players who are very experienced with the game. Many things are changed to make the game harder, including more powerful enemies. As a special reward, bosses drop treasure bags which, in addition to the normal boss loot, also contain special items only available in expert mode. Several rare drops are also made slightly more common.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Difficulty mode is unrelated to Hardmode, which is a change to the World that occurs after the Wall of Flesh has been defeated.
- In the Console version, softcore mode is called "normal", and mediumcore is called "difficult". Hardcore is still called hardcore.
- You can't change difficulty in the Mobile version, all players are automatically set to softcore.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- New players may want to use softcore mode characters until they become more familiar with the game.
- Mediumcore characters may want to keep their second-best equipment in a chest in case of death.
- Hardcore mode can be utilized to freely explore a map by dying and flying through the ground and sky as a Ghost.
History[edit | edit source]
- 188.8.131.52: The proper items will now drop on Mediumcore/Hardcore deaths.
- 184.108.40.206: Fixed bug where Hardcore characters couldn't open the menu after death.
- 1.1.1: Mediumcore characters now correctly drop items with modifiers on death.
- 1.1: A Tombstone is now dropped upon the death of softcore characters.
- 220.127.116.11: Mediumcore characters now correctly drop ammo on death.
- Mediumcore mode introduced.
- Added Ghost sprite to replace dead Hardcore characters.
- 1.0.5: Hardcore mode introduced.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.
| Game mechanics |
|Combat||Attack speed • Autoswing • Critical hit • Damage • Knockback • Minions • Velocity|
|Environment||Ambient objects • Day and night cycle • Environment • Event • Map size • Moon • Music • NPC despawning • NPC spawning • Status messages|
|Interface||Minimap • Title messages|
|Items||Consumable • Crafting stations (By Hand) • Mining speed • Modifiers • NPC drops • Placement • Rarity • Storage • Use time • Value|
|Game||Config.json • Camera mode • Data IDs • Difficulty • Expert mode • Game controls • Lighting mode • NPC names|
|Multiplayer||Chat • Multiplayer|
|Player||Breath meter • Buffs and Debuffs • Death • Defense • Fall damage • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Mana • Player stats • Spawn|