- Not to be confused with Hardmode.
Hardcore mode is one of three difficulty modes available at character creation. Setting this option for a character enacts a much greater penalty upon their Death: If the character dies, the character will be deleted. Apart from this, a Hardcore character is the same as any other character.
Hardcore mode is enabled on a per-character basis only, and does not affect the World. Therefore, you can have both Hardcore and Mediumcore/Softcore characters in the same multiplayer world. You can also enter a single-player world using characters of different difficulties at different times.
A Ghost sprite replaces dead Hardcore characters until they exit to the main menu, at which point the character will be deleted. Ghosts can fly, pass through walls, observe and continue to chat with other multiplayer users, but can not interact with the environment in any way.
Although the character is deleted upon death, the world is persistent. In multiplayer, any items the character kept in their inventory will be dropped, making it possible for another player to collect them. Items kept in Chests will also not be deleted, however items a character stored in Piggy Banks and Safes will be deleted.
- Hardcore mode is unrelated to Hardmode, which is a state that a World enters after the Wall of Flesh is defeated. Hardcore mode instead applies to a character.
- Hardcore mode can be utilized to freely explore a map by dying and flying through the ground and sky as a Ghost.
- 1.1.1: Hardcore characters now correctly drop items with modifiers on death.
- 1.0.6: Added Ghost sprite to replace dead Hardcore characters.
- 1.0.5: Introduced.
- 1.2.3: When character gets killed on hardcore difficulty "Options" link does not work and cannot exit to menu
|Attack Speed • Breath meter • Buffs • By hand • Consumable • Crafting station • Critical hit • Damage • Data IDs • Day/Night • Death • Debuffs • Defense • Difficulty • Environment • Fall Damage • Game controls • Ghost • Health • Inventory • Knockback • Lighting mode • Mana • Map Size • Minimap • Minions • Modifier • Moon • Music • NPC drops • NPC Spawning • Placement • Player stats • Rarity • Spawn • Storage • Use time • Value • Velocity|