|| Crafting material
| Max stack
| Use time
| Internal Item ID: 58
- For strategies on mining Hellstone, see Guide:Mining Techniques#Mining Hellstone.
Hellstone is an ore that can be found in the Underworld. Mining Hellstone requires at least a Nightmare Pickaxe, its Crimson world equivalent the Deathbringer Pickaxe, or better. It can be smelted into Hellstone Bars at a Hellforge, which requires 3 Hellstone (4 on mobile and xbox) and 1 Obsidian.
Hellstone inflicts the Burning debuff on the player when they touch it, damaging them unless they wear an Obsidian Skull, an Obsidian Shield, an Obsidian Horseshoe, or an Ankh Shield; or drink an Obsidian Skin Potion. It also releases half a block of lava when mined in the Underworld, making it a very dangerous material to mine.
Placing and mining Hellstone will create lava, making it a portable lava source and making lava a renewable resource. However, it only releases lava when mined in the Underworld.
- Spelunker buff does not light up Hellstone as it is not considered an ore. However, this is not a hamper to mining, as Hellstone glows on its own. However, if you need it, Hellstone will light up when you have the Dangersense Buff applied.
- Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- No longer causes invincibility frames when touched, instead giving the Burning Debuff.
- 1.1: Hellstone can now be destroyed by dynamite or bombs while in Hardmode. Rarity changed from White to Green.
- 1.0.6: Hellstone no longer emits light, and now releases lava when mined, but only in The Underworld.
- 1.0.5: Now has a sparkle effect.
- Hellstone and Obsidian now require at least a Demonite pick to gather.
- Hellstone now correctly takes as long to dig as meteor does.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.