- For strategies on mining Hellstone, see Guide:Mining Techniques#Mining Hellstone.
Hellstone is an ore that can be found in the Underworld. Mining Hellstone requires at least a Nightmare/Deathbringer Pickaxe or better. Hellstone in the Underworld emits a faint glow and releases a half-tile of lava when mined, a full tile on Expert Mode. Hellstone tools are among the most powerful that can be acquired in Pre-hardmode, rivaled only by the fish themed tools that can be caught from fishing.
Hellstone inflicts the Burning debuff on players who touch it. Items that protect the player from fire blocks (including the Obsidian Skull, Obsidian Shield, Obsidian Horseshoe, Ankh Shield, Obsidian Water Walking Boots, Lava Waders, and Obsidian Skin Potions) will allow players to touch it without incurring fire damage.
- The Spelunker buff will not light up Hellstone, however the Dangersense buff will. Nevertheless, it can be found easily due to the sparks it produces.
- In hardmode, Hellstone can be destroyed with dynamite and bombs.
- 220.127.116.11: Placed Hellstone has a new texture.
- Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- No longer causes invincibility frames when touched, instead giving the Burning Debuff.
- 1.1: Hellstone can now be destroyed by dynamite or bombs while in Hardmode. Rarity changed from White to Green.
- 1.0.6: Hellstone no longer emits light, and now releases lava when mined, but only in The Underworld.
- 1.0.5: Now has a sparkle effect.
- Hellstone and Obsidian now require at least a Nightmare Pickaxe to gather.
- Hellstone now correctly takes as long to dig as meteor does.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.