- For strategies on mining Hellstone, see Guide:Mining Techniques#Mining Hellstone.
Hellstone is an ore that can be found in the Underworld. Mining Hellstone requires at least a Nightmare/Deathbringer Pickaxe (≥65% Mining Power) or better. Hellstone in the Underworld emits a faint glow and releases a half-tile of lava when mined, a full tile on Expert Mode. Hellstone tools are among the most powerful that can be acquired in Pre-hardmode, rivaled only by the fish themed tools that can be caught from fishing, the Reaver Shark, Sawtooth Shark, and Rockfish.
Hellstone inflicts the Burning debuff on players who touch it. Items that protect the player from fire blocks (including the Obsidian Skull, Obsidian Shield, Obsidian Horseshoe, Ankh Shield, Obsidian Water Walking Boots, Lava Waders, and Obsidian Skin Potions) will allow players to touch it without incurring fire damage.
- Hellstone will not create lava if mined outside of the Underworld.
- The Spelunker buff will not light up Hellstone, however, the Dangersense buff will. Nevertheless, it can be found easily due to the sparks it produces.
- In Hardmode, Hellstone can be destroyed with Dynamite and Bombs.
- Hellstone, Meteorite and Luminite are the only ores that do not have "ore" in the name.
- 1.3.1: Inventory sprite updated.
- 126.96.36.199: Placed sprite updated.
- Stack limit increased from 250 to 999.
- No longer causes invincibility frames when touched, instead giving the Burning Debuff.
- 1.1: Hellstone can now be destroyed by dynamite or bombs while in Hardmode. Rarity changed from White to Green.
- 1.0.6: Hellstone no longer emits light, and now releases lava when mined, but only in The Underworld.
- 1.0.5: Now has a sparkle effect.
- Hellstone and Obsidian now require at least a Nightmare Pickaxe to gather.
- Hellstone now correctly takes as long to dig as meteor does.
- Pre-Release: Introduced.